“Basic but clean and friendly”
Review of The Willows

The Willows
Ranked #83 of 93 Brighton B&B and Inns
Newquay
“Basic but clean and friendly”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I read the, frankly racist, reviews on here AFTER I had made a booking for New Years Eve, so I was dreading it really, but I couldn't cancel. First of all the staff, who I found helpful and friendly. Yes, they're Eastern European, what's that got to do with anything?

One of the reviews on here criticised the carpets and cleanliness. I don't know if they've had a refurb but my room was spotless with laminate flooring. Very small though with no storage, so ideal to crash out after New Years Eve but I wouldn't want to stay more than a couple of nights. The shower took about 3 minutes to generate a cold trickle.

Location is superb, although parking is a bit of a problem and expensive on the sea front. It's within staggering distance of the lovely Black Dove pub in Kemp Town, worth checking out for the Brooklyn beer alone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

After coming to Brighton for 5 days on business over the christmas period, not wanting to spend a fortune i choose to stay here! I read some reviews on here and expected the worst... On arrival i was greeted by a friendly Polish man who was polite and well mannered, i proceeded to the room, (which was a double) not bad at all, cant understand what people are saying on here about carpets as my room was laminated..! the bed was a little small and a little tired but it was clean and didnt bother me! If you want a budget hotel (£40 is about as budget as it gets in brighton) then this hotel is ideal, more for groups than couples. I would say best used as a base instead of the focus! Before i turned up here i was staying at drakes around the corner absolutely amazing but at £275 a night this is more my style, great location, close to everything though sometimes a little rowdy on a saturday night!

Room Tip: if you want luxury this isn't for you, but if you want a cheap base for an active weekend.. Amaz...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I am used to basic accomodation. I don't need luxury, I just need a clean bed.
I couldn't even get that here.

I read some negative reviews prior to booking this hotel, I just assumed people were being a bit awkward or snobby. Unfortunately for me, they were telling the truth.
Me and my sister were charged £40 immediately upon arrival by an un-helpful receptionist.
Lucky I paid cash though, they don't tell you about the 2.5 charge on debit/credit cards.

Our room looked basic, but okay. The only thing that bothered us was that the heating wasn't on, so the room was pretty cold (This is mid-december by the way, so you do need some kind of heating on.) I used the bathroom which was clean but the doors didn't even have a lock and you could see right through the gap between each door. The toilet didn't flush. At all.
I checked the bed....and there were stains on both the duvet cover and the sheets. I thought I'd be economical and sleep on the towel...but this was stained to.
The room in general just isn't worth £40 a night. It's worht £20 at most. They are over-charging you for what they provide.

I was really disappointed, and then worried because the lock on the bedroom door was very weak and it felt like anyone could get in if they wanted to. Me and my sister are only young and the abrupt staff member on reception intimidated us to a point where we felt the only option we had was to go down and ask for our money back. I have NEVER asked for a refund before. So this is quite a new thing for me.

I went down and complained about the lack of heating, un-flushable toilet and stained bedding and towels. I asked for my money back. He offered to get the maintenace man to 'show us' how to flush the toilet and put the heating on. He didn't offer to change our sheets. He also told me there was no manager available and that he couldn't refund me. He then said 'didn't you read the revies? This isn't a four star hotel'. So basically, he thought I was a snob. I left without my money because I didn't know what else to do. I felt intimidated and for want of a better word, robbed!

Luckily, I have a friend in Brighton who agreed to put us up. If it wasn't for him, we would've had to either pay for somewhere else, or suffer the dirty sheets.

If you are used to this sort of thing in hostels, then stay here. If not, look elsewhere. Awful place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank K C

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

i booked a room here with booking.com,under no circumstances book with these
i payed £45 for a room ,on arriving there i was greeted by an imigrant with no manners
i asked to see the room first,it was right up the top with no fire escape,
disgustingly filthy,booking .com still charged me after i walked away and refused to stay
you have been warned,i strongly advice you to leave this hotel alone
mike from dorset

Room Tip: i ended up staying in worthing a place called the baypub exellent at the same price with breakfast...
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mike d
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed ere Wen travelling the south coast and as a experienced traveller this would have to be one of my top 3 worst hotels absolute disgrace! Wen you get to reception your greeted by a stroppy little cow with no respect and then shown to your room wot a joke absolutely diabolical, carpets filthy the beds are rock hard and big holes in the windows travellers just be careful this place could ruin your holiday big time!!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank jrich104
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Me and my boyfriend(young couple) are easy people and don't need much extra comfort. We paid 50£ for1 night and I've never wasted my money more than for this room. Broken windows(glass is broken),very dirty beds(blood stains and who knows what else), what we've ordered as1 double bed were just2single beds together,air matress quality. VERY unfriendly staff(me,girl,had to carry suitcases to the top because there was no one at the reception). The front door of the hotel stays open all night. If you want a cheap stay you'd rather go to a hostel. This was just ridiculous.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Oiely
Reviewed September 9, 2012

So first the positives:
The location - right near the beach, 5 minutes walk to the pier. And thats about it.
The negatives - there are plenty!
Dirty awful rooms. I dont think the carpet had been vacummed in weeks, there was dirt, dust, old tissue, cotton wool etc all over the floor, and its best not to check the pillows/bedding for stains, you are probably best off not knowing!
The rooms themselves are tiny, cramped, and dreary. The blinds on the windows in our room were broken, letting light in early morning. The bathroom was mouldy, and the toilet seat was cracked. The beds were very small and narrow too.
To make it worse, the heating was on in our room, despite the 27 degree heat and clear blue skies outside, although they did turn this off eventually when we requested.

There were 15 of us staying here taking over 6 rooms - all the room were about the same, i cant say any were much better than the rest. In one of the other triples our friend opened the kettle to fill with water to make some tea, only to find a cigarette butt and ash in it (although they did change this for them).

Advice - do not stay here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends