“Good quality food at a high price.”
Review of Jamie's Italian

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #207 of 1,184 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN BRIGHTON A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. The lovely Brighton restaurant is located on Black Lion Street, a stone's throw from the seafront, nestled within Brighton's famous Lanes. The rooftop terrace is a great spot to enjoy a drink and a bowl of our freshly made pasta or a burger after a trip to the beach, or relax in one of the cosy booths and watch the chefs at work in their beautiful open kitchen. There's something for everyone here, whatever the occasion - a quick bite with friends or a big family dinner - come in and soak up the atmosphere while you tuck into some delicious Italian food.
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Went here for a birthday celebration. The staff were friendly and welcoming. Our courses were all served in good time and we did not feel rushed or as though we had been forgotten! The starters were very nice although they were unable to serve me my first choice of starters due to a lack in ingredients which was slightly disappointing. We were the from about 7.30 - 10.30 and the restaurant was very busy and a.though the atmosphere was nice it was very loud inside and that was slightly off putting. The mains were served beautifully and were very nice. With our meals we had a couple of cocktails which weren't as great as I had hoped for and were quite pricey. Dessert was also very nice and was displayed well. For 5 people the bill hit triple digits which was to be expected! To conclude, friendly staff, good quality food and a busy atmosphere.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Well what can I say about this restaurant?
The food was so bland I couldn't tell what I was eating. I ordered a chicken portion which turned up looking very much like a burger it was hammered so flat. My friend ordered a steak. There was no opportunity to say how she wanted it cooked, no steak knife. She had to saw through it (yes it was that tough) and was embarrassed when she had to keep taking bits of fat out of her mouth.
No courtesy check, a good job really as the waiter would never have got away. And the other courses weren't much better.
I have given this restaurant just one point which equals terrible on trip advisors scale, but to be honest it doesn't even rate that.
The service was dire, and we came away feeling we had been really given a cheap nasty meal.
Warning- keep away!!!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I'd booked a table and was disappointed that we had to wait 20 minutes for it to be ready. I wanted somewhere to eat that was really close to our hotel (The Thistle), so chose Jamie's even though I was pretty indifferent to the dining experience in the Canary Wharf restaurant.

Here, it was a different story - the food and service were both really good. I had the crab bruschetta, followed by lasagne, both were delicious. The whole meal was excellent value for money, and I would have given top rating if we hadn't been kept waiting for our table.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just come back from running the Brighton Marathon and thought we'd book a nice evening before the race at Jamie Oliver's, what a shambles. We booked the set menu and after arriving and being seated, we were handed a menu and were left for about 20 mins, while many staff just kept walking by and ignoring us, as there seemed to be a wedding party being catered for. In the end we had to get the attention of someone to order a drink and the food. Wished we never bothered, when the food arrived my partners food was cold and we had to send it back for another dish. When this arrived, this just tasted like chille flavoured water with the pasta. We again complained and the staff were very apologetic and then gave us the desert to try and impress us, this was ok, but the experience was ruined already, the service was so bad that they did not ask for any money for the meal and too right to. Jamie, I hope your reading this and get your act together, please visit your restaurants and get back to real customer service with good food, for me i'd never go back again.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I went with my boyfriend to this place when the £5 menu deal was on. We had to wait for around two hours for a table as they weren't taking reservations for that week. So we went off elsewhere for a couple of drinks and then came back and spent some time at the bar here. We bought a small glass of house red, a bottle of lager and a mushroom tapas-style starter (as we got peckish whilst waiting) and it came to £15. The wine and lager were okay but felt pricey (especially the lager) - the mushroom dish was really quite disappointing and flavourless, so it wasn't a great start to our evening!

The staff did their best to seat us as soon as possible and were very pleasant despite being rushed off their feet! The restaurant itself is bigger than you'd first expect and the atmosphere is nice. We then both had the rump steak and chips - it was nice and cooked how we requested (rare). The sauce on top of the steak was particularly nice and it worked out being very good value for £5. The portion was quite small and, had I paid the usual price of £16 for this, I would've been pretty disappointed.

I'm not really sure what the fuss about this place is to be honest. Having been disappointed by Jamie Oliver's restaurants before, I thought this might change my mind. Unfortunately, even though the £5 menu seemed like a good deal and the staff were friendly, it didn't.