“A beautiful surprise”

Sabai Thai Gastrobar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sabai Thai Gastrobar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 1,163 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sabai show's tremendous consistency having won a certificate of excellence award for the last 4 years running. The Thai word Sabai translates simply as relaxed, the perfect description of this Brighton gastrobar where the urban cool of London on Sea is matched to the ethnic charm of the Land of Smiles. Bringing a taste of Phuket's beach bars and Bangkok's most upmarket restaurants to the UK, Sabai is all about chilling out, South East Asian style a fact which is patently clear from the silk floor cushions, cocktail menu and warm, smiling welcome. The deep red and dark wood, gold and green interior is as beautiful as Sabai's freshly cooked, authentic food, MSG free and made using local ingredients where possible and imported Thai herbs and spices where essential. Because everything is made to order, special requests are welcomed.
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We almost walked past this place on a weekend visit to Brighton, the weekend of the gay pride parade, on a Saturday night about 9pm. We were welcomed and there was one free table in a cosy corner. The place has a welcoming, cosy atmosphere with very friendly staff and a happy ambience. The food was amazing! I have limited experience of Thai food but my partner had lived in Thailand and experienced 'real' Thai food. He thought it would be too spicy for me but the soup I had, Tom Yum Gai, whilst spicy, was beautifully flavoursome and tasty. I also had the Tamarind Duck and it was totally divine, we both agreed. He had the massaman curry with a special request for no peanuts which they happily complied with.
A fabulous find for us and we will be back.

There are newer reviews for Sabai Thai Gastrobar

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Although i have visited Sabai on many an occasion this is the first time ive got round to writing a review which should have come about way sooner.

Sabai might not be the first restaurant recommended when you ask for a Thai in Brighton, usually you have the boring answer of 'Giggling Squid'. I was recommended Sabai by a work colleague who informed me of its tucked away and unique location and myself and my girlfriend decided to give it a try.

Its not the largest space but what they have done with the place is great. Very authentic and attention to detail has gone into every aspect of the layout. Very welcoming and attentive staff who could not do enough to ensure our dining experience was pleasant. Bryan, one of the owners came over and introduced himself and had a brief chat which is nice and something you will never get in a chain of restaurants.

The menu is vast and has everything you would expect from a Thai and then some. Also for those with an eye on Gluten free dishes there are plenty of choices all clearly marked on the menu. We decided to go for a couple of different starters including spring rolls, satay chicken and prawn toast. For main both of us tried different curries. We went safe for our first visit but have since tried many items on the menu. I can say this is the best Thai i have had outside of Thailand itself. The dishes come hot and the food is flavorsome and filling in a way i find most other Thai's are not. Even the starters such as spring rolls were far nicer than i have tried anywhere else.

Overall we always have a great time when visiting Sabai and are met with smiles and treated like old friends returning from a trip who are treated to the best thai food in town!

Keep it up!

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Ordered from their online menu and collected from store. Great selection of vegetarian appetisers and meals. Reasonably priced and really really tasty. Would definitely recommend!

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Short three day trip to Brighton with my hubby, best meal we had while we were there, the food was delicious and the atmosphere was just lovely :)

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Not having been to Brighton before, we didn't know what to expect and didn't research enough. This restaurant was ok. I would have preferred to take my chances at the beach front where there are many options and fresh seafood is available.