“Friendly Staff”
Review of Sam's of Brighton - CLOSED

Sam's of Brighton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on Paston Place in the heart of Kemp Town village, Sam's of Brighton is a stone's throw from the Brighton Pier and the Marina. Sister restaurant to Sam's of Sevendials in the heart of Brighton, this chic and elegant family-owned bistro - with an understated neutral colour scheme, wooden floors and deco-inspired lamps - is popular with a fashionable local crowd. Sam's serves classic yet creative dishes made from the finest seasonal ingredients, and the restaurant's award-winning menu features favourites such as the Shetland rope-grown mussels with spiced coconut, vanilla, and red peppers; roast rabbit loin served with soft polenta and savoy cabbage; and the rice pudding with blood orange for dessert. Sam's also has an excellent selection of both old and new world wines, many available by the glass and carafe. Sam's of Brighton was voted "Runner Up BEST UK NEWCOMER" by the Harden's Guide 2010.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We ate here on Thursday night for my Mum's birthday and the staff greeted her with birthday wishes and brought a plate with a chocolate with a candle at the end of the meal ( I had requested a dessert with birthday candles at the time of booking)
The food was fine but think my mum and husband had the best meals of steak and duck breast as they enjoyed theirs very much, but my lamb was a bit tough and my green beans were completely overwhelmed with anchovies.Not sure if we will visit again as there are so many great choices of eateries in the area.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We ate here on Thursday night 9th Jan and we had lovely food and good service,three of us had two courses the sorbet beers and wine all for £100!!! So reading the last two moaning reviews about draughts and not enough staff etc etc maybe you should try somewhere posher/more expensive and likening SAMs to McDs that's a cheap shot. The food!,we had whitebait and duck to start-lovely,my son had fillet steak and I could see how his knife just slid through it that it was so tender and perfectly cooked,my wife had the lamb,I tasted it superb and I had the fish bouride(stew)it was really good and the juice/soup was delicious. The sorbet really hit the spot as well. The service was good, maybe tables a little close together but they have to make the best of a small space,it was busy, nice atmosphere a little to bright but lovely food. Will go again soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We've booked Sam's as a special treat for New Year's Eve and were really looking forward to it, also because we had such attentive and kind help from the staff bevorehand this evening. It's sad to say, that maybe expectations were too high. We were shown to a small round table between bar and way to toilets and there was no opportunity to get another one as they were booked up in several shifts. Our waitress was really lovely and looked well after us, but still it wasn't the atmosphere we hoped for. Food was nice, but especially the main fish dish lacked in flavour, apart from too overpowering garlic; desserts then were delicious. We left with mixed feelings - the menu was far more promising than what was on the plates, atmosphere was, sorry to say, more like in a McD, on the other hand staff was so lovely. Unfortunately, I can't recommend Sam's wholehearted.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We visited this Sam’s for this first time, and overall it was a good experience. Most eateries in Brighton regard the first week of January as a bit of a graveyard – hence why so many either choose to close or promote various deals.

Sam’s is a five-minute taxi ride from Brighton centre. Perhaps in the summer, it would be worth the half hour walk along the seafront. But this was January, the rain and wind was relentless.

We booked a table for 7.30pm and the intimate eating space was already filling up. There were only two servers on duty, and no sooner had we sat down the phone was ringing off the hook. This suggested that it might be an unexpected busy night. Otherwise you would probably hire more than two on the floor (one waitress and a manager).

Anyway the welcome was warm, the table offered was near the bar server and although the table was big, a little draughty due to being so close to the stairs down to the toilets. We ordered drinks from a well-priced wine list. As we were both ordering fish for mains we opted for the Rioja Blanco. Spanish wine is still so underrated. The starters came quick enough. My better half had the white bean soup with truffle oil and chives, while I had duck breast. I won. The soup lacked seasoning and although not bad, it was taste neutral. The duck was good.

Although draughty, we had a ‘ringside seat’ to watch proceedings. There was an eclectic mix of customers. All of which seemed to be happy enough. The room became almost full and it became clear that the floor needed more than two to serve. The food was delivered via ‘dumb waiter’ and was at one point being fired out thick and fast. This tied the manager to the bar. And reduced the waitress to conversation to one syllable due to her rushing around.

Both fish mains were very nice. Decent sized portions and full of flavour. Worth trying the monkfish.

I liked the room, the food and the servers. The overall vibe was a little too rushed on the night. The two servers were engaging enough. But as the evening progressed, workload meant that perhaps the service was not as attentive as even they would have liked. That said, we will visit again. The food is worth the opportunity to see how Sam’s is when fully staffed.

The current TA ranking doesn’t do this place justice; perhaps it’s down to the relatively low number of reviews. It’s worth a trip to see for yourselves.

1  Thank Paul F
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Had a Christmas meal here last week. I need a gluten and dairy free diet so may not be the easiest to please but I left the restaurant hungry having missed out on the bread and dip and then had a starter that was tiny. The main was OK but the dessert was awful. Shame as the restaurant was recommended. A fellow diner also seemed rather under impressed. Staff were pleasant but when you are hungry you are grumpy!