“Relaxed, good food and good service”
Review of Jamie's Italian

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #191 of 1,168 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN BRIGHTON A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. The lovely Brighton restaurant is located on Black Lion Street, a stone's throw from the seafront, nestled within Brighton's famous Lanes. The rooftop terrace is a great spot to enjoy a drink and a bowl of our freshly made pasta or a burger after a trip to the beach, or relax in one of the cosy booths and watch the chefs at work in their beautiful open kitchen. There's something for everyone here, whatever the occasion - a quick bite with friends or a big family dinner - come in and soak up the atmosphere while you tuck into some delicious Italian food.
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We visited Jamie's Italian in Brighton on a sunny weekend evening when the place was very busy. We had to wait at the bar for 20-30 minutes for a free table, but enjoyed a lovely cocktail and some bar nibbles during the wait.

The food was good, and enjoyed by everyone. The service was really excellent. My wine was accidentally spilled by the waitress when she was clearing away the dinner plates. She was super efficient in cleaning it up, and in bringing me a replacement full glass.

Would definitely recommend.

There are newer reviews for Jamie's Italian

Reviewed July 28, 2014

To be fair, I may be being unfair, but when a world famous chef places their name upon a restaurant chain I expect the food to be a step above your typical eatery. Unfortunately, not so here.

I had a prawn-in-pastry starter which whilst pretty to look upon was not especially tasty (indeed, the prawns themselves seemed to have less flavour than most), and as a main course I went for one of the pizza's - which I found stingy on topping and dry as a bone. Jamie's "own brand" beer was disappointing with a somewhat bitter aftertaste.

Service was fine, nothing wrong with the staff at all but considering this is a little pricier than most Italians (around 10 to 15% more per dish) I cannot find myself recommending this restaurant over other Italian offerings in the area.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I decided to see what all the hype was about and went for an early dinner at Jamie's Italian. We were not disappointed! The atmosphere was buzzing but not overpowering and we were immediately very comfortable in the homely but modern atmosphere. The staff were all attentive and welcoming without being too 'in your face' or overbearing. Our waitress was able to provide advice on each of the dishes and was very knowledgeable as well as incredibly warm and friendly. We each had 3 courses and they were all equally superb. We can particularly recommend the crab and avocado bruschetta and the chocolate brownie - the best we have ever eaten (which is immensely complimentary from two ardent chocolate fanatics). The prices were reasonable - approximately £70 for 2 (for 3 courses, including 4 glasses of Prosecco) and constituted excellent value for money when considering the high quality fare on offer. We cannot recommend this restaurant enough and we are planning our next visit already!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Having enjoyed a lovely meal at Jamie's Italian in Bath a few years ago, I was more than happy when the Brighton restaurant was suggested for a get-together with friends last Friday evening.

Unfortunately, it was a disappointing experience, with undrinkable house wine, average service and prices that didn't reflect the quality of what was offered on the menu. I don’t consider £17.90 for 75 cl of house wine that has been decanted from a Tetrapak (and tastes like vinegar), paying an extra £3.00 to add a grilled chicken thigh to the Superfood Salad or £12.50 for Turkey Milanese that consisted of a thin slice of turkey with a thinner slice of ham on top & no evidence of any cheese at all, to be good value. Adding chips and veg or salad to your main course costs another £6.50-£7.00 and the presentation was uninspiring.

The desserts, however, were very good and my Amalfi Lemon Meringue Cheesecake was light and fluffy, with lovely tart blackcurrants to complement the sweetness, and my friends were equally as pleased with their choices.

Overall, I feel Jamie Oliver has allowed standards to fall in order to increase profits. Cheap ingredients, mediocre service and high prices mean I’m unlikely to return but, seeing how busy it was, he probably doesn't need me to.

1  Thank Sue R
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Slow kitchen, waitress tried her hardest, just didnt see enough of her. COLD soggy chips that felt like they had sat around for way too long. Nothing special at all. Shame.

2  Thank Sosij