“Very poor - not worth the money”
Review of Kemp Townhouse

Kemp Townhouse
Ranked #30 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Very poor - not worth the money”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed here in mid February 2014, a young couple (early 30s) and easygoing. Not normally one to write bad reviews, or reviews at all. Long story short, even now my bag and clothes smell musty like room 102.

Whilst the staff are nice, and location good, here's some reasons to avoid:

- musty smell, likely due to 'wet room' being a cubicle within the main bedroom with a broken extractor fan
- noisy: the main passageway to the 'lounge'/breakfast room is right outside the door
- no reception: had to wait outside in the rain whilst someone answered the door
- tiny bathroom: barely room to swing a cat, and water accumulates everywhere
- uncomfortable bed and pillows: pillows have no support and disappear as you lie on them... Not a great nights sleep
- overpriced: £145+ is not good value for money for the above

Room Tip: Nothing to recommend, just not room 102
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hugh D
Dear Hugh,

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback and I’m so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. In response to your comments regarding the wet room, you’re right that in these are fairly compact and we have tried to make this as clear as possible on our website through the use of photos and detailed descriptions. Having discussed your comments regarding the smell with the team, it seems that the drain in your bathroom, whilst flushed thoroughly every week, clearly became blocked hence water spilled out into the room. It also appears that the extractor fan had been turned off by a previous guest. However, both of these issues should clearly have been detected and resolved prior to your arrival so I would ask that you contact us directly so that we can provide you with some financial compensation.

Regarding your other comment about having to wait for someone to answer the front door, I can understand your frustration but as we try to explain on our website we are not a hotel, we are a small guest house and although all our guests are given access cards so they can come and go as they please, the front door is always closed for security reasons.

I would add that it is disappointing that you did not raise any concerns with the team during your stay as we would have appreciated the opportunity to put things right, such as by unblocking your drain, providing you with extra pillows or upgrading you to another room at our cost. However, as mentioned above, if you contact us directly I’ll make sure you’re compensated for your disappointment.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Czech first
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We booked the hotel on the same day as we arrived as a last minute trip to come and see our son at university. I specifically asked about the beds as I have a very bad back. They were extremely helpful. The room was just as described. The bed large and comfortable with luxurious duck down bedding. Our bathroom was a wet room which had a good effective shower. Other reviews have mentioned this as a negative but we found it absolutely fine. Attention to detail throughout the room was excellent however the towels would be better if they were bigger.
The staff were helpful and informative they also accommodated our son for breakfast. I would recommend this hotel and definitely return. Thank you.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 46Meryl_P
Paul L, Owner at Kemp Townhouse, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

A great one night stay in Kemp Townhouse. Had a lovely room on the top floor with a bath in the bedroom. Attention to detail was great down to the toiletries and the smoothie shot at breakfast. In a great location, it was only a short walk to the lanes and main town. The only thing I would suggest looking at is the quality of the pillows but saying that I would still definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul L, Owner at Kemp Townhouse, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Regarding the pillows you're right that these are a tad on the soft side so I've just ordered some firmer ones to give our guests more options. I hope you'll be back to try them if you head to Brighton again.

Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

...I could write a negative review of this hotel I would love to in order to prevent others discovering this truly extraordinarily wonderful hotel. It is 100m from the beach. The room was beautifully appointed with many nice little touches, decanter of port, real coffee, real milk available etc. with a very comfortable bed and lose-yourself-in-them towels. The breakfast was as good as any I have ever had anywhere in the world with all fresh local ingredients including home made compotes and smoothies. Really excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Go. Enjoy. We did.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Moonfishman
Paul L, Owner at Kemp Townhouse, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for writing such lovely comments. You've made the team's day!

Wishing you all the best,

Northchapel, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Fantastic for a short stay. We had two rooms and they were both perfectly fine, new clean and nice linens. Breakfast is almost worth the stay -just perfect French toast. Paul was really helpful when one of our guests needed help in the city. We will stay again.

Room Tip: No internet in the upstairs room, although it is really spacious.
Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Adriennepitman
Paul L, Owner at Kemp Townhouse, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind words and I'm sorry the wi-fi wasn't working as it should. This is now resolved and I very much hope we'll have the pleasure of seeing you again.

London
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the four poster room with bath. Very beautifully decorated, comfortable bed. Staff were very very friendly and attentive. Had breakfast in bed at no extra cost, which was delicious, best I've had in a hotel. Smooth check in and checkout, quiet place, I can go on. All in all, a wonderful stay and would definitely recommend to friends. Will be back.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kayode A
Paul L, Owner at Kemp Townhouse, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your lovely words and we very much look forward to welcoming you back!

With Best Wishes,

Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We were really pleased we found this hotel, it suited us perfectly. We chose a king room, and were upgraded to one with a four poster bed, which was lovely. All the staff were friendly and very helpful, and helped us to find a parking spot outside - where we could stay for 24hrs for £9.50. Parking in Brighton is a nightmare... The breakfasts used free range ingredients, which is important to us, and were very nicely prepared to order. There were also aNespresso m/cs in our room. My only criticism was the wet rooms, which were tiny (I saw 2). They were beautifully appointed and worked well, but I didn't like that I was almost standing on the loo to shower, and everything in the room got wet. Still, I would go back anyway.

Room Tip: For us it was worth paying the extra for a king room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul L, Owner at Kemp Townhouse, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thanks so much for your comments. Whilst the wet rooms are compact, as you found they are extremely nicely appointed and we've just upgraded our toiletries to Noble Isle which I hope you'll get the chance to enjoy next time you visit Brighton!

With Best wishes,