“Not fit for human consumption”
Review of The Willows

The Willows
Ranked #82 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Not fit for human consumption”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

DO NOT IGNORE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS THIS PLACE HAS RECEIVED! They are entirely valid, and you ignore them at your own peril.

Not even a low price can justify this squalid excuse of a bedsit.

The service is dire, upon arrival we were met by a pre-pubescent teen who honestly did know how to do her job. She didnt know where our key was, half mumbled an apology, told us to use our card to pay would incur a 2.5% charge, even though nowhere on the booking site was this mentioned. Then, to top of her repugnant service, she didnt even show us to our room, which was 2 floors up.

Upon traversing these narrow stairs, we encountered hammers, ladders, and nails carelessly left on the stairs with the workman nowhere to be seen. It is understandable to be doing work, but a) to not have your receptionist guide you up when you know work is being done, and b) to leave large tools all over the stairs and not safely and tidily when not in use is unforgivable.

The room was horrendous. The carpet was FILTHY, you could almost see the fleas dancing merrily, i dared not take off my shoes, there was no wardrobe, the furniture barely deserves the name, literally ramshackle odd bits they have put in without a thought as to where they should go. Consequently the tv is on a cabinet with no drawers, there is a kettle and lamp in one corner of the room on a footstool, and there is one bedside cabinet on one side of a double bed (2 singles put together).

Further, they have converted what looks like a wardrobe into a bathroom. It does not have a door in the conventional sense, it literally does appear to be a former built in closet. It is so small you could literally be sitting on the toilet, whilst brushing your teeth at the sink, with your legs in the shower.

The toilet nearly comes off the wall when you sit on it, there was no hot water, no plug hole, pubic hairs in the shower, and the shower looked like it belonged in a concentration camp. Consequently, I didnt even wash whilst staying here because I felt as though I would get contaminated if I took my clothes off.

There is no breakfast either, which was ok as you would neither expect it at this price, nor want it from such a hovel.

It doesnt even feel safe. The room locks barely deserve the name, the rooms are so dilapidated you feel there could be voyeur cameras everywhere, and it honestly was extremely uncomfortable, and I say this as a man who has slept in quite a few rough places.

Honestly, please do not give such undeserving scoundrels your money. You may feel you are saving your money, but unless your alternative is sleeping outside in the rain, then I cannot stress enough that you are very likely to be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MichaelB333190722

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Me and 2 girlfriends on a nigh out in Brighton just wanted a cheap, clean room to put our heads down, and that's exactly what we got. Very happy and good value. We even had parking for £5 a night right outside the hotel! Plus a perfect view of Brighton pier. Can't understand what others are moaning about. If they wanted more they should have dug deeper in their pockets! Would defo come again!

• Stayed March 2013
Guemene-sur-Scorff, France
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Room very basic, TV and en-suite shower. This is not luxury, this is a place that is cheap and safe if you get caught out and need a place to stay. I found it to be very quiet, staff member very helpful. If you are used to Jury Inn, or Travel Lodges this is not anything like them, but at £20 for a double room, who can argue? I travel a lot and I got some sleep and was in the warm. Kettle in room, but no breakfast available on site, however just adjacent there is a fabulous cafe, open at 8am (sorry can't remember the name of it!). Parking could be an issue outside, but there are spaces on the sea front where you have overnight for free, until 9am anyway, do some research for that.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 6, a double room and got no traffic noise at all.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hungerford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

We paid £35 late checkout. Clean and tidy room no problem with shower at all. Basic clean very friendly staff. Got lost they stayed on longer to let us in. Only bad thing bed was 2 singles moved together. However it was very fun nonetheless ;-)

• Stayed February 2013
Cork
Reviewed January 27, 2013

After reading the reviews on this hotel we were not expecting much for our one night stay. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised, it was in a great location, everything was clean, everything in the room worked and staff were friendly, allowing us to leave our bags the next day until we were moving on later. The only small complaint was that the rooms got far too hot overnight!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Catherine K
Newquay
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I read the, frankly racist, reviews on here AFTER I had made a booking for New Years Eve, so I was dreading it really, but I couldn't cancel. First of all the staff, who I found helpful and friendly. Yes, they're Eastern European, what's that got to do with anything?

One of the reviews on here criticised the carpets and cleanliness. I don't know if they've had a refurb but my room was spotless with laminate flooring. Very small though with no storage, so ideal to crash out after New Years Eve but I wouldn't want to stay more than a couple of nights. The shower took about 3 minutes to generate a cold trickle.

Location is superb, although parking is a bit of a problem and expensive on the sea front. It's within staggering distance of the lovely Black Dove pub in Kemp Town, worth checking out for the Brooklyn beer alone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

After coming to Brighton for 5 days on business over the christmas period, not wanting to spend a fortune i choose to stay here! I read some reviews on here and expected the worst... On arrival i was greeted by a friendly Polish man who was polite and well mannered, i proceeded to the room, (which was a double) not bad at all, cant understand what people are saying on here about carpets as my room was laminated..! the bed was a little small and a little tired but it was clean and didnt bother me! If you want a budget hotel (£40 is about as budget as it gets in brighton) then this hotel is ideal, more for groups than couples. I would say best used as a base instead of the focus! Before i turned up here i was staying at drakes around the corner absolutely amazing but at £275 a night this is more my style, great location, close to everything though sometimes a little rowdy on a saturday night!

Room Tip: if you want luxury this isn't for you, but if you want a cheap base for an active weekend.. Amaz...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business