“Another Great Meal Here!”

New Steine Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
New Steine Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #510 of 1,112 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: French, European
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Tucked away inside the fashionable New Steine Hotel in central Brighton is an award-winning restaurant serving up homemade French food. The New Steine Bistro has a cosy Parisian vibe, and the contemporary décor has a distinct Provencal twist. Set in a five-storey Georgian townhouse, this elegant restaurant attracts business travellers and tourists as well as food loving locals, and the classic French menu is made with produce sourced from Sussex farmers. Perfect for romantic escapes, working lunches and chic dinner parties, the New Steine Bistro boasts a certain je ne sais quois. Expect gourmet Gallic treats such as steak frites with garlic butter and Béarnaise; foie gras de canard, served with warm toast; and crème brulee.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Another Great Meal Here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We went yesterday evneing on a Living Social deal, and had a superb meal. I had the leek and cheese tart to start, with a well dressed salad, followed by a very generous piece of hake and delightful vegetables. I could not finish either course as the portions were so large, but my partner managed to find room for what I could not! My partner had the ox cheek spring rolls (sounds odd, tastes great) and the steak for which there was a small supplement. Steak and chips very tasty, and cooked as requested medium rare. Outstanding food for a second time at the New Steine.

The service was enthusiatic, if perhaps for some of the team quite early days in their careers, but all delivered with pleasantness, and we all had to start somewhere in our jobs.

We will go again without any voucher offer as we really think we have found a little gem, plus we can park easily too on Madeira Drive - a real bonus in Brighton.

• Visited June 2013

London
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We booked this on the basis of the good reviews, and so we were very disappointed with the meal here. The waitress appeared never to have worked in a restaurant before, and did not speak English. We ordered a bottle of wine, and when she brought it, she just plonked it down on the table and walked away. Didn't even open it for us, never mind asking if we would like to taste it or offering us an ice bucket!

The food was overly rich, portions were very large. I had salmon with risotto, but it seemed that my risotto had been cooked in cream rather than stock, a tasted like rice pudding. Inedible. Luckily I wasn't hungry due to the size of my starter...

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant - inexperienced and inattentive staff, and a complete lack of finesse in the kitchen. Avoid, for the price there are many, many better places to eat in Brighton.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Jo B
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Awful.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I must note that it was late last year that my partner and I attended the New Steine Bistro. We used 'Table Pouncer' to book a table. The waiter, who also appeared to be in charge, both on the floor and in the kitchen was rude from the start. We guessed he didn't like the fact that we had a discounted meal, as when we mentioned it he barely even spoke to us. we ordered food from a menu that looked like it could be delicious. We waited an HOUR for our starter even though there was only one other couple in the restaurant. We both ordered the escargot which was a mistake. considering they had taken an hour to be prepared they were luke warm and soggy and sad. we got no apology from the waiter for the amount of time taken. our next course, we had to wait 45 minutes for before we asked to pay for our drinks and go. In retrospect, we should have left without paying anything the waiter did not apologise and when my partner asked for the bill, he was standing in the kitchen doing nothing. The experience ruined our night out together and we ended up in Subway, which in comparison was wonderful. The other couple in the restaurant were also waiting the whole time we were there, and the woman said her dish was missing the vital ingredients listed on the menu. Absolutely shocking. I will never recommend this to anyone.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank hollypocket
Ashford Kent
“A WOW meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Went here with a Gourmet meal Voucher offering two of us a special meal. And the Restautrant certaily delivered. We eat out a lot around the world and this meal is up there amongst the best.

Everything as promised - five courses plus sorbet, an opportunity at the beginning to tell the chef if there were any of his course choices you didn't like, excellent food, perfectly cooked, well presented and pleasently served. I would have hated to have a "full" dish of any of the courses.

We will certainly go back, , next time taking friends to share our new found delight.

• Visited May 2013
Brighton, England
“Could be great with a bit of tweaking.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Used a Living Social voucher for dinner recently. Nice welcome and seated comfortably in a very pleasant room that soon filled up with diners. There was an option of a small glass of red or white, no rose available. The white we had wasn't all that. For starters I had crab rillette and my husband had the duck pate. After a considerable wait, we were both served three slices of sour dough toast with the rillette and pate in an espresso cup with a morsel of parsley on top. We both would have preferred one less toast and maybe some mayonnaise (lime?) with the crab and a few baby leaves, and a chutney or sauce with the pate. Both of them were pretty dry and crumbly to eat as served, and mine wasn't particularly flavoursome. I then had the pork cheeks cooked in red wine sauce and hubby (unwisely) had the ballotine of chicken. I received five good pieces of pork, beautifully tender with a portion of creamed potato. The chicken was huge and so was the lump of dauphinois potato that accompanied it. Again, we would have preferred smaller portions of meat and have some vegetables with the meal. Also, the chicken was stuffed with cheese, the dauphinois was very cheesy, and it overwhelmed the rest of the flavours. We had two large glasses of red with our meal which was a lot better than the white we started with. At no point were we asked whilst we had our food in front of us if everything was ok.
So......., for the money we paid, we mustn't grumble. However, these meals were from the a la carte menu, and had we paid full price we wouldn't have been happy. The people that served us were very pleasant, the place had a nice buzz, and our meals could have been brilliant with just a bit of thought and care.

• Visited May 2013