“Great 'B&B', Very nice room for a good price”

and 1 more site!
The Pink Pavilion Bijou B and B
Ranked #69 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The location of the hotel is perfect: close to the pier, ten minute walk from downtown city and lots of restaurant around. The room was very clean (a bit small but ok), very nice decorated for the price and friendly people. Downside: There is no breakfast..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I first read the reviews about this B&B after booking a room. If I had read the reviews before then I may not have bothered however I tried to look on the bright side.....not much of one I realised upon arrival.

The only times we really saw anyone was upon arrival and departure.

The room was dire! It was so cramped that my husband and myself had to store our luggage in the bath! The toilet was a converted space in the bay window which had frosted glass only half way up and so the people in the hotel next door can look down on you going to the loo.

We rearranged the furniture upon arrival to try to create more space.

The bed was so soft and the pillows so lumpy that both of us only managed to get about 2 hours sleep per night. Also the bed squeaked so loudly that every time you turned over in the night you were likely to wake other people up. We realised this when the people upstairs came back at 1am and got a little frisky!!!!

Not all rooms are on-suite and so we had a bathroom next door to us for the room upstairs and so we were disturbed every time someone used the bathroom.

The fixtures and fittings are dangerous. There were bare wires going into the plug sockets. The skirting boards and door frame were so badly fitted that you could put your fingers behind them. The radiator over the bath wasn't secured properly and so you could move it away from the wall. The bedside table was loose and wobbly and so you couldn't put anything on it. The decor is obviously done by the famous decorators 'Bodgeit and Leggit!'

Oh and to top it all off this is a B&B that doesn't serve breakfast!!

Never again!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I booked two nights (Saturday & Sunday) at Maison Mascara via Hostelworld for the Brighton Marathon. We were put in Room 1 at the front of the building, I can honestly say that I didn't notice any noise from outside the hotel on Saturday night.

The room was small but very clean with good quality bedding and a nice selection of tea & coffee. The shower inside the main room was a bit odd but I didn't mind that as I was with my boyfriend. It would have been a bit odd if I was travelling with one of my female friends, might be worth clarifying this a bit more on the website!

The room was tidied and linen changed on the first night of our stay, the location was very convenient for the start (and more importantly finish!) of the Marathon and I was very happy with the two members of staff who worked on Reception when we checked in and checked out.

However, I do agree with previous comments that the customer service on booking could be better. I sent several emails confirming what time we would be arriving on the Saturday, and asking about parking in the nearby vicinity. I didn't hear anything back from the hotel and researched parking myself so we weren't relying on them to provide it. Better communication before arrival would be nice.

The website made clear that they do not provide breakfast but have special deals with nearby restaurants. This actually worked in our favour as we brought our own pre-marathon breakfasts with us, and would not have taken advantage of any breakfast provided by the hostel in any case.

Overall, good value for money. More of a decent hostel than a bijou hotel but much better than the majority of others in Brighton!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank xine267
Reviewed April 8, 2012

From the website of this hotel, it comes across as very posh & exclusive... this doesn't meet what you find! It seems that you'll experience luxurious surroundings.. this definitely isn't the case. Checking in, the man who helped us check in gave us a pass for the car, luckily parked right outside the house.. he then disappeared, and we didn't see him at all. We were put into the very front room, which had a bizarre set up; the shower was facing the bed, and there was a toilet essentially in a little cupboard. Being described as a B&B is inaccurate also... the alternative wasn't even provided! The shower itself was surrounded in mould; the room was cold & the window was battered and cold. The headboard banged into the wall each time you moved.. and the window in the toilet was see-through. Also, the front door bangs A LOT; I'm quite a heavy sleeper, but this made me jump every time. I would definitely recommend an alternative place, as this doesn't match expectations at all.

Room Tip: Choose an alternative!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We found this *bnb* on bookings
.Com and found photos very appealing ! Myself and partner also his sister and boyfriend booked 2 rooms at this place at total cost of 340 pounds for 2 nights so (170 per room) we loved the look of the pictures on the website ! And thought we would be staying in luxury for the weekend ! Apon arrival we booked into hotel and was shown to our rooms by a man who could not speak or understand any english whatsoever ! When we entered our rooms it was dark dingy small although stated bijou we had no idea of how tiny it actually was ! We asked for private bathing facilities including bathroom and toilet and what we was presented with was a cupboard for a toilet and the shower in the bedroom next to the bed without any ventilation ! My room was no1 which was inside the 2 front doors so had to put up with them both slamming shut at all hours ! The bed was rock hard it had a rusty headboard attached to it which banged when u moved ! I also had a small bay window which overlooked main street the glazing was diabolicle single glazed so u heard everything from the street and to add the glass was cut about 10cm to small for frame and they had glued a piece of board over outside to cover the gap :( which made the room cold ! The wallpaper was peeling off in places and very poor paintwork ! The curtains didn't even fit properly ! Also there was mould in the shower tray ! I could have spent less money at a travel lodge and at least got clean and comfortable room !!! Would never stay here again not even for free !! And I will be making a complaint to trading standards and enviromental health it was filthy and u certainly don't get the luxury promised in photos
I believe staying there is a hazzard to anyones health !!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed April 20, 2011

The website, review on Hostelworld and the guest info (which is only to be found in some rooms...) claim this is a boutique hotel and offers luxurious accomodation.

It doesn't.

There is one beleaguered receptionist, who takes three different phone calls to actually get a hold of during the event of a complaint and a manager who refuses to take any responsibility for the running of her hotel.

To start with, the rooms are tiny, not "bijou" as the website puts it, but tiny. I've stayed in budget hotels and youth hostels that have larger rooms that are better appointed. The rooms are dusty and the decor is dingy. We started off in a "Standard Double" that was too small to actually open our suitcase properly and required us to sidle about the place through narrow gaps between bed and walls. There is also very little insulation between you and other guests so I was woken nice and early by the folk upstairs watching TV and walking about.

We had booked a room with Hostelworld, which was supposed to be a "Deluxe Double". We were initially put in a "Standard Double" and I tried to bring this to the attention of a manager or the poor, harried receptionist. It took 3 phone calls before I could talk to a person, and the person turned out to be wildly unhelpful and the entire situation turned into a deeply, deeply frustrating one as a customer. I had the email to prove that we'd booked a Deluxe room but the manager just kept repeating the price to me in an aggreived tone. I had to speak to her twice more, once by phone and once in person before she'd accept responsibility for HER agent putting the wrong prices for HER business on the internet. Apparently it was my fault we got put in the wrong room because I had not checked their own website for the prices, and then didn't call both them and Hostelworld to ask about the discrepancy. Notwithstanding that I've had some fantastic deals through Hostelworld and Lastminute.com that bear no relation to the prices quoted on hotels' websites, but we'll skip over that...

After we finally moved into the correct room, I began to realise that the hotel was harbouring delusions of grandeur. The "Deluxe room" had a toilet with a door that wouldn't shut, an inexplicably lumpy bed, a wonky, creaky floor, the ubiquitous dust everywhere, an untuned TV (DIY entertainment, perhaps?) and a badly-stocked tea-tray.

The only thing it did have was the oversized head-board, faux-fur throw and roll-top bath. I'd happily swap all three for helpful management, accessible receptionists and a reasonably honest idea of what the hotel is actually offering.

If you want to be overcharged for a poky room in a noisy, glorified hostel with rude, uncaring management, this is the place for you. If you'd rather actually get what you paid for and be able to ask for assistance when you need it, try just about anywhere else in the city.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank missphysics
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Words fail me. Where can I begin. Described as a bijou hotel with a sense of luxury but I think I arrived in the back of beyond. Location was excellent. Only 2 minutes to the very heart of the life of Brighton hat we had come to enjoy. Shame we couldn't enjoy the hotel as much. The room was at the front of the hotel, therefore wa extremely noisy which kept us awake most of the evening (hardy condusive to a romantic break) but to top it all, the room was like a squat. The bedding, I'm not convinced was actually freshly laundered as there was a musty, unclean smell to it and the room itself was generally run down, dirty and not looked after. The skirting board apeared to be held on with masking tape, ther4 was mould up the walls by the shower which was in the most redculous place, especially as it qas completely see though and offered no pivacy etc. Breakfast was not provided despite being advertised as a B&B but we did not find this out until the following morning when we were very hungry but given the downtrodden surroundings were actually quite relieved. For the amount that we paid, we culd have had a beautiful chasin hotel in the centre of Brighton including breakfast (and a clean, comfortable room), and a fully recommend that you look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple