“Surprised By Negative Reviews - Always Enjoyable”
Review of Jamie's Italian

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #341 of 1,209 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN BRIGHTON A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. The lovely Brighton restaurant is located on Black Lion Street, a stone's throw from the seafront, nestled within Brighton's famous Lanes. The rooftop terrace is a great spot to enjoy a drink and a bowl of our freshly made pasta or a burger after a trip to the beach, or relax in one of the cosy booths and watch the chefs at work in their beautiful open kitchen. There's something for everyone here, whatever the occasion - a quick bite with friends or a big family dinner - come in and soak up the atmosphere while you tuck into some delicious Italian food.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Firstly I'd like to say how surprised I am by the volume of complaints some reviewers have about this restaurant. I've been many times now and have never been disappointed! I will admit that there has been, on occasion, a little issue here or there (the stew wasn't available during one visit, for example) but these have all been totally minor and have all been righted asap by the staff whenever possible.

The food itself is fantastic - I really don't know why some people have complained that it's been bland as I have never experienced anything less than a really tasty and fresh meal here. The olives on ice really are fantastic; a must-try for any olive lovers, and the mains have always been filling, delicious and very enjoyable.

The staff have always been great, especially on my last visit when I took my mum out for Mother's Day. The place was packed full and there were lots of large family groups, but everyone seemed perfectly satisfied and the staff were really helpful, never once trying to hurry us up or rushing us.

It does get pretty busy and this can lead to a noisy atmosphere, but I enjoy that in a restaurant. I take that as a sign of a successful business, and I'd much rather eat somewhere lively and busy than an empty, quiet place with little to no atmosphere. One time I did have to wait about 30 mins for my pre-booked table but I was offered a complimentary selection of nibbles (really delicious cold meats and olives) at the bar and the bar staff were very chatty and friendly.

The prices here always seem to be very reasonable, but drinks do knock the price up quite a bit, as is the case in almost every restaurant. For a famous name chef establishment, Jamie's is pretty good value, not being much more expensive than any other mid-range priced restaurant (think ASK, Strada, even Pizza Express) and the portions are always fairly generous.

I understand from the other reviews that Jamie's seems a little hit and miss, but I've been many times since moving to Brighton two years ago and have always been very happy with both the service and quality of the food. Maybe I've just been lucky, but really can't think of a time I've left feeling dissatisfied.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,644)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is the third time we have eating at Jamie's and I can't quite put my finger of why we never walk past. Perhaps it is because it is always busy or just that I feel at home, but I like it. I had the Sardine bruschetta, followed by the "Porchetta" special both were excellent, the others had pasta and their plates were clean. At £25/head for 3 courses it seems good value too. Not perfect but where is?

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Not able to get a table on Saturday night, unsurprisingly!! so went back on Sunday night..great table upstairs, very impressed with the decor..loved the Italian Breads, main courses were good but may be improved by coming with vegetables instead of having to pay extra..Our server Sam was outstanding..nothing was too much trouble for her and her guidance on the menu and the wine was excellent..Jamie... pay her more to make sure you keep her!!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is the 3rd time I have been to Jamies and every time I leave feeling disappointed in respect of the food.
I ordered the seafood bucatini which tasted nice, but it didn't have much depth (or spice) to it. The squid was chewy and there was not 1 mussel in there. The description of the dish on the menu also states scallops, and there was only 1.
In general, the new menu is also overloaded and confusing.
1 good thing - the staff are friendly and knowledgeable.
I might go back, but only because I've got bored of the other restaurants in Brighton (ie. not for a long time!)

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had heard so much about this chef and his restaurants I was looking forward to a rather nice dinner there. But honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about. The menu didn't look much superior to, say, an Olive Garden experience here in the states, and the place had a real "TGI Fridays" feel to it. Groups of twenty-somethings all over. I don't consider fried zucchini, fried mozzarella sticks, fried mushrooms, etc to be mainstays of any true Italian meal and it was a surprise to see such "bar food" prominently on the menu. The famous olives were good, but not worth the price - they were olives! The menu was large, though, so perhaps hunting around one could find something with a bit more interest. It's just so expensive though I am not sure I'd want to gamble that much.