“Perfect anniversary meal”

Ranked #22 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mediterraneo Deli is a slice of Sicily specialising in regional Sicilian food. Restaurant by night, they also enjoy catering for all events, from lunch meetings to dinner parties and weddings. Friday & Saturday evenings, by reservation only. Mon to Thu Lunch/Dinner, by private hire only.
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Our first visit and Giorgio immediately made us feel welcome. A small and very intimate restaurant with a lovely atmosphere. The food was excellent and each course was described in detail by Giorgio prior to ordering. It made for a special celebratory evening with my son and his wife.

5  Thank blueron

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stumbled across this restaurant unexpectedly whilst in Brighton recently and were seduced by its intimate, bohemian charm and authentic-sounding menu to give it a try. With two courses at £23 our expectations of the food were further raised by the owner's speil on the bespoke nature of their offering, the month-long waiting list and the detailed introduction of the dishes we ordered. We thought we'd happened across something special.

Sadly, the reality of the food was well below our anticipation. With one or two exceptions – the salmon rice ball and escalopes of veal – the dishes lacked punch or clear flavour. The impressive nouvelle cuisine presentation just wasn't echoed in dishes substance that were ultimately rather bland. With starters seem to have been on the menu for months or perhaps years, I would expect them to taste a bit special at these prices – it just wasn't the case at all. The lemon pasta was chewy and undistinguished, and whilst you don't expect a glass of the house white to necessarily impress – at nearly £5 this tasted below well below par.

In my disappointment, I resolved to write a review of the restaurant on TripAdvisor; something I've never been moved to do before. I was truly shocked to find Mediterraneo rated as #1 in Brighton: I'm note quite sure what this says about who.

Perhaps it depends what you want from a meal out. If you want an intimate romantic venue with good service and a sense of occasion, I'm sure this fits the bill well. But if you're focussed on actually experiencing some great cooking then I'd strongly recommend looking elsewhere. As some other reviews have suggested this food might work adequately in a cheaper delicatessen / lunch setting; but it currently really doesn't live up to its restaurant price tag.

7  Thank Manx14
mediterraneodeli, Owner at Mediterraneo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Manx14,
I'm sorry we did not live up to your expectations.
Just a couple of things. You're calling "chewy" what in Italy we call "al dente" ("to the bite" or "chewy texture"), and that's exactly what I said our pasta would be served like when I launched into what you kindly called "the detailed introduction of the dishes we ordered". I always make a point of clarifying this as there is a difference between eating pasta "the Italian way" and being served pasta dishes in Italian restaurant chains for the tourist trade. Sicilians only ever use "semolina", and pasta is cooked and must be served "al dente". Anything other than that would be sent back. I'm fairly certain I mentioned our pasta cooking times upon taking your order, but I take full responsibility if I have neglected to do so, although I am quite puzzled as to why it is that this is only coming out now, as I know that I came to check at your table and you said that everything was fine (I distinctly remember your big smile when you said that capers work well with veal!) It wouldn't have been a problem to substitute the dish with another main, had you expressed your concerns then and there.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "With starters seem to have been on the menu for months or perhaps years". We have only started trading as a restaurant a year ago. And, at any rate, if we are lucky enough to still be in business a few years from now, I'll see that at least one of these starters be always on the menu, as these are our signature dishes. Asking a Sicilian not to make Arancini would be, I guess, like asking someone from Naples to trade their pizza for Fish&Chips!
In addition, if I may, I think that saying "I'm not quite sure what this says about who" is a trifle presumptuous, if not slightly bordering on disrespectful towards your fellow writers, as you are referring to travellers who have posted hundreds of reviews, each time, remarkably, summoning up memories of their visits as best they can.
Thanks,
Giorgio and Sonia

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Having read all of the fantastic reviews on trip advisor I was keen to secure a table at this restaurant. After making a booking it was great to receive an email shortly before our visit with details of the dishes that were going to be on the menu on the night of our visit. On the night of our booking we were running slightly late and received a call from Giorgio just it check we were ok - nice touch! The food we were served was extremely good and the wine complemented it perfectly. We were made to feel very welcome and definitely want to return very soon with some Italian friends as we know they will appreciate the experience as much as we did!

7  Thank Rachelhazell
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

My fourth visit to this delightful little restaurant and once again it was excellent. The food is always beautifully cooked - I had the steamed cod which was sublime - and presented. The puddings are wonderful cakes or a "to die for tiramisu" I always have the latter as it's so good but in the interests of research! I felt I should try the cakes and I'm glad I did - on the evening of our visit the choices were a limoncello cake, chocolate and nut and banana and rum. I had the latter and it was very very good.
As I've said in previous reviews the food is excellent but what makes this place stand out is the owner Giorgio and his wife Sonia who greet you by name and are friendly, personable and attentive. What a triumph for this lovely place over all those bland generic chains.

5  Thank ellie0253
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had a good dinner at Mediterraneo : the place is quite small and we felt lucky to have a table. Dinner was good but a bit greasy. The host was really friendly and very Italian. However, from the reviews, I was expecting better. Menu was pricey for what it was.

3  Thank Miss4455