“Giorgio & Sonya”

Ranked #13 of 1,141 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mediterraneo Deli is a slice of Sicily specialising in regional Sicilian food. Restaurant by night, they also enjoy catering for all events, from lunch meetings to dinner parties and weddings. Friday & Saturday evenings, by reservation only. Mon to Thu Lunch/Dinner, by private hire only.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Giorgio & Sonya”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Beautiful food, FANTASTIC wine! Wonderful hosts. An unforgettable night of laughter with company and the hosts. Tirimasu and chocolate grappa, you wouldn't find that anywhere else.

2 Thank AimeeMaguire

Dublin, Ireland
“Wondering if it lives up to expectations? (It does!)”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I'm always a little skeptical of customer restaurant reviews - it's not about the shilling or the badly disguised and disgruntled competition, but more about how subjective food is. Case in point - I used to work with a woman who thought that Eddie Rockets (a sub-par copy of a sub-par fast food American diner thankfully contained mostly to Ireland) was the best restaurant in Dublin. There's over 20-odd of them.

So anyways it was with a little trepidation that I made my booking at Mediterraneo. And, in short - I really shouldn't have worried at all - it was one of the best meals of my life.

The whole experience begins when you make a booking - you get a prompt response, followed by a menu 'drafted for you' closer to your dining date.

On the day we dined it was raining Forrest Gump style - sideways, upwards, downwards! This combined with our not-so-smart decision to walk, plus a detour due to not knowing the area meant that we were late and soaked through when we stepped through the door. A warm double-cheek kiss greeting followed by an assurance from Giorgio to "Take things easy, we don't do sittings here, you can stay for the whole night" was the perfect antidote to our frazzled state.

I could write a lot more, but in short it was a perfect meal (well a meal followed by dessert followed by coffee and biscotti followed by special Italian liqueur which required biscotti-dipping!)

My one tip is to ask about everything - every dish, the wine, the biscotti sitting in a jar up on the shelf - they all have a story and Giorgio will regale it in the best way possible. The only danger is that you may be convinced you need to eat it ALL THE FOODS.

Go there. Now.

3 Thank coryannj
Farnham, United Kingdom
“A real fun evening in a restaurant that puts a smile on your face”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I booked following all the great reviews I read. When you approach Mediterraneo, its looks like nothing very much, quite shabby from the outside, in fact just the sort of place I would walk right past.
Giorgio meets you with a smile, and bags of enthusiasm, its clear right from the start this place was nothing like any restaurant I had ever eaten in, with its 4 little tables, tiny kitchen & bags of pasta on the shelves
The food, well I am no food citric never eaten in a Michelin star restaurant, but every mouthful was simply lovely. We had the Arancini Mignon, little stuffed rice balls in breadcrumbs, followed by Braciole alla Siclliana and Peperoni Ripieni. We were too full for desert, but as all the lovely cakes were sitting on the table next to my wife so she could not resist, me I’m made of more sterling stuff…..until Giorgio mention the Tiramisu, would have been rude to turn it down.
To conclude it’s a funny little place, and Giorgio is a real character, but don’t be fooled this man takes his food and service very seriously indeed, the result for us was the best meal I think we have ever had, a real fun evening in a restaurant that puts a smile on your face

4 Thank Schulpy
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A great place.”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Having been going to Mediterraneo since it opened I was more than pleased when Georgio told me that they had opened in the evenings for bookings. As a regular daytime customer I was impressed with the change from day to night. Great food and wine, great helpful service and great ambiance.
Definitely recommend this place whether visiting the deli in the day or booking an intimate meal in the evening.
Ian.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank Ianmarz
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Intimate and different and top quality food”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This will probably repeat what others have said so will be brief. Have reread and realized I failed as had too much good stuff to say.

Amazing home cooked Italian with strong Sicilian influence. Arancini and aubergine involtini starters were great. The home cooked lasagna was the best either of us have had (sorry Mum). Veal involtini stuffed with ham, leeks, tomato and caperberries was incredible. I had a lovely cake for dessert but suffered from food envy as the Tiramisu was out of this world. It's a favourite of my fellow diner. She has had it cooked for her by Aldo Zilli at a private event (apologies for the name drop) and this topped it.

Wine was lovely, we had a bottle of Pinot Grigio. I'm not normally a white wine fan, especially grigio, but this had real depth and flavour and wasn't overpowered by the strong flavours of the food.

The setting is unique (to me at least). It's a small deli during the day with room for four tables on Friday and Saturday evenings. They only do one sitting so getting a table may take a while but is worth it. Lovely intimate ambience helped by the wonderful Giorgio. He will great you at the door like a friend and talk you through everything they have in detail, his passion is clear to see and very infectious. We were there for over 2 hours and it flew by.

3 courses at £22 or maybe £23, I forget, is great value for most places, let alone somewhere like this. Somewhere different to go for a special evening for sure or just to indulge in great food :-)

6 Thank Gwyn J