“Disappointing lunch.”

Mediterraneo Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 1,113 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Mediterraneo Deli is a slice of Sicily specialising in regional Sicilian food. Restaurant by night, they also enjoy catering for all events, from lunch meetings to dinner parties and weddings. Friday & Saturday evenings, by reservation only. Mon to Thu Lunch/Dinner, by private hire only.
“Disappointing lunch.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I had lasagne, the first bite was not too bad, but it left a funny aftertaste, as if it had been sitting there for a few days. Also presentation of the dish was very poor. It was served without a salad, just a poor garnish of one piece of iceberg lettuce. My girlfriend had potato and aubergine dish. She thought it was very average and had an upset stomach in the afternoon. I felt it was cramped inside and not cosy as some say below. I don't believe some of the reviews below are real.

14 Thank greg a
mediterraneodeli, Owner at Mediterraneo Restaurant, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Greg, I will keep this simple.
I think you're either just the competition, or you were sent by it.
First of all, all or our reviews are genuine and TripAdvisor offers an option called “Ask [user name] about Mediterraneo Delicatessen”, so please feel free to contact our reviewers to discuss any aspect of their visit.
Second, I came to your table while you were halfway through your meal – as I do with all my customers – to ask how you were doing, and both you and the lady who was with you said “it's great”. Testimony of your statement was the fact that when I retrieved your plates they were both clean. Also, when you came to pay I asked you whether everything was all right – again, as I do with all my customers – and you both said yes. So, I'm afraid you guys seem to be a little at war with your verbal and written statements.
With regards to your 'it was served without salad', you're basically telling me that you either don't understand anything about Italian food, or that you've clearly never been to Italy, or, quite possibly, both. In Italian cuisine, pasta dishes are never served with salad. If you want one, you should order one. As for your Parmigiana di Melanzane, it was served on two slices of home baked sourdough bread. When you eat Parmigiana, you don't need anything else. Any Italian will tell you that. However, if you had preferred a salad instead of bread, you could have asked for it when I came round to check that everything was fine. I would have happily obliged.
With reference to presentation, you're forgetting that you came at lunch, when we work as a Deli. We don't charge for service and both your dishes were at a price of what the majority of businesses in Brighton charge for 1. We eat out at least once a week and we're charged on average £10 per dish (pubs, bars, delicatessen, restaurants). Having said that, I don't believe there was nothing wrong with the way your meal was presented.
'Cramped and not cosy'. I've been trading for three years, and every single customer has always complimented us with how we've managed to decorate and organise the available space. We've never claimed to be a big deli, restaurant, or anything that we're not.
Anyway, Greg, no hard feelings. This was bound to happen. My wife and I are very relaxed as we had been expecting this for quite a while. It will take a lot more than this to discourage us from keep doing what makes us happy. If we have to go down, it will be for something that we actually do, and not because of some speculations fuelled by these unsubstantiated allegations.
We believe that most people are essentially good. We know that we are.

Thanks,
Giorgio and Sonia

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Delicious home cooked Sicilian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We had a delicious meal at Meiterraneo Deli. The owner opens up in the evenings by appointment. It's fabulous food, full of flavour. The starters were the best part of the meal - arancini risotto balls and stuffed aubergines. The only thing is - I would love to see some meat/fish main courses. The pastas are wonderful and the lasagna is great home made fare, but usually what I would consider a lunchtime dish (or anti-pasti in Italy?) - not what I would choose as a main while out for dinner in the evening. The owners are such good cooks that I'm sure anything they produced would be delicious. The deserts were beautiful though. Service was fab and we were made very welcome. Excellent value.

3 Thank Kate H
Sussex
“Very cute place, amazing food and excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

My boyfriend took me here for a birthday meal. We had never heard of it or seen it before but the reviews were great and it was 5 minutes from where we live.

We had a private dinner and it was fantastic. The food was incredible, the atmosphere was lovely and we felt like we were in Sicily. Giorgio couldn't have done more for us - we can't wait to go back!

3 Thank JemmaD19
Brighton
“Delicious private dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was searching for a new restaurant in Brighton to take my fiancee to. We're both born & bred in here and in our time have been to a good selection of restaurants in the city. As we were celebrating our 4th anniversary as a couple, we were after that something a little bit special. Following the previous very positive reviews on here I contacted the restaurant to make my reservation. We were treated to a private dining experience with a small, but delicious menu and the clean plates after each course were a testament to the quality of food we enjoyed. Giorgio is the most friendly restauranter I have ever met.

5 Thank Super_Seagull_69
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, excellent service, warm welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Desperately needed to find cannoli for a special birthday treat. Giorgio could not have been more helpful. The pastries were fabulous, and beautifully presented. I also bought some takeaway snacks, which the family loved. I'll be back, with a friend for lunch next time.

3 Thank Fritillary49