“pretentious unimpressive”

The Restaurant at Drakes
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant at Drakes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Considered by many to be Brighton's best restaurant, backed up by its status as the highest scoring local dining room in the Good Food Guide, The Restaurant at Drakes is an elegantly stylish setting for any occasion. Subtle lighting casts moody shadows across exposed brickwork and rich colours throughout the intimate dining room while Drakes cocktail bar offers airy sea views and excellent cocktails. The kitchen team insist on the best of ingredients, fresh and seasonal, including fish bought daily from local fishing boats, to create the excellent, refined menu that has earned the restaurant two AA rosettes. A special place, unpretentious in its warm atmosphere, it's easy to see why The Restaurant at Drakes has such a reputation.
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Booking was made to seem the restaurant was full, having eaten there that night and only 3 tables seated, clearly the kitchen could not cope with any more tables. Heavily staggered bookings at the expense of atmosphere and convenience of the diner.

The food was ok, over complicated and unimpressive. There seems to be this trend to complicate food at the expense of the primary objective. This place is a victim of this. Better meals to be had for far less, and with far better atmosphere, less pretentious service.

Shame!

1  Thank Nicholas A

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I stayed in Brighton for a friend's hen do over the Easter Bank Holiday. We ate at Drake's restaurant on Saturday night before a night of drinking and I could not fault the restaurant at all. When the booking was made by the bridesmaids months beforehand I called the restaurant and asked if they could cater for my wheat, gluten & dairy allergies, they simply said yes and made a note on the booking.

When I got there on the night, they had a separate menu made for me, I was thrilled! I had 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts to choose from, which is more than I usually get in some places. I'm not really a starter person but I was happily surprised when I was provided gluten free bread alongside oil whilst the others has rolls and butter whilst waiting for the main course.

For the main I ordered the sea trout with potato galette (which was stunning) and dessert was rhubarb and mango sorbet (the former I never has as a flavour before so was delighted to try). There were also some additional food dishes such as a tangerine jelly with whipped cream (mine came without the cream).

Apart from the food the restaurant was lovely; we were put into our own private room downstairs, which made the hen feel very special & pampered. Wine was lovely, with plenty of choice, and the staff were delightful, any concerns I had the woman immediately asked the head chef to check.

Everyone in the hen party loved the food and restaurant.
I would happily eat there again, no doubts about that. Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Six of us booked a private room for a lovely dinner, and we were blown away!

The service was faultless. In addition to being perfectly charming, they not only 'catered' for one of our party who is both dairy and gluten free, but went above and beyond for her, giving her a truly incredible dinner. Note that we did advise them of this dietary requirement in advance.

The food itself was fantastic, I'm still having dreams about the scallops and bacon foam...

Thank you Drakes, I'll be bringing my partner here for his birthday! Definitely the place to go in Brighton for a special occasion.

1  Thank Claire_Linacre
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I've been living in Brighton for around 20 years now and somehow have only just gotten around to eating in the restaurant at Drakes. I should have come here sooner. The whole experience is fantastic from the staff, drinks, ambience and of course the food.
The bar and restaurant are intimate without being too much so and I'm glad I came early for a cocktail in the bar before dinner as the cocktails are prepared really well and the atmosphere and view of the sea help settle you in for the food ahead.
Moving downstairs to the restaurant, the space is well prepared and while not particularly large, you don't feel packed in even though there seems to be quite a number of tables squeezed in.
All of the staff are very attentive and seem to know their stuff, just like the chef who has done a great job with the menu. Each dish was well thought out and each course fits nicely with the next to create a stunning meal. As an appetiser we were presented with a complimentary Jerusalem artichoke and truffle oil soup which was rich and full of flavour, while having a very light rather than heavy consistency. I moved on to the hand dived scallops with bacon foam which were cooked beautifully with just the right consistency. My main of beef was wonderful and the flavours of the accompanying mash and kale came together beautifully.
I will most certainly be coming back here again soon for what I'd expect to be another fantastic dining experience.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

The bar for pre dinner drinks is very intimate and you do not feel at all intimidated if you are the first of a group to arrive and are waiting alone which can often be the case in other restaurants. Service was lovely with care and attention to detail. Food was wonderful with a lovely choice on the menu and little extras that set this restaurant apart. The ambience in the restaurant was quiet but without being hushed and did not have brashness of some other restaurants. We had decided to try here for a change so was our first visit and will definitely not be our last.