“Small Bistro - great food”

New Steine Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
New Steine Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #471 of 1,186 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tucked away inside the fashionable New Steine Hotel in central Brighton is an award-winning restaurant serving up homemade French food. The New Steine Bistro has a cosy Parisian vibe, and the contemporary décor has a distinct Provencal twist. Set in a five-storey Georgian townhouse, this elegant restaurant attracts business travellers and tourists as well as food loving locals, and the classic French menu is made with produce sourced from Sussex farmers. Perfect for romantic escapes, working lunches and chic dinner parties, the New Steine Bistro boasts a certain je ne sais quois. Expect gourmet Gallic treats such as steak frites with garlic butter and Béarnaise; foie gras de canard, served with warm toast; and crème brulee.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Small, friendly with good French food. We ate here because we were staying in the hotel - but it was so good we ate the next night too. The menu is not huge but contains real French food, properly cooked and of very good quality for the price. I was particularly impressed by the escargot.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

There were seven of us that went to this restaurant on a Saturday evening. It was nice and relaxed, but it was somewhat expensive. The portions were fair, but for the price they could have been a bit bigger.
One of our party found a hair in their food, but the waitress did promptly replace the meal on a new plate. Overall it is a nice place to have dinner in Brighton and I would recommend it, but you will need to make sure you do bring your wallet.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We went yesterday evneing on a Living Social deal, and had a superb meal. I had the leek and cheese tart to start, with a well dressed salad, followed by a very generous piece of hake and delightful vegetables. I could not finish either course as the portions were so large, but my partner managed to find room for what I could not! My partner had the ox cheek spring rolls (sounds odd, tastes great) and the steak for which there was a small supplement. Steak and chips very tasty, and cooked as requested medium rare. Outstanding food for a second time at the New Steine.

The service was enthusiatic, if perhaps for some of the team quite early days in their careers, but all delivered with pleasantness, and we all had to start somewhere in our jobs.

We will go again without any voucher offer as we really think we have found a little gem, plus we can park easily too on Madeira Drive - a real bonus in Brighton.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We booked this on the basis of the good reviews, and so we were very disappointed with the meal here. The waitress appeared never to have worked in a restaurant before, and did not speak English. We ordered a bottle of wine, and when she brought it, she just plonked it down on the table and walked away. Didn't even open it for us, never mind asking if we would like to taste it or offering us an ice bucket!

The food was overly rich, portions were very large. I had salmon with risotto, but it seemed that my risotto had been cooked in cream rather than stock, a tasted like rice pudding. Inedible. Luckily I wasn't hungry due to the size of my starter...

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant - inexperienced and inattentive staff, and a complete lack of finesse in the kitchen. Avoid, for the price there are many, many better places to eat in Brighton.

2  Thank Jo B
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I must note that it was late last year that my partner and I attended the New Steine Bistro. We used 'Table Pouncer' to book a table. The waiter, who also appeared to be in charge, both on the floor and in the kitchen was rude from the start. We guessed he didn't like the fact that we had a discounted meal, as when we mentioned it he barely even spoke to us. we ordered food from a menu that looked like it could be delicious. We waited an HOUR for our starter even though there was only one other couple in the restaurant. We both ordered the escargot which was a mistake. considering they had taken an hour to be prepared they were luke warm and soggy and sad. we got no apology from the waiter for the amount of time taken. our next course, we had to wait 45 minutes for before we asked to pay for our drinks and go. In retrospect, we should have left without paying anything the waiter did not apologise and when my partner asked for the bill, he was standing in the kitchen doing nothing. The experience ruined our night out together and we ended up in Subway, which in comparison was wonderful. The other couple in the restaurant were also waiting the whole time we were there, and the woman said her dish was missing the vital ingredients listed on the menu. Absolutely shocking. I will never recommend this to anyone.

2  Thank hollypocket