“Not so good”

Ranked #2 of 66 Coffee & Tea in Brighton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A lively tea room that also serves wine and beers. We specialise in Afternoon tea and tea cocktails and are dog friendly too. For something a little bit different and for a little treat then come and see us- you won't believe the size of our cakes.
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Went today with my friend who has wanted to visit for a long time. Very dissapointed with the salad's we had which were very small for the price we paid. No dressings offered, so very dry. Staff unfriendly and unwelcoming. Customer care needs to be improved. Left feeling ripped off.

1  Thank Jasper474
There are newer reviews for Metrodeco

Reviewed June 20, 2014

4 of us visited this restaurant for an afternoon tea as we had our son and girlfriend down from London and after reading the reviews, only to be told that we have to book as they need to get things in???
Very disappointed as their website says 'may need to book' not do need to book, and there were cakes on show.
Very retro with holes in floorboards and a funny animal smell, and they were not over friendly either.
Will not being going again, booked or not.

Pompina, Owner at Metrodeco, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

I am really sorry you were disappointed with your trip to Metrodeco and that our staff appeared unfriendly. Our staff are all naturally friendly people as we look for this when we recruit and so I apologise if the staff were perhaps preoccupied and not as attentive as they should have been on the day you came in.
With regard to the Afternoon Tea it is very often the case that booking is required though occassionally we may have enough items that we can do one for a 'walk in' customer. The cakes on display are not what we use for our Afternoon tea, we use totally different items that we get in fresh for the bookings. We do sometimes get more in but if these have been used then we just can't offer an Afternoon Tea as described on the website.
With regard to the funny animal smell, we are a dog friendly café so it was perhaps a a pungent dog that you could smell. We are very thorough with hygeine and dogs are only allowed in the front area but of course they will sometimes leave a doggy smell.
My apologies once again and I am sorry that you won't be coming back as we do love the fact that many of our customers come back to see us whenever they visit the area.
Regards,
Helen
co-owner

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Popped into Metro Deco for a snack and cuppa, on hearing good things about them and also seeing it featured on a tv programme some time ago. The furniture was retro the ambience ok. I found the staff quite dismissive and unfriendly.
The food which we had was good and the tea was ok. The cake selection looked nice but I didn't have any. I would rather feel welcomed and at ease when I choose to eat somewhere but unfortunately that didn't happen here.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Had some close family visiting the day from California, so decided to take them for afternoon tea.
Decided on Metrodeco having bought loose tea from there but not sat down.
Well cannot make any complaint tea wonderful a vast variety to choose from, then the platters came out bottom tier sandwiches if I remember correctly 1 of each selection per person, middle tier scones, 2 each with clotted cream and jam, top tier a selection of cakes.
There were 6 of us and we still managed not to finish all the cakes so a box was taken back to London with my guest to enjoy later.
A very enjoyable and memorable time, at I think £16 per head excellent value.would recommend booking so as not to be disappointed .

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We had carrot cake for lunch, very good loved it. Girls were friendly (staff) and we enjoyed the decoration. We had a toasted sandwich, which was really good. Usually busy so book!