“Friendly, fun and authentic”

Sabai Thai Gastrobar
Ranked #121 of 1,321 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sabai show's tremendous consistency having won a certificate of excellence award for the last 4 years running. The Thai word Sabai translates simply as relaxed, the perfect description of this Brighton gastrobar where the urban cool of London on Sea is matched to the ethnic charm of the Land of Smiles. Bringing a taste of Phuket's beach bars and Bangkok's most upmarket restaurants to the UK, Sabai is all about chilling out, South East Asian style a fact which is patently clear from the silk floor cushions, cocktail menu and warm, smiling welcome. The deep red and dark wood, gold and green interior is as beautiful as Sabai's freshly cooked, authentic food, MSG free and made using local ingredients where possible and imported Thai herbs and spices where essential. Because everything is made to order, special requests are welcomed.
Reviewed January 13, 2013

It's really rare to find a Thai restaurant in the UK (or even in Thailand's resorts) that doesn't dumb down the spice levels for Western tastes. I was pleased to find that the Weeping Tiger beef salad came with a good spicy sauce - could have been hotter, but much less patronising than most UK Thai attempts! And the grilled beef was so meltingly tender. We also loved the Chiang Mai sausages and the gaeng hanglay - authentic North Thai spicing and textures.

Even on a busy Friday the owner found time to go round chatting to his customers - we had a long reminisce about Thai holidays, foods and customs with him. The staff were very helpful and friendly too.

The "fun" came in the shape of a couple of chilli mojitos - the combo of mint and red chilli is a really refreshing way to end a spicy meal.

Sabai appears to be very popular with locals and it's easy to see why - great value for money, great food and a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Date of visit: January 2013
1  Thank dirgegirl
Brian H, Owner at Sabai Thai Gastrobar, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for the kind words. We strive to make every dish as authentic as possible with the understanding that most western palates are not used to the extreme spice of some Thai dishes.
It was a pleasure talking to you and I hope I can welcome you back to Sabai in the future.

Brian
Co owner

Reviewed January 11, 2013

My title says it all. Fantastic food and great service. Sit at a table or on a cushion. Lovely ambience.

Date of visit: December 2012
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I visited on the last Friday of December without booking. Despite being very busy, we were offered a place at the bar which we were more than happy with, but whilst looking at the menu, the guy behind the bar took a risk and put us on the best table in the house as he thought that one of his smaller tables would free up in time. He then recommended a couple of dishes which were sublime. The food is excellent, very reasonably priced and the staff are all very nice. And the interior is lovely. What more could you ask for? Top tips are to book (!) and ask for recommendations - we had food we wouldn't normally have tried and it was well worth it.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My partner and I visited Brighton for New Years Eve, we looked on trip advisor for thai restaurants as it is my favourite food and this restaurant came up- it was faultless with lots of positive reviews.

As it was 5pm we rang on the off chance hoping there would be a slot left for us but we did not think it would be possible as it was New Years Eve and thought that it would be fully booked.However, they did have a slot and we were chuffed! Arrived at the restaurant and the service was impeccable, very friendly and attentive.

For New Years Eve there was a set menu which included; a starter, a soup, a main with rice or noodles, a dessert and tea or coffee AND a glass of Prosecco for £26 each. We were extremely impressed with the food, all of it was delicious! The portions were extremely good too. Lots of vegetarian food avaliable as well.

Would recommend this to everyone! It is the nicest thai restaurant I have ever been to. I wish it was my local and that I could visit it weekly.

Date of visit: December 2012
1  Thank Rachael B
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We ate here recently. The food was delicious, very reasonably priced. The service was excellent as well. My wife and I as well as our two children had a lovely meal.

If you want a Thai meal in Brighton I would certainly recommend this place.

Date of visit: January 2013