“Nice food, shame about the place”
Review of Jamie's Italian

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #191 of 1,168 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN BRIGHTON A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. The lovely Brighton restaurant is located on Black Lion Street, a stone's throw from the seafront, nestled within Brighton's famous Lanes. The rooftop terrace is a great spot to enjoy a drink and a bowl of our freshly made pasta or a burger after a trip to the beach, or relax in one of the cosy booths and watch the chefs at work in their beautiful open kitchen. There's something for everyone here, whatever the occasion - a quick bite with friends or a big family dinner - come in and soak up the atmosphere while you tuck into some delicious Italian food.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Visited Jamie's Italian early on a Friday evening. Very busy, long wait if you do not book (we had). Shown to our upstairs table - lots of stairs for the staff to climb. First impressions: tables crammed in, decor garish and loud background music. We sat next to a table of four and you would not want an intimate meal here as it's impossible not to hear what is being said next door. That said, service is efficient, the food was good and the prices reasonable. Just be aware that it's more of a diner than a restaurant and you won't go far wrong.

There are newer reviews for Jamie's Italian

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The food at Jamie's Italian is, as expected, all of very good quality and very well prepared. What's slightly more disappointing is the limited menu. Pasta with meat dishes was limited to one or two, but then perhaps it's because the wife and I aren't fish eaters!?

We had starters (which were excellent!), mains, coffee and cocktails for £60 including tip so not cheap but by no means expensive.

Check out The Cricketer's pub a couple of doors up after for a couple of beers!

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Very good meals. Not too expensive. But must warn you that if you want a quiet romantic meal don't eat here. Between screaming kids and hen parties, it was a bit overwhelming. Waitress was wonderful. Served us quickly and efficiently until we were given dessert menu and we didn't see her again for thirty minutes. So skipped dessert and coffee which was a shame. I would eat there again but definitely at a quieter time. ..... if there is one

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have been to JO's Italian before but not in Brighton. I was taking my son as a pre-show supper treat. We spent a fair bit £70 for 2 courses for the two of us but we had lots of cocktails which bumped the price up. The 'Jamie's Mojito (not sure if that's the right spelling) was exceptional with lots of crushed ice, fresh mint and lime...mmm lovely! Wroth every penny.
When we arrived we were told that a few of the fish dishes were unavailable..don't mind that...at least fish wasn't be hauled out of the freezer is how I see it and there was still a lot of choice. The waitress was very friendly and the first thing she did was put a big carafe of tap water on the table, a gesture which I really like. I had the fish plank and to be honest, that was just about enough for a whole meal for me had we not been in greedy mode. It was delicious, hot, plenty of fish/squid and the best olive's - I'm very fussy about olives and these were lush. Lots of 'picky bits' if you can call the huge piece of smoked mackerel pate bruscetta a 'bit'. My son had an equally yummy meat plate. He followed with a wild rabbit ragu which he devoured and I had the biggest pork chop (on the bone) that i have ever seen. It was served on a bed of creamy pesto and was delicious...so tasty. We also had a portion of chips and a portion of polenta chips (OMG delicious again) but we couldn't finish either of the sides...we had outdone ourselves. Much to our disappointment we ran out of time and had to run the short distance to the sea front and the Brighton centre for our show. Can't wait to go back. Friendly service - not the fastest but everything was so fresh and tasty - I'd rather wait for my food than hear the ping of the microwave and the thud of the freezer door closing any day. Not the cheapest meal but we ordered a bit too much and as i said had at least 4 cocktails. We could have eaten very well for at least half our bill but were in 'treat' mode...and a mighty fine treat it was too.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I've visited here a couple of times and really enjoyed the food. I had deliberately avoided going as it caused quite a stir when it first opened.

So I waited until people had stopped banging on about it and the dust had settled. I have to say I wasn't disappointed.

It was bust on the first occasion and quiet on the second. If you are in town and want some reliable Italian food, make a visit but it might be an idea to book if you want to avoid disappointment!

1  Thank Stevie M