“Style over substance?”
Review of My Brighton

My Brighton
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed July 22, 2014

There's no critiquing the location of this hotel- very close to the city centre, the lanes and the beach- perfect. The bar downstairs is lovely- small, but nice. My room was 'funky'- all white and orange, with a bed just floating around in the middle of the room. There was something about it that just screamed 'easyjet' though- white/orange, quite basic, minimalistic. The bathroom/shower room was like being in a cockpit of a plane- it all felt very modern. The carpark is AWFUL though- underground, tiny, with pillars that scrape the side of your car at every turn! (plus expensive, at £19 a day)- speaking of expensive, I had to pay extra for breakfast- £10- for serve-yourself cereal and cold croissants.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MonkeyFace28

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stay here! You won't be disappointed! Attention to detail is second to none! We stayed for our 11th wedding anniversary this time and could have moved in! Highly recommended! Very modern and funky yet felt so at home!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is perfect If you want a night out somewhere fun and at the heart of things. The standard room was spacious, clean and totally cool - lots of fab little design features which set it apart from your typical hotel. You dont have to go far to eat and drink. The bar downstairs is a must -very trendy and with good music.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 21, 2014

What's the definition of a hotel?
Certainly not this.! Okay so it looked quirky, but beyond that it had nothing to offer in terms of facilities. The room was beyond basic and the decor was cheap. My room overlooked a back yard full of bins that were overflowing with rubbish. After a busy day I settled down to a good nights sleep. No chance! The noise from below went on and on and on. I couldn't leave the " hotel " fast enough. When we left 2 nights earlier than intended to move hotels, they didn't even ask why! I'm guessing it's not the first time this has happened to them.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Emily F
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is like a really chic, stylish Travelodge but with so much more! The rooms are colour-coded per floor and have speakers built into the ceiling with a jack to play your own music! The bathroom is open plan but so cool. The frosted glass door didn't bother me, no different to an actual wooden door in a travelodge - just ask the person to put the TV on - or some music in the ceiling speakers! High quality bathroom freebies too.

The best bit about our stay was the bed. The most comfortable bed I've slept on. I asked the receptionist where they got the mattress and they said they would happily find out and email me! Service very good and friendly also. They even do an "express checkout" where you can just fill in a form which is popped under your door in the morning with the card and pass to reception, sorting out any extra charges later! Location convenient, right on the North Lanes shopping district and only 10 mins walk to the station. Would definitely come back and recommend!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Redfoxjo
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is a hotel with a difference and funky. Service is good and the rooms light and airy and it has free wifi. There were some little design issues with the room e.g. no light switch near the bathroom so the light had to be left on all night, but otherwise it is clean and has a different feel to the run of the mill. Has a great coffee place attached (Small Batch Coffee Co) and all the amenities on the door step.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tim M
Reviewed July 19, 2014

The MyHotel Brighton offers an interesting and unique visual look however the overall experience is let down in several areas.

The room I was allocated, 190, was initially pleasant upon entry, however this soon changed when I noticed the large orange stain on the carpet, the fact the carpet didn't even fit properly and had come away from the join with the vinyl and then there was the view.... the spectacular view of a white wall, pavement and a pair of grey doors. Not what you expect from any hotel (unless stated no view), let alone a first floor window.

This is the first hotel I have come across where they restrict the number of devices you can connect to the wifi with. I therefore had the choice of which of my three devices to connect. I thought this may not be a problem as when I had one device turned off I could use the other - sadly this did not work and I simply got an error saying the password could not be used again.
Whilst this was a minor annoyance the major annoyance came when actually trying to use the Internet. It was very reminiscent of a dial-up modem, waiting for pages to load became tiresome very quickly. I found the next day that the Internet was much better until shortly after 5pm when it quickly ground to a halt again. I can only assume that the infrastructure cannot cope with the number of guests trying to use it, with the evening being more of a peak time at the hotel. I can only assume this is why there is a restriction to the number of devices a guest can use on it, but either way this is simply not adequate enough and needs serious review. Sure enough the wifi was painfully slow again for the rest of the night.

An interesting part of any hotel stay is working out which light switches control which lights. My room had the infamous switch which appears to control nothing, then a dimmer switch which I assume was meant to control the main lights but didn't want to dim a thing.

One positive was the plug socket next to the bedside table so you can charge your phone and leave it near you over night, something many hotels lack. That said, only one of the two provided next to the bed really worked properly, the other seemed to have a mind of its own as to when it actually wanted to work.

The "tablet sized safe" is just that and should be taken literally. The in-room speakers are a nice touch, however there should really be some literature on how to use the system. As this is something I am familiar with I had no problem but to someone else having a cable with a note saying 'feel free to use me but if you want to take me home there is a charge' is a little non descriptive as to what it is for.

The workstation is not designed for doing any work, the seat area positioned under the smallest part of it.

For £130 a night at a 4* hotel which describes itself as "luxury" you do not expect these flaws. I do not see how this room can be priced at the same rate as other standard doubles when it is in fact an 'inside' room, there may as well not be a window - you get no view from it and you could not even open it as it was locked shut. If the hotel fails to get the basics right on a standard double I would not want to pay more for a superior grade of room.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo