“Sumptuous”

Ranked #2 of 66 Coffee & Tea in Brighton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A lively tea room that also serves wine and beers. We specialise in Afternoon tea and tea cocktails and are dog friendly too. For something a little bit different and for a little treat then come and see us- you won't believe the size of our cakes.
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were taken by friends to this cafe because of its quirky Art Deco furnishibgs and its great tasting cakes. We were not disapointed the cakes were fantastic ,rich moist sumptuous,coffee excellent and friendly staff. The whole place is furnished with period furniture for sale and comes complete with some Art Deco people who bring with them even more character.I had buttermilk pancakes with crispy bacon and syrup, delicios and very filling ,not sure I've seen them on a UK menue before.
Downstairs is an Art Deco showroom where you can buy furniture and bric a brac from the period we saw something ourselves so our morning coffee and cake finished up being rather expensive!

We look forward to our next visit

2  Thank Foodhero
There are newer reviews for Metrodeco

Reviewed January 2, 2013

A nice quirky and unusual cafe. Beautiful home made cake. Very friendly staff. Unusual furniture which is actually for sale!

2  Thank Paul W
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Have had tea and cake here several times, really nice feel to the place with `quirky` tables/chairs/ornaments etc... a little on the pricey side but well worth it as good quality cakes etc. Serve really good coffee and a good selection of teas, well worth a visit!

1  Thank dannyboy003
Reviewed December 20, 2012

A lovely combination of tea shop and antique shop. Cakes to die for and great selection of teas. Best of all Colin the collie comes in with us too. The owners are lovely but last time we visited the owners were not about and the service was decidedly slack. The two staff spent their time busying about but managed to overlook customers (including us) who were clearly waiting to be served. Hopefully this was a one-off as it's a great little place and you get the odd celebrity there too.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Smaller than I expected (its a Victorian corner shop premises) but I can understand the overwhelming positive reviews. We visited early afternoon on a Sunday without a reservation and were lucky to get a seat. There was a large group who eventually encouraged us to leave as it got louder and hotter as the afternoon went on. We had two glasses of pink Pressco served in champagne saucers and reasonable price. I chose the coffee and walnut cake and my husband the Victoria sandwich cake. The slices are generous and all of the cakes on the counter looked amazing. There were two if not three gluten free options which is rare. My cake was perfect & I managed to sample the VS too which was good but not so bouncy as to be excellent (picky I know).
Cake was washed down by a pot of green tea - called the devil is a lady (I think). It was a mild flavour and is, as all the teas, available to buy by the bag.
All a very pleasant experience - great for afternoon tea but not comparable to a hotel afternoon tea experience - it's more 'Brighton' than that!!