“relaxed lunch with great service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jamie's Italian

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #175 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN BRIGHTON A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. The lovely Brighton restaurant is located on Black Lion Street, a stone's throw from the seafront, nestled within Brighton's famous Lanes. The rooftop terrace is a great spot to enjoy a drink and a bowl of our freshly made pasta or a burger after a trip to the beach, or relax in one of the cosy booths and watch the chefs at work in their beautiful open kitchen. There's something for everyone here, whatever the occasion - a quick bite with friends or a big family dinner - come in and soak up the atmosphere while you tuck into some delicious Italian food.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“relaxed lunch with great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was not my first visit to Jamie's in Brighton, but it was the first in over a year. Hard to work out why I had not returned since my memories were generally good. I ate there twice in its opening few weeks when things were still being ironed out and since then had enjoyed two or three family meals there but for some reason, possibly the sheer amount of people and noise it generates in the evenings, have generally avoided the place. So, this time I went for lunch during half term with the kids and my mum and we had a lovely time thanks in part to the food but more so to the wonderful service. the waitress was simply brilliant - informed, attentive, smiley, great with my (quite fussy) mum, but not patronising or pushy and very good with the kids, who are seasoned restauranteurs themselves. We enjoyed crispy squid whilst the kids tucked into their tasty sliders and then had a wonderful pizza special alongside some perfectly cooked but ever so slightly over-salted fresh ravioli. More than in many places I can remember the service completely made this meal and it just makes you realise how important that is to the experience. Should bring me back more often.

• Visited October 2012

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
South West England
“Very disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Six of us ate here on Saturday night. The staff were in the main pleasant, but not that warming and lacking charm. The restaurant was very busy which was great and the atmosphere was buzzing. We all ordered different dishes, some of a higher standard than others, so we resorted to sharing. I was quite outraged that the truffle risotto I ordered was tiny. There is a choice of either a starter or main course size. I requested a main course portion. I actually thought there had been a mistake as the meal was tiny, one of the tiniest meals I have ever been served. But no, it was in fact a main course option. The flavours were terrific but I think I counted just 7 mouthfuls of food. I came away feeling ravenous!! The wine was shockingly over priced and an order of olives for all of us to serve a table of 6, consisted of just 6 olives. Jamie's profits must be soaring! Only one of my friends had a satisfying dining experience, and we are all easy to please punters with well rounded experiences of fine dining. My Vegan friend ordered vegetables and a salad. She commented that both were tasteless. The bill was way too high for what we received and we left disappointed and hungry!

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
sussex
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I hate to say it, but I was disappointed with Jamies italian. The food was ok, nothing amazing at all, I ordered a small portion as usually if a restaurant gives the option, the small is plenty for me. Unfortunately the portion at Jamies was tiny! The wine was over priced, the kids menu was very small.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kharris1
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly and Professional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We didn't have a table booked but we were seated by half seven. Waitress was lovely. Cocktails were amazing. Atmosphere was really intimate and warm despite being a large place. Food was so so - though much better than anything you'd get at other Italian chains. Go for a platter to start. For main I had truffle risotto and the little lady has the squid ink spaghetti - both were finished although there was some flare / detail missing on both dishes.

The reason why I've given it very good rather than average is because of the service. By accident one extra drink was added to our bill. The manager came out and was very professional and not overly-apologetic. He walked away and we thought that was the end of it, but he returned a minute later with a complimentary glass of prosecco for each of us.... which was a classy thing to do.

• Visited November 2012
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Very noisy & slow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Due to the rustic ambience the restaurant is very noisy with people talking. The food was nice, not very hot, but it was a very busy Saturday night with not enough staff I suspect. Our server "Olly" was great, very curteous, but the food took too long. Seated at 8.30, still wating for dessert at 11.20 and we had pre ordered out meal!

Visited November 2012