“Deliciousitessen”

Ranked #20 of 1,154 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mediterraneo Deli is a slice of Sicily specialising in regional Sicilian food. Restaurant by night, they also enjoy catering for all events, from lunch meetings to dinner parties and weddings. Friday & Saturday evenings, by reservation only. Mon to Thu Lunch/Dinner, by private hire only.
“Deliciousitessen”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Discovered this place whilst living in the London Road area as a student, and despite moving further away have been travelling back on a regular basis since. Fantastic home-made food, reasonably priced and excellent, friendly customer service. Would recommend to anyone.

5 Thank RP_15
mediterraneodeli, Owner at Mediterraneo Restaurant, responded to this review, September 28, 2012

I hope this email finds you well.
Please allow me to apologise for taking ages to get back to you and thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Better late than never, that's what they say, but it wasn't until last week that our little one started school and so driving us to the brink of insanity until 11:30 each night is no longer an option. Anyhow, with a tinsy winsy little more time on our hands we've now managed to create a TripAdviser account and can finally 'manage our reviews'.
Let us tell you how good it feels to still be able to rattle around in the kitchen since we gingerly took our first pan out of the drawer. And if, after three years, we can still drizzle our good old extra virgin olive oil here and there - by the way, no matter how hard I try, my wife's food always looks, smells, and tastes better than any of my recipes - it's because you thought there might have been a tiny speck of light somewhere.
It's still a little tough out there, we're still in deep recession, and maybe it's a bit too early to struck up for surface, and although our smiles might sometimes falter, we can promise you that we will always, as sure as night follows morning, give it our best shot.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Love, obsession, perfection - all for a worthy cause.....”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

There's nothing more enjoyable (in my opinion) than visiting an establishment run by people who have turned their passion for (and skill with) making food into their livelihood - and who clearly love what they do.

You'd be forgiven for walking past this cafe/delicatessen - it's an unassuming exterior, tucked down a little side street - but the effort involved in seeking it out is more than rewarded by the experience of eating here. Three tables outside on the pavement (which catches the sun most of the day) and a few small tables inside.

It's simple Sicilian food done to perfection - amazing coffee with a freshly-baked (on the premises) focaccia containing ham and artichokes - it was heaven on a plate. The stuff (my) dreams are made of.

Apologies if I seem to be slightly giddy about a simple sandwich - but seriously, it was more than something to write home about. Not sure how my husband will feel about me falling in love with a yeast-based product today.....I may have to break it to him gently....and take him along on the weekend to understand the hopelessness of it all.

I highly recommend.

5 Thank SimBuc

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great Flavors and Value”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We're very lucky to have this gem right next door to our work place. A welcoming family-run place with Sicilian specialities like Arancini and Canoli it also serves good baguettes and pasta dishes. A truly hidden treasure in Brighton!

4 Thank Dukeofyorks

“Sicilian Stunner!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

It's intimate: ie small but the food is simply some of the best I've tasted in Brighton. The Mediterranneo is run by the most welcoming and charming married couple who like the food are authentic Sicilian. Both food and hosts never fail to delight. And if you think it can't get any better it's across the road from The Duke of York cinema. Enjoy!

5 Thank Modaytofridaynav

“Great Combination”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

It's small space-wise but that just makes it more personal & special. Our host (& his wife) offer some of the yummiest variety of fresh bonafide Italian food in Brighton. He's a gourmet cook, a workaholic, perfectionist, caring host who covers all the little extras that make your experience memorable. And take some home for later too!

4 Thank Lee P