“Disappointing”

Ole Ole Tapas Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #184 of 1,154 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ole Ole Tapas Bar & Restaurant is a lively spot complete with Flamenco dancers, live bands and delicious Spanish cuisine.Relish in the finest Sangria, tapas and true Spanish ambiance, featuring an authentic floor show of Flamenco music and dance. Travel to Spain with Ole Ole and join us for an "Evening in Andalusia". Ole Ole is all about honest food of the earth, natural and real.
Redondo Beach, California
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I went here for our anniversary on the recommendation of a couple of her friends. The anticipation only grew after we couldn't get reservations on a "date night" a few weeks prior, so we were really looking forward to some great Spanish tapas.

We started with a bottle of Tempernillo and really it set the tone for the evening - probably the lowest quality of wine that could possibly be served at the bottle price.

We ordered the Brie with Honey and a Cheese and Ricotta Croquette based on the servers recommendation (though we were already considering the Brie).

The Brie really could have been nice, but the cheese had a refrigerated taste to it (if you know what I mean). Meanwhile the Croquette was bland and very heavy/oily - in fact we DNF (did not finish).

For the main, we really wanted to try the Paella. Unfortunately, they have a rule of a minimum order of 2, and my wife is allergic to shellfish, and we could not split the order we were forced into both having a Chicken Paella. I didn't consider it a bad option at the time, though I would have preferred to have some seafood in there...however when we received the Paella, the rice was very bland (though cooked well) and was very buttery to compensate for any other flavor. Worst of all, the chicken bits that they used in the meal were probably bits that they couldn't serve as a main meal so they chucked it in, they were absolutely disgusting and my wife and I happily ate around the disgusting Chicken pieces eating only the "butter rice". I went to ask the waiter about some hot sauce for the rice, and although there were only about 4 other couples in the restaurant, I couldn't get his attention until it was too late.

Maybe it was due to the fact that a customer across the way was chewing into the waiter about her "potatoes being cold". It went something like this:

Customer: inaudible, grumble, complaint
Waiter: "see this is the way we prepare this in Spain"
Customer: "what cold, you serve your potatoes cold in Spain"

Ouch.

Although we were on our anniversary, we couldn't bare the thought of a dessert at the place, so we quickly got our check and left.

It is too bad, we really wanted to like this place, and maybe we caught them on an "off night" - but honestly when you spend the kind of money that we did, you expect every night to be an "on night". There are plenty of restaurants in Brighton, so we most likely won't be back, and unfortunately we won't recommend it to you, or our friends.

1 Thank Shane W

Stockbridge, United Kingdom
“A taste of Spain”
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We visited on a Wednesday night in October and although it was quiet it was still great. We had a selection of tapas and a bottle of wine, which were great. We shared a dessert and both had coffee con leche. The waiters couldn't do enough for us. We would definitely visit again

1 Thank GillyJ1970
“Authentic atmosphere and great fresh tasty food with friendly service”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Found this restaurant on Internet and in local brochere at Our hotel. We took a short walk through the lanes and found a taste of Spain. It was a Sunday night and there was only one other party in the place which is normally not a good sign but the welcome was good but we did smile as we were asked if we had reservation there was nice background flamenco music playing and the restaurant had some nice Spanish art work on the walls.
On reading the menu my friend was unsure but we are both tapas lovers and I pointed out some familiar dishes and some ones we had never tried which sounded tasty. So we decided to stay and how glad we were.
The food was excellent ! Especially liked the stuffed permentos,calamari, prawns and tortilla! We decided to have the Crema Catalana and it was the best Creme Brûlée I had eaten in a long time.
When we asked for the bill we were given a small glass of a sweet sherry type wine which I have forgotten the name of as a complimentary drink. This was just the right touch and finish to our meal and it was a pleasant surprise. Tasted good too!
When I am next in Brighton it will be visited again!
We were also told that they have flamenco dancers on certain nights of the week, which I do hope to catch on my next visit.
Thank you Ole Ole for a lovely meal.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Tapas with a real Spanish feel.”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Lovely Tapas off a small but strong tapas menu. Washed down with some tinto de verano which aded to an authentic feel. The Waiters were from Spain, very friendly and welcoming. On a Tuesday night in the middle of October there was a very steady set of customers. Glas we wne tand would recommend it highly.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Paul M
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ole Ole Tapas Bar & Restaurant”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Nice people, nice atmosphere, good food but a bit pricey - still a lot better than paying for a bad meal in a poor restaurant.

• Visited October 2012