“Wonderful for breakfast!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Came here for breakfast on a saturday morning and was greeted with excellent friendly staff, amazing atmosphere, good veggie option. Would definitely recommend to anybody.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I needed to find a good restaurant in the North Laines area of Brighton, at short notice, and for a large group of 18 (yes, eighteen) people. Having had a lovely meal at this restaurant a year ago, I wanted to go back there. I was very nearly put off by the very negative reviews I read on TripAdvisor, but decided to give it a try nonetheless.
When I phoned and told the proprietor that I had a group of 18 who needed to be fed and watered and out on their way in an hour and a half, he could not have been more helpful and welcoming, so I made the booking. He contacted me during the afternoon to check on numbers, and to offer us some mixed platters while we were waiting for our meal.
When we arrived at 7 pm, all 18 of us, the table was laid, the staff were waiting, the starters were brought to us, and our orders were taken - all within minutes. Drinks were brought on request, bread baskets replenished, and our 18 main dishes arrived promptly - and all fromfriendly and helpful staff.
The food was excellent, and nobody had a complaint about the quality or quantity. The bill was brought quickly, and we even had time for a coffee, all well within the 90 minutes we had available, before heading back to our concert.
I wonder how many restaurants could have coped with our very unreasonable demand, and done so in such a pleasant manner. I can only guess that the member of staff who so upset your other correspondents is either no longer working at this restaurant or has had a complete change of character; there was nobody working there who remotely fitted his description.
Thank you, Mange Tout, for looking after us so well yesterday.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

A little tricky to locate from the station, as on a different level but once found, it certainly met expectations of previous good reviews. Perfectly formed poached eggs can be accompanied by all sorts but the tomato purée on the toast was delicious as was the wilted spinach. With tastily brewed coffee and Tea Pigs on the menu, they could do no wrong. Just happened to visit on a nice sunny morning and managed to get a pavement table. Perfect start to the day

1  Thank Chopsuey66
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

To be honest the way I was treated by one of the staff (the other appeared courteous) I don't think I'd have stayed were it not for the lack of alternatives at the time. Terrible service didn't make up for reasonable food. Avoid unless you like being barked at.

2  Thank Adeling79
Reviewed May 7, 2013

After wondering around the lanes trying to decide between the dozens of tea & coffee shops Brighton has to offer me & my girlfriend decided that this one looked like the one for us, sadly we were very disappointed.
Upon entering we were attended to by a very unfriendly man who chucked the menus at us & informed us there was "no food, just drinks".
We waited about 10 minutes for him to return to take our order - a cup of tea and a cup of hot chocolate.
30 minutes pass, all the while we sit there contemplating leaving, even witnessing a group of women walk in, sit down only to get up & leave 10 minutes later, I cant blame them.
We finally receive our order, a pot of hot water with a tea bag in a cup...30 minutes it took for them to do that.
I watch the room of people (about 5 tables of customers) all looking towards the front desk as they all try to attract the staffs attention but the main waiter is to busy stomping around the room adjusting tables 3mm to the left several times.
After finishing our drinks I go to the front to pay, i receive my change angrily thrust into my hands. No smile, no thank you.
Having gone to Brighton may times for day trips I'm always looking for new places to recommend to people but this place has to be avoided at all costs, unfriendly & slow service. Avoid.

1  Thank Chris W