“Bad atmosphere in the daytime” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Taste of Sahara

A Taste of Sahara
Ranked #20 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A Lebanese and Persian restaurant on Brighton���s busy Western Road, Taste of Sahara gives seaside dwellers a taste of the exotic at a very reasonable price. With its d��cor created with care to reflect the atypical Middle East of story books and holiday brochures ��� all pierced tin lanterns, heavy wood and rich colours ��� Taste of Sahara has a look which reflects the diverse flavours of its immensely flavourful menu. From kebabs to tagines, all one���s Middle Eastern favourites are offered by the Sahara kitchen, along with some lesser known dishes that will tempt the more adventurous diner. In particular, the restaurant���s mezzes prove popular, the sharing concept somehow suited to this kind of cuisine, particularly when accompanied by the BYO policy.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad atmosphere in the daytime”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I love this shop and have been there a couple of times but only in the evening hours.
Today when i went there in the daytime (first time) i HATED the atmosphere, waiter, value and the way we were treated.
I am a mother to a small child and even though the shop was empty apart from my table, he made my friends relocate to a different table just because i had a pram, this made me feel really unwelcome and awkward.
Although the food was still to a great standard, the treatment was appalling.
As one of us had a taster card (50% off) the man decided at the time of the bill that he will do the 2 for 1 deal which is only meant for couples.
When we decided to confront him about the issue he decided to avoid the confrontation.
I left as i did not wish to raise an argument when people were staring.

I love the food but i advise you that if you want to go, do NOT go in the daytime as the daytime management is really REALLY bad.
:-)

1 Thank mazt5

“Bad afternoon hosting.. Very bad experience although I Love night time management.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I am a regular and I have been for a while.. I was very disappointed today being rudely treated by the day time resteraunt manager, and I had invited three friends along. I love the food and I love the Arabian night time manager, but this afternoon I had the worst experience in a while. He was very unwelcoming, made us change tables when it was completely empty, intimidating on what our choices were, gave me a cheap quality "Pepsi" (whilst giving other customers canned brand ones), impatient whilst we were chasing from the menu, stared constantly during our visit and worst of all, cheated us.. I had confronted but was embarrassed as people were staring and I was making my friends uncomfortable. I love this place, as long as the host as Arabian and not European (no racism intended, I am half of both), they serve quality food! But be aware.. Atmosphere can get cold.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
“Love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been to Sahara a number of times with my wife and young kids, its one of our favourite restaurants, a real family treat. We also hosted a group of12 there downstairs after a christening for which the manager was very accomodating and flexible in terms of menu. The atmosphere on that occasion was perfect for our intimate group, the feedback from everyone about their food very positive, especially their excitement trying the various mezze options.

For a family meal or in a group I would recommend 2 dishes which I love, the mezze banquet and the shish tawouk (grilled chicken) with rice. The mezze is always excellent, the pastries and grilled halloumi bread especially, although tread carefully with the spicy potato dish which I like but is an acquired taste (theres a yogurty dish to take the edge off). The grilled chicken is as good as grilled chicken I've eaten anywhere else, aromatic rather than spicy and a perfect treat for fussy kids. For 2 adults & 3 small kids we usually go for a mezze for 1 and 2 shish tawouks. With tap water, it comes to about 35 quid inc service, well worth it for the quality and quantity of food.

If you like the food here, kambis a few doors down is also worth a try. Both do great (but interestingly different) mezzes and shish tawouks, and quality at both is consistent. I'd really struggle to pick one over the other.

Thinking about checking out Sahara? I say go for it...! Service is friendly and attentive as well.

• Visited January 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A lovely place to relax and have great tasting food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I went here with a group of friends for a general catch up and we really had a great time. The restaurant allows you to bring your own alcohol and don't charge for corkage a real bonus. The food itself is a lovely yummy fusion of middle eastern dishes, that even allowed one of the group to have a mixture of starters instead if a main course. I had a chicken dish that was served with rice and a side salad, I would say go hungry as the portion sizes are generous! The restaurant is big enough to hold bigger parties and small enough to make you feel valued. The staff were helpful and forgiving towards us as we took a while to decide what we all wanted and made the time to explain things we didn't know what they were.

“Friendly and fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have eaten here several times, as a couple, with friends and also a large family group. The food is consistently good and the staff always very friendly.

We have had the Mezze, homous, the fish special, various kebabs, the tagine. All are very good and tasty, and served efficiently.

The bonus of this restaurant is that it is BYO, and there is no corkage charge. There is also a number of shops in the vacinity for you to purchase your beverage prior to visit.

We will be returning.