“High expectations”

The Melrose Restaurant
Ranked #76 of 1,139 Restaurants in Brighton
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fresh fish, shellfish and seafood restaurant. Scottish Steaks also available. Seafront location. Family run restaurant.(run by the same family for the last 50 years). Outside seating available. Opposite British Airways i360 tower.
Collaroy Beach, Australia
“High expectations”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My UK based family took us here for lunch on a visit to Brighton. It had been highly recommended and we looked forward to enjoying a good seafood lunch. Maybe as an Aussie I am accustomed to excellent seafood, cooked beautifully, so I was surprised to be a little disappointed on the day. I choose not to be too specific as it was my son-in-laws fathers favourite restaurant, so I expected it to be great. I also took note of the Tripadvisor ratings that were framed on the wall and so maybe I expected too much. My salmon was fairly ordinary and my husband commented later that he was not all that impressed with his food either. The staff tried hard to please us and this was noted.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank Brownsineurope

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Best lobster in Brighton”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just been to the Melrose for my birthday with family on my friends recommendation. Superb food particularly the crab and lobster. Lovely staff, wonderfully view of sea and ruin of west pier plus great value for money. If you like fish do not miss this place

11 Thank Ian T
London
“high standards maintained.”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is a review of a recent re-visit to Brighton and the Melrose. As usual, the food was excellent, the wines very reasonably priced and service excellent. On my previous visit I had commented on the "smallness" of the napkins provided, and was glad to see this remedied! This is definitely one of the better rtaurants in Brighton and I recommend it highly.

12 Thank algosh
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Wish we hadn't left it so long !”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We used to use this restaurant at least once a week,then moved which made it a bit of a journey. Yesterday,it was a(rare)sunny day,so we made the effort. So glad we did ! Mary was as welcoming as always,and Oksana,the lovely Lithuanian(?)waitress really made our visit,nothing was too much trouble. We had fresh bread to pick on and a bottle of the extremely reasonable house white wine. I had my favourite,grilled plaice and chips,and my husband had a massive,beautifully cooked skate wing,which at £9.50 was an absolute steal. We shared a Greek salad and the world was a fabulous place for a couple of hours ! There are two restaurants,side by side,but we have only ever eaten at Tony and Marys,it somehow seems more welcoming and intimate. We'll definitely be back on the next sunny day !

9 Thank claudia m
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Don't be put off by the dated look!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We ate here Friday night on my Dad's recommendation. To be honest, I would not have even tried it, judging by the outside or even the inside!! The decor is very dated apart from the new looking bar area..... but the food is great! Hub had TBone steak, which was big and perfectly cooked and I had the grilled skate wing. Kids shared a sirloin, again cooked perfecly. So impressed with quality/value were we, that we all returned Saturday, this time I shared the TBone with youngest son and eldest shared the shellfish platter with Dad. Really lovely and great value. My only criticism with the menu is the uninspiring selection of veg/salad, but meat and fish was spot on. very good value for money and family friendly

• Visited April 2013