“Disappointing experience.”
Review of Warung Tujuh - CLOSED

Warung Tujuh
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Business meetings
Description: An authentic Indonesian ding experience Indonesian food is at it's best when it is eaten at a Warung, a road side food stall which is frequented by locals and tourists alike. At a Warung you are guaranteed a wonderful gastronomic experience at a very reasonable price. At Warung Tujuh it is our aim to recreate this dining delight for you here in Brighton. With our Indonesian Chef's and owner we hope to bring selection of the dishes that make up our diverse regional cuisine to your table and we hope you enjoy eating them as much as we have enjoyed creating them for you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Disappointing experience.”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Having read all the raving reviews, my family and I were rather disappointed by this seemingly cute little Indonesian restaurant. The portions were on the small side and, what is more important, not so tasty. Kind of flat, actually. The service was a bit pushy and somewhat inexperienced. We had hoped for more, which one can easily find in many SE Asian restaurants in Brighton.

5 Thank Smokedeel

“Fantastic food with great service”
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I went to this restaurant early one Thursday evening so it was very quiet. The food was amazing, I would recommend the swordfish sate, absolutely beautiful and served on a stick of lemongrass instead of a skewer. I would also recommend the squid stuffed with prawns. Everything we had was lovely, fresh and well cooked.

The service was also good, when we ordered the waitress explained our dishes had similar sauces and wanted to check this would be ok. She recommended other things that would complement what we were eating and when we said we lined our food spicy had it cooked to our liking.

I will definitely return, so much looks good on the menu and we were made really welcome, well worth a visit

Southampton
“Brilliant”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went to this place on Saturday night - after initially cancelling the booking, i had an email back saying thanks, but please come and see us again - I like that, so I did indeed make the effort to go along. From the outside, it looks quite small, but that adds to the ambiance somewhat once you are inside. I had not had Indonesian food before - let me say something - I have been around the world, but the food I ate here on Saturday night had to be tasted to be believed - it was stunning, fantastic, wonderful all rolled into one - it was my birthday, and I cannot remember a meal I have enjoyed more. From the starters, that I wont embarrass myself by trying to pronounce ( spring rolls ) to the main course, where I had swordfish, and my wife, had a beef dish, along with noodles and a local dish of some sort, it was the tastiest food I can recall ever eating. We live two hours from Brighton, and will be returning in the New Year - definitely a visit to this restaurant is a must - cannot praise it more - 10 out of 10.

Beautiful Wiltshire
“£15 for what??”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I booked this restaurant when taking my Outlaws to visit my children who are at Uni in Brighton. We hadn't been before and there were good reviews on Tripadvisor so it seemed an obvious choice.
The downstairs eating area - requested by us via Toptable due to the Outlaws being a little older - is very 'snug'. Some previous reviewers have called this 'cosy' but it felt as little claustrophobic as the evening wore on and the room got warmer and warmer....
The menu did seem to have something for everyone and we had a few starters to begin. I had the chicken sate ( a favourite of mine) and my son chose the sate platter. Now I know starters are meant to be small and to tempt the palate but this was ridiculous. I had 3 of the tiniest skewers of sate ever seen. Threading those tiny pieces of chicken onto the skewers must have been an extremely skilled job and at the price of £5.75 I would have expected more than that. My sons' sate platter which is described as a 'platter of mixed skewers' was a whopping £11.50 and I would have described it as a 'saucer of tiny mixed skewers' not a platter. So far although the taste had been very nice, I did feel a little cheated out of my hard earned cash.
For my main course I ordered the Ayam Goreng Lengkuas - which was described as chicken slow cooked in fresh spices. Now I have to say that when this arrived I was disappointed in that it was only 2 pieces of average sized chicken but it was really tasty, fresh and I would happily eat this dish again. We also ordered Nasi Goreng, Coconut rice, plain boiled rice and salad to share on the table. I love Nasi Goreng and have eaten it many times - I was expecting something really special here but what I received was bland in the extreme. The menu describes it as a 'simple but delicious dish' well, I agree with the simple but I'm unsure where the delicious bit comes in. The coconut rice didn't seem to have actually met any coconut at any point on it's journey to the table and was once again a very small portion for it's £2.50 charge. Rice is not exactly the most expensive ingredient so maybe the bowl size could be increased without damaging profits too much?
Other family members enjoyed their meals though and I did not hear any other complaints from anyone so maybe my expectations were just too high or maybe I'm just awkward or picky.
Lastly, several members of the party decided to opt for dessert and this course seemed to impress everyone. Mango sorbets and Cinnamon ice-cream were enjoyed by all and this time portion size wasn't an issue although Mother Outlaws pancakes (which were the brightest green ever and looked as though they had been made from play doh) raised a few comments. She said they were 'very tasty' though so they did get eaten.
BUT the killer blow of the evening was yet to come. My bill - which was £150 also had a 10% service charge added!!! For what exactly? I thought bringing me my food after taking my order was part of the usual role of a waitress in a restaurant. If I wish to leave a tip for exceptional service I will do. Our waitresses were very pleasant but I dont think they warranted me paying an extra 10% of the bill. One didn't smile all evening and one smiled constantly. They offered nothing that wasn't clearly on the menu and we had no unexpected requests for them to attempt to meet or resolve. The smiley witress did tell us the Cinnamon ice cream came from a shop down the road but I don't think this piece of information was worth £15. Had she divulged next weeks winning lottery numbers to me I would happily have handed over £15 but this wasn't on offer! I didnt see any note about a service charge on the menu and I have checked the online PDF version as I didnt recall the exact print on the menu in the restaurant and I cannot find anything about a compulsory service charge there either. I actually paid up before leaving the restaurant as we were having a family evening out and my Outlaws would have died of shame if I had kicked up a fuss about this so in order not to spoil their evening I just paid and fumed quietly. We will not be returning. I had an average meal in an average restaurant and I paid a service charge which was not stated clearly on the menu.
I shall take my custom elsewhere next time.

3 Thank Driftwood63xx
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place to eat”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went here with family party of six. One member was gluten free and it was brilliant to see that they had gluten free menus printed up.We all had starters,main and dessert. The food was first class, and really well presented. Staff were attentive and very friendly and helpful. Will absolutely return.

Visited November 2012