“Cheap & Cheerfull”
Review of The Willows

The Willows
Ranked #83 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We checked in on the 25th of May 2012 and stayed for one night.
We’d read quite a few horrible reviews about the hotel. However, it wasn't really that bad at all… The only problem we had was the shower was too slow and took time to warm up but all in all a good stay!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

ok, there are a few broken windows,and blinds that have seen better days ,but room and shower were clean,flatscreen tv,and for very little money, what do people exspect in brighton for £35,had no problems with noise ect

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I booked a room in the Sandalwood Hotel in Brighton, expecting a clean and tidy, decent room in a clean hotel, for which I paid £50 + 2.5% for using a Debit card, which was not stated on the details.
How wrong was I. For a start the stair rail is only there for show, as it wobbled badly when touched. The stairs listed to one side, giving the feeling of being drunk, and the carpet was dirty. Now for the room. To start with it didn't have a wardrobe, only a shabby set of drawers,some of which didn't have handles, and they were all dirty inside. My feet stuck to the carpet, there was blood on the duvet, the one that I slept under, and another dirty grey duvet underneath the sheet I slept on to lessen the impact of the springs in the mattress. The window was really grimy, you could see it hadn't been cleaned since I don't know when. There wasn't a plug in the bathroom (sorry cubbyhole) sink and the drain cover in the shower was broken. There wasn't any hot water either. To call this an hotel is misrepresentation, it is a very seedy run down hostel I wouldn't even use for DSS clients. Best go to the Cosmopolitan round the corner in New Steines Road, for £5 more you get none of the above and a really great breakfast too.

Room Tip: don't go there
Reviewed May 10, 2012

You cannot fault this hotel for value for money. My triple room was clean with free wifi, flat screen tv and plenty of tea and coffee avaliable. The location is excellent and the girl on the desk was helpful. Would not hesitate to come again

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank DrEveA
Reviewed May 8, 2012

There were no towels in our room on arrival and when I pointed this out to the staff (who I had to walk to find as there was no one on reception and no bell to ring) they said they would sort it and no towels ever materialised so we were unable to shower in the morning!!!

None of our TVs worked (we all stayed over 4 rooms) and once again I pointed this out to the staff and he did come up to try and fix the problem but nothing was resolved and no apology was made.

We were not told how to get into the hotel once the door was closed so when we tried to come in at 1am it was most difficult as no one had the experience to assume we would use our room key for the front door, this wasn't explained to us on arrival.

Lastly, the wifi didn't even work, which it detailed on the site it would be.

If you want somewhere to lay your head with a brilliant location in Brighton and you're not fussy then go ahead, but if you wish to shower and not get ripped off price wise (the hotel was cheap but the rooms were still overcharged!!!) I would recommend to stay somewhere else; the customer service was the most appalling thing.

Room Tip: Don't go for a triple, it's the same size room as a double but with 3 beds slung in!
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Just got back from my stay at the Sandalwood SHACK!
Now this is my first ever review as I usually don't bother with this kind of thing, and I can assure u I'm not the fussy type, but this hotel was particularly bad that I felt the need to warn you all!

Cons:
- expect to have ants in ur bed
- lights didn't work so had to sit in darkness
- no radiator or any form of heat
- smashed in window that let freezing breeze in
- stained bedding
- lumpy hard mattress (also stained)
- 1 towel between 3 of us!! With holes in it

Pros:
- moderately good location but still a good walk to the centre

When complaining about this the receptionist simply said 'oh we get lots of complaints but the owner doesnt care hes only 24'

Seriously DON'T do it! U couldn't pay me to stay here again. Rip off dive!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 10, 2012

If you just want somewhere to rest your head for the night its not too bad. However the floors arent level and neither are the stairs. The ensuites are tiny and most people wouldnt be able to fit into the 'shower'. The rooms are small and they have tried to stick too many beds in most of the rooms and the beds seems smaller than a normal single. That said the place was clean so it wasnt all bad.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends