“A lovely cup of tea!”

Metrodeco
Ranked #2 of 33 Dessert in Brighton
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: A lively tea room that also serves wine and beers. We specialise in Afternoon tea and tea cocktails and are dog friendly too. For something a little bit different and for a little treat then come and see us- you won't believe the size of our cakes.
herts
“A lovely cup of tea!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I took my daughter here for tea and cake.Tea delicious and very good coffee and walnut cake.Pleasant staff and quirky surroundings.

• Visited October 2013

London, UK
“Great place, fab food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We went to Metrodeco for afternoon tea to celebrate my sister's hen weekend. I'd called and booked a couple of months previously and the staff had been extremely helpful and when we arrived they were just as good. We loved the quirky feel of the place and we had a table reserved downstairs, surrounded by antique furniture and knick-knacks. There was a great choice of tea and the food was fantastic - and so much of it that we took nearly all of the petit fours back home with us as we'd filled up on everything else! It's off the beaten tr

1 Thank jksgf
London, United Kingdom
“tea and cake”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

There is a warm welcome and cup of tea waiting for you at metro deco. Its the perfect place for almost every occassion or just because. Lunch was simple but excellent and the cake and tea selection is excellent as is the wait staff

1 Thank Bedbathandbeyound
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Pros and cons”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

The eclectic decor speaks for itself as regards the atmosphere. It ranges from trendy boardroom to chintzy, kitsch gay boudoir and suits the laid back, Brighton-esque open-mindedness of the place. The ladies that run it are a bit like the furniture too, - interesting and welcoming, although one of them seems nicer than the other.
I ordered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on bagel, and sadly when it arrived it wasn't on bagel, it was served beside one piece of sliced bread, toasted and drenched in butter so that when I picked it up it just flopped down onto the plate like wet cotton wool. The salmon was alright, but the eggs had flobbly half-raw bits in it, which I do acknowledge is the way that some people prefer their scrambled eggs - I prefer mine whisked to within an inch of their life with no white bits left. So, in general, I liked the look and feel of the place more than I liked the food. The pot of Chrysler breakfast tea I had was fantastic though.

2 Thank Barilyn U
Pompina, Owner at Metrodeco, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hello Tobias, thank you for posting your review. I am sorry you didn't get the bagel you ordered and that your eggs were not how you like them. It is a shame you didn't mention it on the day ( or perhaps you did) as we would certainly have got you a new dish as usually our eggs get very good comments and are a popular choice. I am fussy about my eggs too so I know what you mean. I am also sorry you feel one of the owners appears nicer than the other. I hope we both have our good points and we do both value our customers and always want them to feel welcome. It is probably me that is the "less nice one" as I know I am not always as chirpy as my business partner but I hope this does not take away from your experience of our shop too much.If it doesn't cause you too much embarrassment I or one of my staff would be very happy to serve you a scrambled egg whisked to perfection and served flufffy and light on a bagel, on the house, along with a pot of Chrysler which I am pleased to hear you enjoyed on your last visit, it would be terrible if we got that wrong. Hope to see you soon.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Felt in the way”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We went to Metrodeco a few years ago when it first opened and have never been back. We thought we would try it again for a light Sunday lunch. Not sure I will be back. They were setting up for a singer doing a gig later that afternoon so most of the tables were booked even though it was virtually empty. We were plonked on the table next to the till listening to the staff having their conversation. Coffee was good but sandwiches fairly average. To be honest I just felt like we were in the way. Not sure I get why it is so popular.

1 Thank BrightonBelle_10
Pompina, Owner at Metrodeco, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hi Brighton Belle, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your last visit to Metrodeco. It would certainly not be our intention to make you feel in the way and I am sorry you felt dumped at the till. It is actually usually a popular place to sit though everyone it doesn't suit everyone.
Anyway I just thought I would explain what was happening the day you visited us.
The singer that was playing that afternoon was singing for free to our customers as background music which we thought would be a nice thing to do.As fabulous as she was perhaps it did make customers feel uncomfortable and though I did get some positive feedback too, I am now concerned it didn't really work and maybe other customers felt the same way as you. The empty tables you saw were actually reserved for Afternoon Tea bookings rather than the performer and unfortunately as we have to set the tables in advance it can seem a bit odd to walk into a near empty room and not have a choice as to where you can sit. There is not much I can do about that but it has been noted before so I can see how you might feel.
I do hope you do come and visit us again and have a better experience. We will certainly do our best to give you the table you want, away from the chattering staff.