“FUN & FUNKY STEP BACK INTO THE 60'S”
Review of My Brighton

My Brighton
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed here 1 night for a theatre show. The hotel is new and boutique styled with funky retro 60's furniture and decoration style. The hotel only offers varying rooms and there is a coffee shop attached.
The bar on a Friday night was very busy, full of the younger set enjoying themselves in the great surroundings and cocktail service. The hotel operate a strict dress code, so was not rowdy just buzzing with a good vibe.
We had a superior double. Odd shaped room with curves and egg shaped wall niche housing a colour changing led light. Nice Tech touches- very good TV though limited stations (about 6) and a 3mm MP3 AUX in socket linking to two ceiling speakers and wall mounted volume control.
OK IF YOU HAVE A LEAD!
Comfy ben and pillows though for us bed on the soft side. Quiet AC/heating
The bathroom is designed as a pod style housing WC/shower in separate enclosures and a D shaped area with basin etc. Great Mini bar if required with modern choice, mini safe.
Located within easy walking distance of all the local bars, theatres and eateries, and Royal Pavillion. 10 mins to sea front.
The reception staff (BILLIE) was very professional, helpful and attentive- a credit to My Hotels.
PARKING. Care required! There is a bookable underground car par which is minute and offers around 15 spaces for mainly small cars. It is very very tight and if you choose the wrong space for a larger car there is a risk you won't get out due to limited turning space, other cars or risk scraping a wall, pillar or drain pipe. Was £29 for day but turned out this was not 24hrs and until check out only, so was £29 for 6pm to 12pm next day. parking in Brighton is a nightmare ( we are local) there is no free city centre on street parking with most roads resident permits only. You can park out of town but would need a bus or 30 mions walk to get into hotel. NCP s are available but dear. £18 over 4 hours about £25 per day. If using for a theatre after 5.30pm you pay just £5.
In summary a realy fun stay in a nice place, good facilities, very slightly let down on presentation by some rough interior decoration skill,s but that's being picky. Was it worth £120 per night for this room, MMMMMMMMM/ difficult it IS Brighton, probably happier to pay £90 for experience.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Very modern, clean and welcoming. Bar had a great buzz and drinks not over priced. Excellent position in Central Brighton, close to the lanes and beach. Will definitely stay again. Not sure the decor is future proof though!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Great location, parking at NCP convenient and possibly cheaper than the the onsite option.
Reception helpful and responsive. Had a choice of more superior rooms on 1st or 2nd floor - went for the orange/grey 2nd floor option with view over library square.
Love the window seat and am quite happy to see and be seen watching people enjoying the sun in the square. You are visible from outside btw, in common with the people in the apartments across the street.
At first glance, the decor is sparse; white curved walls, modern white furniture with accent colour in the bedding and fascinating carpet pattern. I really liked this, with the bed in the middle of the room, the main decoration on the blind only visible when it's down, the colour change light niche. The integral sound system works well and I found myself relaxing very quickly. I noted minimal noise from surroundings, inside or out.
Complimentary items are good quality, the minibar well stocked and clearly priced, with a special offer to create a nice cocktail for £10 from two of the ingredients, saving a couple of quid and good value.
Shower was lovely, bed super comfy, towels and robes all good. Everything worked.
A minus for a cleaning detail (loo seat).
If I could afford it, I'd go for a fancy suite, to experience the full force of the design vision.

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for my sisters birthday weekend in Brighton but it was also for mine an my boyfriends first anniversary.
Our room was very basic certainly not 4 star standard more like 2 star.
I had previously contacted the hotel to say it was our anniversary and could they make it a bit special,they literally did nothing not even say anything.
I always stay in 4/5 star hotels and this was the most disappointing.
Our friends stayed in the ibis down the road for half the price if ours and it was actually nicer in theirs.
Definitely not anywhere near worth what you pay.
The in hotel restaurant (chilli pickle) was also terrible we where ill all that evening and next day from the food.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dannimarou
Reviewed March 15, 2014

It's been mentioned in every review of this hotel so it would be churlish to buck the trend - WOW this hotel is funky. Ok that's done so lets get on.

Great central location if you're going out in Brighton and a very good trendy bar in the hotel itself. The hotel has some limited parking but if this is full they offer a discount ticket for the nearby NCP, just be aware you need to drive back round the one way system. If you do get to park on site the car park entrance is before the lobby entrance on the street so be aware when you drive in.

Reception was well staffed, friendly and efficient. Our room, 287, was a decent size, and yes very very funky. The bed was nice and comfy with decent linen and a well positioned TV. Oh and they give you a DVD player so take a disc if you're likely to get bored. 287 overlooks the street and the Tesco Metro opposite. With a city centre hotel I expect views like this and having a supermarket across the street is convenient, it also has a cash point.

Good toiletries and a really well stocked mini bar, with price list, are another example of how this hotel has made an effort to make your stay a happy one. Didn't get a chance to use the coffee bar but the coffee in room was good quality.

If you want a traditional country house hotel this is not for you, if you want somewhere modern and comfortable try Myhotel.

Room Tip: Room 287 overlooks offices opposite so is nice and private at the weekend.
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed here Friday overnight as we had tickets for a concert. Had some probs initially in getting parked, so used the NCP in Church St, which the hotel offers discounted rates. Overall the hotel has a very funky, trendy feel, the cocktail bar is great although busy at times and the bar staff take a while to mix your drinks. They are very nice though when they do arrive and waiter service throughout the bar.
Hotel room was comfortable and again, funky and quirky in design. Well stocked mini bar included some unusual items. Toiletries were fragrant and again had an unusual mix of items. Shower was great, pressure and temp seemed perfect for our tastes. Bed very comfy, but I didn't like the built-in shelves on the bed for drinks or books etc. Couldn't trust myself not to knock things over in the night and the bed and shelves were low to the ground.
No problems with checkout. Would stay here again however I agree with other reviewers that the high room rate does not equate with the quality or comfort of the stay. We had a room that overlooked the hotel entrance and Tesco Express opposite, and there was some degree of noise in the morning, although not bad to disturb our sleep. We put the blind down across the window as soon as we got in the room and didn't lift it again until we left, so we could have been located anywhere!

The hotel is ideally situated in Brighton for theatres, Komedia, shopping and sightseeing, based in the heart of the North Laine eclectic street area.

Overall a good stay and if we get a discounted deal or good rate we would book here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I am rating this hotel against others that I have paid £120 for a night without breakfast. Therefore a poor rating.
Our room had a large bedroom but the shower and toilet area were just shoved in the corner, no door into the space and the door to the loo was totally glass and couldn't be sealed. I was travelling with my daughter who luckily slept through my nocturnal trips but I felt the lack of privacy.
We had room 199. A view of the bins and street. The bins were emptied loudly at 05.00 every noise could be heard from the street. Could not open the blind as the full length window would expose us to the street outside .
There is no proper hotel restaurant although the Chilli Pickle Indian restaurant next door is excellent as is the coffee shop on the ground floor.
Cocktails and drinks can be had in the bar downstairs too.

Service on our arrival was cheerful and welcoming.
I am unlikely to come back.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family