“My local”

Ranked #409 of 1,216 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Locals and foodies mix in this delightfully bright and cheerful family-friendly food pub – a hidden gem, which has remained busy and buzzy since it opened six years ago. Something of a local institution, this fabulous pub serves good honest food, prepared with skill and passion. Beautifully prepared roast meals are served on Sundays from 12 to 6pm. With superb Sussex reared meats, a vegetarian and fish option as well as small portions for children, it’s hard to find a reason not to visit.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've been to the PPT a few times since I lived in the street. My first impression was that it was slightly pretentious.

It's a lovely building, bright and fresh interior with a real bright and airy feel about it. But on a few occasions I have found the staff giving me the once over like I didn't belong there.

This hasn't prevented me going there on "special occasions" but as a just popping in place, it is off my list.

I don't want to be judged by the staff. I just want to enjoy my visit.

1  Thank Stevie M
Helen C, Owner at Preston Park Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Hello and thank you for your review. I'm really pleased that you like the pub and have enjoyed some special meals with us. It is our aim to be welcoming to each and every person who walks through the door and I would certainly not want anybody to feel that they were being judged. We do have many customers who call in for a quick drink, bowl of soup or cup of coffee and I would like to think that they all felt as welcome as those coming in for a celebratory meal. I do hope you will consider popping in one day to see how you get on but in the meantime, thank you for your review. Kind regards, Helen

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We visited the restaurant today for lunch and we arrived early. Upon arriving we were greeted by a very rude lady. She seated us and when I asked about a highchair she talked over me. I then wanted to ask her something else and again she talked over me and didn't let me finish what I was going to ask
We then had to wait a long time to be served and a further 40 minutes to get our food.
To be honest, we have visitied many times before and have never had such bad service.
If it wasn't for the fact the food was good and we were hungry, we would have left!
Please sort out your staff and give better service your customers deserve!

1  Thank Jozka1

Thank you for submitting a review on Trip Adviser. I am really sorry to hear that you felt a member of our team was rude and I would like to re-assure you that we will look into this matter immediately. We take all customer feedback very seriously and I am truly sorry that you have cause to complain. Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Kind regards.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have just returned from what would normallybe a reasonable meet up in a local eaterie. All went swimmingly until we decided to live dangerously and order a desert. I think the waiter was genuinely embarrassed and tried to forewarn us that the rhubarb option was not a crumble but a pathetic scattering of oats with tinned rhubarb whilst a lump of ice cream in a glass and half a luke warm coffee was an Italian themed dessert. I promise no irony was intended when we fought over who didn't want the loyalty card.

If ever there was a need for a decent restaurant/ pub in Fiveways tonight proved the point.

Helen C, Owner at Preston Park Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Thank you for visiting the Preston Park Tavern and for taking the time to submit a review. I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your desserts and would like to address the issues that you have raised. Our affogato's are traditional Italian style, where a single scoop of ice cream is served in a glass with a single shot of espresso in a jug. The hot coffee is poured over the ice cream at the table, by the customer. An espresso is a really small shot of coffee and I'm afraid that is why it would have left a lot of space in the jug. If the coffee was not hot, I'm terribly sorry, it should have been. The rhubarb dessert was described by the waiter because he was keen that our diners understood that the oat crumble was a sprinkle on the plate rather than a more substantial traditional crumble. I'm really sorry you didn't think much of the rhubarb which was fresh rather than tinned and had been poached in a ginger liquor here in our kitchen before being pureed and served with a set custard. Overall, I am truly sorry that you were so disappointed with your visit based on these two desserts. If you had mentioned this on the evening, we could have offered you an alternative pudding which would perhaps have been more to your liking. Thank you for your review, kind regards. The Preston Park Tavern

Reviewed February 8, 2013

It is hard not to love Preston Park Tavern.

It is tucked away in a quiet residential location of suburbia and it enjoys a more intimate feel than the city restaurants.

A late booking request was no trouble and we were allocated a good corner table.

Appetiser selection was very decent, some useful local influences and seasonal interest ( Haggis ), other choices included mussels with pesto, pan fired chicken liver, cod bon bons and celeriac and apple soup.

This restaurant enjoys a solid reputation for steak, and we were not disappointed. Two Mayfield sirloin steaks, cooked exactly to medium as requested, sealed and juicy, finely textured, this was steak without fault, accompanied by fine hand cut chips, shallot tarragon and pepper butter, and a single Portobello mushroom. It rarely gets better than this.

A confession, we even found room for a slice of Orange, almond and semolina sponge, a dash of Cointreau cream on the side.

Value for money and one of the best evenings of the year.

1  Thank EatingPlenty
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A lovely local with quality fresh produce and easy week dining. Staff are funky charming.
Expediently and the continuity is there as we have dined there over the past 12 months hmmmm... probably 6 times a and haven't been let down.

It's been great to let locals know what's at their front door ( we don't love in Preston Park, but often visit friends there) ......................