My Brighton
Hotel du Vin(Brighton)
$121
$115
  • Restaurant
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$82
Hotel Una(Brighton)
$159
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$113
Hotels.com
$127
$123
2,346 results
All reviewscocktail barchilli pickletoilet dooropen plan bathroomfrosted glass doorcarousel roomcurved wallsfunky hoteltesco expresssuperior roomcar parkthe penthousehotel barnorth lainesteam roomcentral locationdvd player
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I love staying in hotels, really, I do.
I was quite pleased when I booked into the myHotel Brighton for a trip and a visit for a friends Birthday.

I arrived late on the Friday evening (about 8) and promptly checked in after being shown to the reception desk by a bouncer(!). I could barely here what the receptionist was saying while I was checking in due to the din coming from the nightclub which had spilled out into the lobby area. Not a great start.

When booking I'd specifically asked for a quiet room. As it turned out I was in the bounciest most rocking room in the building! Not ideal when I also had to work for a while in the evenings.

When given two separate opportunities to fix my issues unfortunately hotel staff failed. What I really needed was a cancel and rebook into other accommodation. As on this weekend it wasn't and was never going to be suitable for my needs. Something the hotel staff should've known from the beginning.

This COULD be a 5* hotel. As it is I wouldn't give it 2. No room service and poor to mediocre service from all members of staff. Really not good enough.

Holiday Inn on the seafront for me next time I think!

Room Tip: All the more superior double rooms face onto festival square. Be sure to check any events scheduled with your stay are compatible with your sleep requirements.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan S
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We happened to book into the MyHotel on a Brighton Fringe weekend, a festival we knew nothing about and which the hotel didn’t mention once during the booking process. This hotel is located on one of the busiest streets during this festival and was adjacent to a music stage that our room overlooked.

The first thing you see on entering the hotel reception area on a Friday night is a noisy bar with loud music. The reception desk is the steel blob on the right just before the entrance to the bar. We struggled to hear anything the receptionist was saying and were pretty worried it would be too noisy in the rooms to get a night’s sleep but reception staff that night were polite and helpful and gave us complimentary earplugs just in case. When we first arrived at the room, the key card didn’t work. Apparently it takes a few minutes before the card readers on the doors will accept a newly issued key card.

The poor first impressions are exacerbated by the fact that the design of the rooms is quite stark and cold, a take on 1960s modernism with whitewashed walls, fittings a mixture of brushed steel and bright orange plastic and a single blind with a big kaleidoscope print in the middle. The room had an open plan bathroom and sleeping area with the toilet separated off by a translucent glass door. You get used to it but, after the shock of the reception experience, all you want to do on seeing the room is to find another hotel and get out.

Later in the evening, on returning to the hotel after a night out, we were intercepted in the reception area by a bouncer who challenged us with, “You stayin’ ‘ere?” Don’t expect to feel welcome at this hotel.

In the morning, we couldn’t find any information about breakfast times and hadn’t been told what time breakfast would be served until. When we mentioned this to a member of staff in the morning, we got a very frosty response by a member of staff who then gave us incorrect breakfast times – it seems like MyHotel has a staff training issue here. Thankfully, the staff in the café were lovely and didn’t mind that we’d arrived after last breakfast orders.

Breakfast is served in the adjoining café. It has a limited choice of warm rolls and pastries but the food is good, the coffee’s good, the staff were friendly and it’s a nice place to sit and have breakfast.

The good:
- They’ve made an effort to come up with a bold design for the hotel and rooms
- They provide complimentary Internet access, albeit restricted to one login per device and slower than 3G.
- It’s clean and the beds are comfortable

The bad:
- It’s far too expensive
- There was mention of the Brighton Fringe festival when booking
- There’s a noisy bar behind the reception area
- Expect to be challenged by bouncers when returning to the hotel at night
- Some of the staff are a bit rude
- No room service for breakfast
- The shower had poor temperature control, fluctuating between hot and cold
- Key cards don’t activate in time for arrival at the room
- One member of staff was quite frosty

There are a couple of naïve design errors that badly damage the guest’s experience, such as the positioning of the bar and absence of room service. The staff are variable and a hotel guest shouldn’t ever greeted by a bouncer. The frustrating thing is that all these problems could be fixed fairly easily.

In summary, this hotel doesn’t deserve a four star rating as it stands and £200 per night is ludicrous for the offering. If you like a party and want to stay somewhere unconventional then you’ll probably like it a lot. If you want a welcoming and low-stress hotel experience, go to the Grand instead: the Grand isn’t perfect but it’s in a different league and is in the same price bracket.

3  Thank Mike C
Reviewed May 16, 2013

A year ago we stayed at this lovely hotel on our wedding day and yesterday we came back to celebrate our first anniversary. Words are not enough to describe how amazingly beautiful, unique and sophisticated this hotel is. The room we stayed in was very modern, clean, spacious and comfortable. Staff were as always incredibly polite, helpful and pleasant especially Freddy, Emily and Harry. This is one of the best, up -to -date and fun hotels in Brighton! Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we have!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night, and had a mixed experience. Granted, the general standard of hotels in Brighton is pretty terrible, so it doesn't surprise me that lots of reviews call this the 'best hotel', but they do seem to have put some effort into making it a bit more individual.

The welcome we got from the front desk was very enthusiastic and polite, and the check in procedure was very straight forward.

However, a lot of it was style over substance. For example, the bed looked quirky and interesting, but had a huge gap at the bottom of the headboard. Result: waking up 5 times in the night to fish the pillows out of the gap and off the floor!
The bathroom also looked great, with mosaic tiles and nice toiletries. But there was no shelf or anywhere to push things.

We had intended to go to the bar, but when we got there, it was full of trashy hen parties, so we decided against it. Later on, we saw the some members of the hen party having to be carried out through reception, so maybe time to rethink the door policy if they want to keep some sort of reputation as a cool place to have a drink?

1  Thank Cat_Ar
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was not really sure of what to expect. The hotel is a bit hidden (discrete) but the lobby is nice. Front desk staff are very professional and courteous. I had a room on the 2nd floor, above the Indian restaurant. You could smell the food (faintly) in the corridor. My room overlooked the library, which meant if my shades were open, then anyone outside could see right in, so I kept the shades closed all day (I like my privacy).

The room is well appointed. I had a wardrobe, mini bar, plasma TV screen, free WiFi and a decent bathroom. The toiletries are of a very good quality (smell and feel great). Yes the bathroom floor is shocking pink, as is the glass shower door, it all adds to the charm of the hotel.

I found service to be excellent.

Breakfast is served in the Small Batch Coffee shop downstairs. You have to queue up to place any orders inc. coffee, which at times took up to 10 minutes as the staff were busy with hotel guests and outside customers. Choice was cereal, boxed juice and pastries. Plus a hot breakfast roll. All very good quality, and as much barrista coffee as you would want (just have to queue up each time). All seating is on bar stools are communal tables.

The location is fantastic. The Laines are at your doorstop, and a 24 hr Tesco across the road.

Really enjoyed my stay at MyHotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business