“Disappointing”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

To be honest the way I was treated by one of the staff (the other appeared courteous) I don't think I'd have stayed were it not for the lack of alternatives at the time. Terrible service didn't make up for reasonable food. Avoid unless you like being barked at.

2 Thank Adeling79

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Angry & slow service. AVOID”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

After wondering around the lanes trying to decide between the dozens of tea & coffee shops Brighton has to offer me & my girlfriend decided that this one looked like the one for us, sadly we were very disappointed.
Upon entering we were attended to by a very unfriendly man who chucked the menus at us & informed us there was "no food, just drinks".
We waited about 10 minutes for him to return to take our order - a cup of tea and a cup of hot chocolate.
30 minutes pass, all the while we sit there contemplating leaving, even witnessing a group of women walk in, sit down only to get up & leave 10 minutes later, I cant blame them.
We finally receive our order, a pot of hot water with a tea bag in a cup...30 minutes it took for them to do that.
I watch the room of people (about 5 tables of customers) all looking towards the front desk as they all try to attract the staffs attention but the main waiter is to busy stomping around the room adjusting tables 3mm to the left several times.
After finishing our drinks I go to the front to pay, i receive my change angrily thrust into my hands. No smile, no thank you.
Having gone to Brighton may times for day trips I'm always looking for new places to recommend to people but this place has to be avoided at all costs, unfriendly & slow service. Avoid.

1 Thank Chris W
“MANGE-TOUT... AH OUI! SERVICE...AH NON, CERTAINEMENT PAS!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Four of us went for tea and cakes on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

From the moment we got there, the awful attitude of one of the waiters put all of us on edge!

I merely asked if I could adjoin a middle free table with the end one to give us more room... One of us heavily expectant at 8 months and one other with a bad leg recovering from surgery.

The waiter in question practically bit my head off..."No it's fine as it is,you can just sit here" he says pointin at the middle table. I was taken so aback that I said "Ok" when he sees my face and says tersely "Or well, you're just going to have to wait for me to get rid of these before I can do anything!" pointing at the dirty crockery in his hands. Thinking I was being helpful, I said,"No don't worry, one of us can just slide the table across." He frantically replies "No! No, I'll do it" and stomps off! I felt like I was back in Paris late 90's, pre customer service education days!

We were tired, just wanted to chill so sat where we got to and enjoyed the delicious cakes and teapig. The other waiters were fine but clearly the slimmest, flower-wearing immaculate dresser Garçon had issues!

As we caught his eye twice for requesting the bill and two waves going ignored, the most placid one of our group calmly walked to the counter to request our bill and inform the incompetent waiter that we weren't just waving at him!

Bill arrives with service on it, because we couldn't be bothered with yet another fuss... Paid it and bid our Adieu.

Better off at Cocoa or Hotel du Vin!

1 Thank Mydoshmatters
brighton
“Good place and a real variety on offer....”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Its a good place because they do daily specials, breakfast (good range of options) from 9-4 !, coffee and a pudding (excellent brownies pudding) any time and really good and interesting salads, so whatever you want whenever you want it is available for and at a reasonable price. Unusually they have a range of coffee served french style (as well as italian and the ever present flat white). Decor is interesting with changing artworks too.....

• Visited April 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Excellent Eggs!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Came here to avoid uninteresting hotel buffet, and was very happy we did. Lovely little local cafe with a small breakfast menu, and a large lunch menu. Menu had a bit of a french twist to it, so no Full English, but I was perfectly pleased with that. They had some veggie option which I was very happy with, and the coffee was delicious. My husband greatly enjoyed his eggs benedict. The orange juice was freshly squezed. We spent 5 more pounds then we would have if we had had the breakfast at the hotel, but with the atmosphere and the delcious food it was well worth the extra money.

Visited April 2013