“Glorified hostel - don't expect much.”

The Pink Pavilion Bijou B and B
Ranked #69 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Leeds
“Glorified hostel - don't expect much.”
Reviewed April 20, 2011

The website, review on Hostelworld and the guest info (which is only to be found in some rooms...) claim this is a boutique hotel and offers luxurious accomodation.

It doesn't.

There is one beleaguered receptionist, who takes three different phone calls to actually get a hold of during the event of a complaint and a manager who refuses to take any responsibility for the running of her hotel.

To start with, the rooms are tiny, not "bijou" as the website puts it, but tiny. I've stayed in budget hotels and youth hostels that have larger rooms that are better appointed. The rooms are dusty and the decor is dingy. We started off in a "Standard Double" that was too small to actually open our suitcase properly and required us to sidle about the place through narrow gaps between bed and walls. There is also very little insulation between you and other guests so I was woken nice and early by the folk upstairs watching TV and walking about.

We had booked a room with Hostelworld, which was supposed to be a "Deluxe Double". We were initially put in a "Standard Double" and I tried to bring this to the attention of a manager or the poor, harried receptionist. It took 3 phone calls before I could talk to a person, and the person turned out to be wildly unhelpful and the entire situation turned into a deeply, deeply frustrating one as a customer. I had the email to prove that we'd booked a Deluxe room but the manager just kept repeating the price to me in an aggreived tone. I had to speak to her twice more, once by phone and once in person before she'd accept responsibility for HER agent putting the wrong prices for HER business on the internet. Apparently it was my fault we got put in the wrong room because I had not checked their own website for the prices, and then didn't call both them and Hostelworld to ask about the discrepancy. Notwithstanding that I've had some fantastic deals through Hostelworld and Lastminute.com that bear no relation to the prices quoted on hotels' websites, but we'll skip over that...

After we finally moved into the correct room, I began to realise that the hotel was harbouring delusions of grandeur. The "Deluxe room" had a toilet with a door that wouldn't shut, an inexplicably lumpy bed, a wonky, creaky floor, the ubiquitous dust everywhere, an untuned TV (DIY entertainment, perhaps?) and a badly-stocked tea-tray.

The only thing it did have was the oversized head-board, faux-fur throw and roll-top bath. I'd happily swap all three for helpful management, accessible receptionists and a reasonably honest idea of what the hotel is actually offering.

If you want to be overcharged for a poky room in a noisy, glorified hostel with rude, uncaring management, this is the place for you. If you'd rather actually get what you paid for and be able to ask for assistance when you need it, try just about anywhere else in the city.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank missphysics

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Words fail me. Where can I begin. Described as a bijou hotel with a sense of luxury but I think I arrived in the back of beyond. Location was excellent. Only 2 minutes to the very heart of the life of Brighton hat we had come to enjoy. Shame we couldn't enjoy the hotel as much. The room was at the front of the hotel, therefore wa extremely noisy which kept us awake most of the evening (hardy condusive to a romantic break) but to top it all, the room was like a squat. The bedding, I'm not convinced was actually freshly laundered as there was a musty, unclean smell to it and the room itself was generally run down, dirty and not looked after. The skirting board apeared to be held on with masking tape, ther4 was mould up the walls by the shower which was in the most redculous place, especially as it qas completely see though and offered no pivacy etc. Breakfast was not provided despite being advertised as a B&B but we did not find this out until the following morning when we were very hungry but given the downtrodden surroundings were actually quite relieved. For the amount that we paid, we culd have had a beautiful chasin hotel in the centre of Brighton including breakfast (and a clean, comfortable room), and a fully recommend that you look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Reviewed January 2, 2011

Should have really known something wasn't quite right from the very beginning when I first rang up to book when the lady ( who I think is based at the sister hotel mascara boutique) had an argument with someone in the background whilst I was on hold! But she gave me a decent rate of two hundred quid for 4 nights including new year so it was quite a bargain- although I must add that this b&b does not supply breakfast...hmm doesn't that stand for bed and BREAKFAST?!

On arrival the hotel was completely empty...literally nobody was inside. So i rang up the lady who I booked with and she told me that because when I called her a few days earlier to check what time check in was and briefly mentioned that I would probably arrive around three; that nobody was going to be around
til then as they had gone out. I nicely told her that I wasn't prepared to wait around with
luggage til three just because they wanted to go out! Again, she put me on hold and shouted at some people. Then a few seconds later she said ok... Someone will arrive in half an hour! So happy I went for a
coffee and waited for someone to turn up and check me and my partner in...

When someone finally showed up we were warmly greeted by an old gentleman who apologised and said that no one had told him about us arriving. He also continued to tell us that he worked at both hotels running between the two for minimum wage... He said he loved his job and he generally did... But it's obvious that the owners take the p*** and use him to do everything. Literally the receptionist, cleaner and porter of both hotels!

He kindly let us choose which room we preferred and advised us that the downstairs one may be quite noisy as people come to and from bars and clubs outside the window.

We had quite a decent room although the shower inside the room was like a great glass elevator! Pointless and huge! It made the room VERY HOT and wet as there is no ventilation. The fan was covered in crap and had bugs coming from it!

As the poor old guy has to do everything it explained why it happened but still not really good enough-

Room was not made up until I
asked for it to be and that was still only once in the four nights.

We ran out of toilet roll twice as they were poor quality and had to ask for more. We were given tea and coffee facilities when we arrived which was lovely but then they were not replaced once.

The place could do with a good refurb... Masking tape on skirting board, paint over broken bits on the wall and dodgy fittings- everything from plugs not being in the right places to there being no drawers/ wardrobes and instead a rail with a few cheap hangers on it.

The thing is Im really not a fussy person and i don't mind these things.. The reason I'm writing this review is so that hopefully the owners will face up to their buisness ( I think they care
more about the bigger establishment maison mascara) and
give the place a clean and fix and hire some staff!!

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank eurobikini
England
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We booked through Laterooms, we got to our room and felt very disappointed, the room was grubby with masking tape holding on the skirting board, the paint work dirty and chipped and lots of cobwebs, the shower was in the corner of the room ( we were told this before booking) but its clear glass offering no privacy at all, the room is small and the shower is less than a foot away from the bed. The only place to put your clothes was a bar in another corner of the room which had coathangers, there were no shelves, drawers or anywhere to put toiletries, we lived out of our suitcases.
The website said there was Wifi but there was none.
This is a B&B that does not do breakfast, in the folder in our room breakfast had been crossed out. It says on the website that they have outsourced meals to a nearby restaurant where you can obtain all day breakfasts but there was no information about this in the room and we were told nothing on booking in so we found our own place to eat.
The bed linen was clean and the bed was ok but it wasn't fixed to the wall and we lost our pillows down the end of the bed as there was a gap between the head board and mattress, the tv worked ok.

In the end we stayed out as much as possible and only slept in the room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ilaias
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2010

For the price I paid for the hotel, I wasn't too disappointed in the end (when I first walked into the room I did want to demand my money back and go somewhere else!!). I paid £55 per night for the room, and stayed for 2 nights. The location was brilliant, bed was clean and there was a good TV in the room.

What I object to is being missold! The website states the hotel is bijou, exclusive, romantic... we were promised roll top baths and top notch decoration!

The place was unusual (shower was at the end of the bed - see pics!) and run down. The whole thing needed a good lick of paint. However, the room was filthy! There were horrible stains all up the walls (including in the toilet), which I can only assume was something untoward! I actually ended up cleaning these off myself as it was in such a horrible state. Dust everywhere, and mouldy parts to the ceiling, obviously where the shower is in the bedroom without proper ventilation. Also, the windows were very poor quality and we got woken up all night everynight by whatever was going on outside!

Brighton has loads and loads of other guest houses - I would pick a different one if I was going again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lnrshols
Kent
Reviewed April 23, 2010

The Pink Pavilion Hotel in Brighton sells it sells as a bijou hotel. Whilst the room was clean it was poorly maintained and furnished. In any other town that dose not have the demand on rooms as Brighton it would not survive. If we had the oppertunity we would have not stayed.
The owner also tried to move us to an inferior room as they had had a better offer for our room. Would not recoment it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Derby
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Me and my girlfriend stayed here last week. You get what you pay for, nice decor of the room, we stayed in the smallest room and it had everything we needed. Bed was very comfortable. Man who runs the place was also very nice. Must warn people that this B&B is in the centre of the gay community, we did not know this until we arrived, although it did not effect our stay at all and had a great time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple