“Poor alternative to Pompoko” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Poor alternative to Pompoko”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Good space inside but food took ages to arrive, didn't taste that good. Much prefer Pompoko in terms of taste and value.

• Visited August 2012

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Great value Japanese food, nice alternative to Pompoko.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Pompoko on Church Street is undoubtedly Brighton's most popular "fast-food Japanese" place, meaning that it's unbearably busy most of the time. That's why Mr. Noodles on Queen's Road provides a fantastic (and surprisingly little known) nearby alternative at a similar price point. At just £2-3 for a starter/side and £5-£7 for a main, this is a great spot to stop for a cheap bite to eat at lunchtime. The food quality is reflected in the low price - it's most definitely café rather than restaurant standard - but I don't think you can argue with what you get for your money. My usual spread is edamame beans, fish rolls (they do a small selection of sushi) and chicken teryaki with rice, which comes to about £10 in total. Unlike Pompoko, they're licensed and sell beer and wine. They do bubble tea too, which you shouldn't knock until you've tried!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“I tried it...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I went there for lunch with a friend who recommended it. We were the only customers in there at the time. Service was awful. We ordered the food, and drinks. My drink never arrived (!), and when we were given utensils, I never got a napkin (my friend did though) - had to ask for my drink and a napkin when my food arrived. and seeing as there were two of us in the whole place, I would have expected a much better service. Another disappointment is that they didn't have anything from the Sushi menu to order, which we were told AFTER we ordered sushi, so we only ended up having a main. I had the Sweet & Sour Chicken. Presentation was nice, and it tasted ok, but I left feeling hungry, as portion size was not enough. Wouldn't go there again.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
brighton
“Pompoko is better look it up”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

So my boyfriend and I stopped in at Mr noodles as we were on the road and needed a quick meal before he started his gig at The Hope.

The food was ok, Pompoko is much better if your reading this look it up and go there instead if your looking for Cheap japanese food. It's slightly cheaper and much bigger portions. Pompoko is right next to the pavillion.

Back to Mr noodles... as I said it was ok for something quick if your in the area. I ordered the chicken teriyaki and I can honestly say the sauce that was on it tasted like chip shop curry sauce haha. This is definitely not a place to go if your looking for a romantic meal neither is Pompoko really as it is more like a cafe but still great.

Okinami is a great place for a romantic japanese meal but the prices are quite a bit more but worth it! Hope this has helped.

Would I go back to Mr noodles, No. I'd rather walk 10-15 minutes to Pompoko.

• Visited February 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Its "OK" but nothing special….”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

This place is cheap, but there is good reason for that - the ingredients used are cheap and cheerful - its obvious from the tastes and textures.

What they describe as 'fillet steak / beef' is a joke - its like chewing on the base of Gandhi's flip flop (not that I have done that of course but its the best way I could explain it).

Staff are fine and this to me is OK for a quick lunchtime snack, but thats about as far as it goes…...

• Visited January 2012