“A hotel with character”
Review of My Brighton

My Brighton
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My partner and I loved Myhotel Brighton. We got a Superior Double Room on the third floor, with panoramic windows facing the library. It was beautiful, with design (shape, colors, creativity) that is a welcomed change from bland hotel rooms. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast is well thought out : you go to the coffeeshop downstairs and can order any pastries and coffee / tea from the menu. The Indian restaurant which is part of the building, the Chilli Pickle, was also delicious. If we were to go back to Brighton, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,313)

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I live in Brighton for university at the moment, but stayed here with my mum when she came down to visit. Something different which we both loved, we stayed in a standard room which was a good size and clean, but the bed is quite short so if you're all your feet would hang over the edge. The staff very friendly and helpful. It is in a great location, close to the shops and restaurants/bars. The Merkaba Bar in the lobby seemed very popular, we didn't get a chance to try it out but definitely will do at some point. Really enjoyed our stay here but overall don't think it is worth the price it is per night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2013

If you want to be in the heart of all of the happenings in Brighton~this is the place. Excellent location is just the beginning. Myhotel has thought of everything. From the surround sound system ready for your ipod to the perfectly designed room. This is the hotel to stay at. Funky, fresh and fantastic! We couldn't have been more pleased with our choice. The staff are ready and able to please. Just ask. And if you like southern Indian cuisine, you must try the Chilli Pickle. It is attached to the hotel, but if you don't feel like going out, BONUS, they deliver. Amazing! Thank you Myhotel for a perfect five days in Brighton! We will definitely be back.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel has tried overly to be hip and in the process been found wanting. While the staff were extremely polite the room failed to meet the standard. Although the bed was of a good size there was a huge gap between the mattress and the headboard meaning that pillows constantly fell between, making for a restless night. Furthermore, our room appeared to be adjacent to a staff quarters meaning that throughout the night we heard loud conversations and noises. The breakfast which the website deemed 'continental' was nothing more than a choice between a few pastries and a small breakfast roll. We could have granola but that was all that was on offer. We were charged £10 each per day for breakfast despite the fact we could have got a measly sandwich and a cup of coffee elsewhere for much cheaper.

2  Thank Castleyess
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel is located right in the middle of town, the restaurants everywhere which is really cool. Emily the receptionist was sweet like pie, Room was clean and the shower was good too "most important things for me. The Misses and the I loved the hotel, the room was well funky felt like i was in 70's which was really cool.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I love staying in hotels, really, I do.
I was quite pleased when I booked into the myHotel Brighton for a trip and a visit for a friends Birthday.

I arrived late on the Friday evening (about 8) and promptly checked in after being shown to the reception desk by a bouncer(!). I could barely here what the receptionist was saying while I was checking in due to the din coming from the nightclub which had spilled out into the lobby area. Not a great start.

When booking I'd specifically asked for a quiet room. As it turned out I was in the bounciest most rocking room in the building! Not ideal when I also had to work for a while in the evenings.

When given two separate opportunities to fix my issues unfortunately hotel staff failed. What I really needed was a cancel and rebook into other accommodation. As on this weekend it wasn't and was never going to be suitable for my needs. Something the hotel staff should've known from the beginning.

This COULD be a 5* hotel. As it is I wouldn't give it 2. No room service and poor to mediocre service from all members of staff. Really not good enough.

Holiday Inn on the seafront for me next time I think!

Room Tip: All the more superior double rooms face onto festival square. Be sure to check any events scheduled...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan S
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We happened to book into the MyHotel on a Brighton Fringe weekend, a festival we knew nothing about and which the hotel didn’t mention once during the booking process. This hotel is located on one of the busiest streets during this festival and was adjacent to a music stage that our room overlooked.

The first thing you see on entering the hotel reception area on a Friday night is a noisy bar with loud music. The reception desk is the steel blob on the right just before the entrance to the bar. We struggled to hear anything the receptionist was saying and were pretty worried it would be too noisy in the rooms to get a night’s sleep but reception staff that night were polite and helpful and gave us complimentary earplugs just in case. When we first arrived at the room, the key card didn’t work. Apparently it takes a few minutes before the card readers on the doors will accept a newly issued key card.

The poor first impressions are exacerbated by the fact that the design of the rooms is quite stark and cold, a take on 1960s modernism with whitewashed walls, fittings a mixture of brushed steel and bright orange plastic and a single blind with a big kaleidoscope print in the middle. The room had an open plan bathroom and sleeping area with the toilet separated off by a translucent glass door. You get used to it but, after the shock of the reception experience, all you want to do on seeing the room is to find another hotel and get out.

Later in the evening, on returning to the hotel after a night out, we were intercepted in the reception area by a bouncer who challenged us with, “You stayin’ ‘ere?” Don’t expect to feel welcome at this hotel.

In the morning, we couldn’t find any information about breakfast times and hadn’t been told what time breakfast would be served until. When we mentioned this to a member of staff in the morning, we got a very frosty response by a member of staff who then gave us incorrect breakfast times – it seems like MyHotel has a staff training issue here. Thankfully, the staff in the café were lovely and didn’t mind that we’d arrived after last breakfast orders.

Breakfast is served in the adjoining café. It has a limited choice of warm rolls and pastries but the food is good, the coffee’s good, the staff were friendly and it’s a nice place to sit and have breakfast.

The good:
- They’ve made an effort to come up with a bold design for the hotel and rooms
- They provide complimentary Internet access, albeit restricted to one login per device and slower than 3G.
- It’s clean and the beds are comfortable

The bad:
- It’s far too expensive
- There was mention of the Brighton Fringe festival when booking
- There’s a noisy bar behind the reception area
- Expect to be challenged by bouncers when returning to the hotel at night
- Some of the staff are a bit rude
- No room service for breakfast
- The shower had poor temperature control, fluctuating between hot and cold
- Key cards don’t activate in time for arrival at the room
- One member of staff was quite frosty

There are a couple of naïve design errors that badly damage the guest’s experience, such as the positioning of the bar and absence of room service. The staff are variable and a hotel guest shouldn’t ever greeted by a bouncer. The frustrating thing is that all these problems could be fixed fairly easily.

In summary, this hotel doesn’t deserve a four star rating as it stands and £200 per night is ludicrous for the offering. If you like a party and want to stay somewhere unconventional then you’ll probably like it a lot. If you want a welcoming and low-stress hotel experience, go to the Grand instead: the Grand isn’t perfect but it’s in a different league and is in the same price bracket.

3  Thank Mike C