Artist Residence Brighton
Topps(Brighton)
Beach Hotel(Brighton)
  • Pool
1,170 results
All reviewscocktail shackregency squaretiny artyroberts radioping pong roomsea viewquirky hotellocal artistswest pierold westbasement roombreakfast was includedbigger roomcomfy bedtea and coffeefull englishbreakfast was amazing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Sad to see some bad reviews of this lovely hotel as I had a really good stay.

Good points:
- Greeted on arrival into the light, bright hallway by Lucy who knew my name (I was the last guest to arrive that day) and gave excellent pub advice. Noemi was on duty in the morning and was chatty whilst I had my breakfast and offered to put my coffee in a takeaway cup as I had to leave to catch a train. Not sure who the man was but he helped me sort out some internet in the evening.

- Lots of good info in the hallway - art guides and a bowl of lovehearts!

- My room was just as expected - not massive but big enough for me with a very comfortable bed and great pillows and duvet. The bathroom was on the small side but I did not mind. The decor was light, bright and individual - I booked through the website so was able to select the room I wanted.

- Great seaview from the front and the breakfast room, and the hotel is ideally situated to be close to the city centre.

Bad points:
- The lift is a bit of an old shell and I would not recommend it if you are not good with lifts. I only used it to get my suitcase up and down from my room, and opted to take all 5 flights of stairs otherwise. Not bad for a young lady but if you struggle with stairs then request a room on one of the lower floors.

- My bathroom smelt a bit odd. Not dirty - it was clean, just odd.

I think that this hotel has probably undergone a massive overhaul, judging by the older, bad reviews. During my stay the staff were very conscientious and at no time did I feel the hotel to be dirty or cramped. My bed was made everyday and the bathroom given a clean. I would (and have) recommended this hotel to many.

Room Tip: The Jo Peel Room as accurate to the photo and a lovely place to stay.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ArtistResidenceTeam, Manager at Artist Residence Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear 383HelenH,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review, we really do appreciate it and we are so glad you had such a great stay with us! I'll pass on your kind comments to the rest of the staff, they will be delighted that you appreciated the welcoming atmosphere, the art and the breakfast!

As you mentioned the hotel is in a very old building (with an old lift!), and we are constantly doing maintenance work in order to improve both the rooms and the communal areas so our guests have the best possible stay.

We are really glad you enjoyed the Jo Peel room- perhaps on your next visit you will be able to try out one of the other rooms! We do offer a 10% discount to returning guests and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The first time we visited this B&B we loved the location and the concept but there was nowhere to have breakfast (except in the room) and we were next door to some very noisy people. This time I took my mum for her birthday and it's been much improved. There is a lovely eclectically furnished breakfast room with a great view, excellent artwork (which is for sale) and the breakfasts were brilliant - loved the juice jugs so much I'm going to get myself one We were a little early to check in and were offered tea in the breakfast area while we waited for the room to be ready. We had a twin room with a fun bus shaped bathroom which had everything we needed in it and was very clean. Well thought out extras in the room were the little maps with recommendations and the fair trade tea & coffee. Location is great - close to shops and easy to walk back to after dinner. Staff were friendly and helpful. Very good value for money and we will definitely stay here again - looking forward to trying some of the other rooms.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Big Bezza,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a great review! We were delighted to welcome you back and are very pleased to here you appreciated the improvements we have made since your first visit, particularly the breakfast (and our juice jugs!). The gallery room had recently been refurbished and we are really glad you liked it!
We do hope to welcome you back again soon to try out one of our other rooms. We offer a 10% discount to returning guests!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

It is a lovely nice place with friendly people working there and excellent breakfast! Very stylish and comfortable rooms. An excellent place for people who love old houses and art.
It is only five minutes to the sea. Some rooms have a view. Ten minutes distance to the very center of Brighton and its pubs.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor might be a bit cold in the heating period.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
ArtistResidenceTeam, Manager at Artist Residence Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Angela72_11,

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and took the time to write us such a lovely review- Thankyou! We will pass on your comments to the rest of the staff at the hotel, they will be delighted you appreciated the friendly atmosphere and of course the breakfast!

We hope you will come and stay with us again in the future in either Brighton or our hotel in Cornwall- we offer a 10% discount for returning guests.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

This B & B is a very colourful experience painted by local artist. It is set in a mews which is overlooking the old rustic old pier. The rooms are warm and spacious and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful . The hotel is very close to the sea and the fantastic lanes.totally recommend this hotel for a stay in Brighton. .

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Elaine H,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! We are really glad you enjoyed your stay at Artist Residence and appreciated the art, the atmosphere and of course the lovely view!
The best form of advertising for us is word of mouth so thank you so much for recommending us to others. We do hope you will come and stay with us again next time you're in Brighton.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Spent 2 nights here over the Easter Weekend. The location is perfect, with the rusted old pier in clear view from the hotel, an iconic sight that can be seen from the contemporary and quirky breakfast room.

We had the one of the smallest rooms (to my knowledge) in the hotel, but it was more than enough! Considered decor, polished black ensuite and well-kept feel, all contributing to make this one of my favourite hotels. Far from grand, posh or 5*, Artist Residence absolutely outstrips any hotels of its type/price.

I would advise ANYONE intending to stay in Brighton on a modest budget to try and get a room in this boutique accommodation, it's original, friendly and really added to my visit.

Thanks to everyone at Artist Residence, much appreciated!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ArtistResidenceTeam, Manager at Artist Residence Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Tom M,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review! We are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the views and the location. I will let the rest of the team know about your kind comments, and we hope to welcome you back to stay with us again soon.