“Best fish & chips ever”
Review of IL Bistro

IL Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
IL Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 1,168 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Locally owned and locally loved, IL Bistro is the original bistro in the lanes. A family run steakhouse brasserie that specialises in the best available scotch steaks, prime cut meats and seafood dishes. IL Bistro has worked with local food suppliers since 1976 and prides itself on being one of the longest serving independent restaurants in Brighton. Set in a fisherman's cottage which dates back to the 18th century in the reign of George I the restaurant is situated in the heart of the lanes in Market street and is within walking distance from the beach, Churchill square, the Royal Pavilion and the Theatre Royal and is open for pre theatre dining, breakfast and lunches seven days a week.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My son and I stumbled across this little eaterie on Friday evening, lovely service and very tasty food, I had the fish,chips & mushy peas and have to say was the nicest, lightest, tastiest fish I have ever eaten, will definitely return here and recommend it to friends.

There are newer reviews for IL Bistro

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Popped in here for a quick lunch when shopping in Brighton. Quite a little gem. Both my husband and I ate from the fixed price lunch menu, which if I remember rightly was only £10.00. We both had the pate as a starter and I then had the 'fish and chip' lunch and my husband had the lasagne. To be honest, I never expect much from fixed price menus, particularly lunch time ones but this was really lovely. The food was very tasty and well presented and house wine was also much better than is often the case. We sat inside the restaurant althought there is outside seating. The staff were very pleasant and attentive and I will certainly return when in Brighton on other occasions. Very good value for good tasting food, pleasantly served.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

originally sat down at a nearby restaurant but found nothing I liked on the menu so moved to Il Bistro and very glad that I did. Wide choice, but settled for the set menu which turned out to be excellent value. Service was prompt and friendly and I would definitely return when next in Brighton.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Cheap ingredients poorly cooked and lazily presented; the sort of culinary experience that only the good old UK can still deliver. The worst steak frites I have ever tasted - tough, gristly meat which must have come from a particularly neurotic beast. Part undercooked, part overcooked. Raw fries and an undressed salad set it all off a treat.

The service was willing but bumbling...though that hardly seemed to matter.

So then...it's either incompetence or indifference that rules at this establishment. Viva 1982!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Went to Brighton for our friends Wedding Anniversary, we'd planned a dinner at the Casino only to turn up and it was under refurb. Were dressed to the nine's getting taxi back to the lanes not knowing where to go. Starts to poor down, no umbrella no coats!!!! I'm dairy intolerant and it's hard to find places I can eat. We ran down a street to be met by cosy restaurant. Il Bistro. The manager came out and talked me through the menu and made sure he told the chef of my intolerances. He gave us complementary bowl of muscles as I wanted to try them and changed the recipe so I could eat them. Myself and my husband bought bottle of champagne for our friends for their anniversary (which was lovely and not too expensive). The service was great and the food was impeccable. Very relaxed we weren't rushed through our starters and onto our main. I can recommend this restaurant and will definitely be returning when we go to Brighton. Definitely 10 out of 10. So pleased we took short cut through lane in the rain.