“Great food and service”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great food and service”
Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

The dosa's (South Indian pancakes made from rice and lentil batter) are a speciality of this restaurant. The king prawn dosa I had was super tasty with lots of big juicy prawns and fresh flavours. My partner had the lamb chilli garlic and the meat was very tender and succulent. I had read previous reviews about the service not being great but fortunately this was not our experience. The waiters were attentive, helpful and friendly. We will definitely be returning.

1 Thank Themightychicken

Hove, United Kingdom
“Authentic, flavoursome food... but women, take note...”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Situated on London Road, Eastern Eye is a real diamond in the rough. The food is made from authentic, natural ingredients and comes in rather generous portions. There really is something for everyone on the menu and they often have very generous offers on to entice newcomers.

One thing, though, that really lets the restaurant down is their attitude towards women. When I visited with a group of my friends (men and women), I was quite shocked at the archaic attitude that the waiters had towards the female members of the group. When asking if we were ready to order, the waiter went around the group, asking all of the men first what they would like... and therefore skipped over the women and waited until the men were finished to speak to them. Throughout the meal, when asking us how our food was, they would only speak to the men. When taking payment for the food, they would only make eye contact with the men and automatically assumed that the men would be paying, despite the fact that females were paying, too! This sexist attitude is not appropriate and actually rather off-putting. It's a real shame, because other than that, the place is great.

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank Rachael B
chef_Murali, Manager at The Eastern Eye Restaurant, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
i beg your pardon madam, we give equal attention to all customers. apologies if we did didn't enough attention to your group but whenever we direct a customer to a table we always hold the chair for female customers first, give them menu first,take their order first even serve them first say if in a group of 2-6.
i'll bring this to the attention of my service staff and make sure this doesnt happen. but i would also like to point out in a group more than 6 or 8 we take order by seating arrangement to make sure our waiters serve the dishes of the guest without having to call them out loud and when we ask for food usually in a busy time we obviously dont go each and every customers rather stand at the head or middle of the table politely enquire if everything is fine.

on our busy weekends when we get large bookings along with walk in tables we have to make sure all the customers are being looked after and not special treatment for certain tables. please maybe due to rush of the restaurant my waiters may have slightly neglected this priority or you may have misunderstood their body language but i've trained all my staff accordingly to make very customer comfortable in our restaurant. this is the first time im hearing this kind of complaint in 6 years of serving all customers in this restaurant.
Hove, United Kingdom
“Fish Madras? Oh yes.”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Dined for the second time last night. This place is terrific.

The King Fish Madras. I think it's safe to say that the waiter who served us rates it very highly as well as he seemed really happy when I ordered it and exuded charming enthusiasm when it was served. Damn right. It was excellent, lovely layers of complex flavour, a truly memorable dish.

The only negatives I can think of are:

1) In future I'd like to try other dishes on the menu but fear that I will just have the fish madras everytime I go in there.

2) I love cooking different styles but don't think I'll bother making a curry again whilst the fish madras at Eastern Eye is of this quality and I can get there for my curry hit.

..................did I mention that the Fish Madras is rather good?

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank kingofhove
“Best dosas in Brighton!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Doesn't look like much from the outside and isn't in the nicest area - but give it a go! The food is always really tasty, lots of vegetarian choices, and great value. I generally go here with a big group and the staff are always accomodating and friendly.

• Visited July 2014
“A total gem”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely brilliant food, delightful service and extremely well priced. Would highly recommend Eastern Eye! I can promise that you will not be dissatisfied. The best Indian that I've ever had.

• Visited July 2014