“Good Experience”

Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Good Experience”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My Husband and I stayed here for 1 night. When we arrived we paid £15 to park our car in their car park which we thought was reasonable as car parking is limited and expensive. Hotel receptionist was very friendly and offered up an upgrade to a superior room for an additional £15 which we accepted,m she also gave us a connection cable to plug into our ipods to play sound surround music. We were given a choice of floor and each floor has a colour theme. We choose the 3rd floor which was blue and lime. Room was very nice and the bed very comfortable. We were street side and we did not hear a thing even though a food festival was taking place the next day. The only think that I feel was missing from the room was a couple of comfortable chairs as there were only canteen style chairs to sit on. I would recommend the hotel for a couple of night stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

This place advertises itself as a 4 star hotel but it hasn't a proper in house restaurant, nor a proper breakfast room, nor the possibility of ordering breakfast in bed.
The good point is the lovely and unusual room. Couldn't fault it's wonderful 60s/70s inspired decor. The bad points are 1. The in house restaurant advertised as such on the website isn't even accessible from the hotel. We had to go out in the freezing cold to get there. When we arrived we were told they were fully booked. We said but we are hotel residents. We're nothing whatsoever to do with the hotel, they said! Very unimpressed. I'd have never booked into a hotel without an in house restaurant. Weirdly we were able to order the restaurant food as room service, so that's what we did. 2. The breakfast room turned out to be an upmarket version of a Starbucks type cafe! Hmmm, not at all what you expect from a high class hotel. You had to queue with non-residents to order. No waiter service. No full English breakfast. 3. There was no chance to order breakfast in bed. I had to go down to the cafe and get takeaway coffees and a croissant and bring them back to the room.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank LFKUk
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked a last minute trip to Brighton and got a deal with a room for two nights including continental breakfast. We also booked a car parking space for the duration of our visit and paid a minimal deposit on the myhotel website. After reading previous reviews I sent a confirmation email regarding the car parking to the Brighton email address, a few hours later I received an email saying we had not booked the facility and there were no spaces available. This was frustrating as I had a copy of our order, however they did recommend the use of the NCP car park a street away. We discussed this and as it was last minute we kept the booking and would not seek a different hotel with parking facilities.

On arrival I asked for the discount voucher for the parking only to realise afterwards it was a pay as you leave scheme, however as it was early about 11.30am (check in at 2pm) I asked if we were able to check in early, they happily accommodated us and offered us a floor and colour choice, opting for the third floor away from the busy street outside (restaurants, Tesco and a cafe). Check in was quick and simple and we were asked to pay for the full amount of the booking. Staff were welcoming and took time to recommend various things to do and where to eat, even writing this on a map.

The room was small, and was decorated in a sci fi modern theme. It was fine to put your head down but not for spending much time in. It was very clean and had daily maid service available.
Bathroom was odd and it was definitely more of a single person, couples bathroom as the shower you could see from the bedroom area and the toilet had a frosted glass door so you could see through this. Shower was good and powerful and again very clean.
Only downside to the room was the lack of storage space, there were no draws, shelves, wardrobes, and only 6 hangers on a mirror. Luckily we were only there for two nights so actually didn't unpack our suitcase but would of been annoying if had stayed for longer.

Location was perfect, right in the middle of the lanes and within reasonable walking distance of all of Brighton's main attractions.

Recommendations: We stumbled across The Courtyard restaurant and would go back there for the fresh delicious food, the lanes are enjoyable and a rabbit warren for all things gold and vintage!! Of course go to choccywoccydoodah to look at their fabulous wet changing widow display!

After going during a quieter colder season we would like to go back drink the hustle and bustle of summer!

• Stayed March 2013
peterborough
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my husband as a weekend break at the end of hubby's business trip in the city.
We'd booked a 'More Superior' room but upon arrival a couple of the suites were still available so we were able to upgrade to the Jade suite for a fraction of what it would have cost. And oh my gosh was it worth it?! The suite was just stunning! It's a corner room with full length windows for panoramic views (albeit of the surrounding streets and nearby offices), the bed is round (seriously!) and soft as a cloud, the TV is large, flatscreen, and has Sky TV. There are intergrated ceiling speakers with iPod connectivity for great surrround-sound. Best of all is the bathroom, or bath area as I suppose it is because it's sectioned off by a curtain rather than a wall. There is a massive freestanding feature bath in the middle of the room, a double-sized walk-in shower with a rainforest spray, and the toilet is sectioned off by a frosted glass door and motion sensored lighting, which is quite entertaining. And the robes and slippers are a nice touch. It's definitely a couple's room rather than a weekend away with the girls/lads.
The bar on the ground floor is very swish, but has prices to match. A pint of beer and a JD and coke cost over £11. We declined a second round! The hotel seems to be affiliated with the Chilli Pickle restaurant next door, but don't think that this guarantees you a table. We went there on the Friday night after arriving and was told they were fully booked (though most tables looked empty to me!) and when we tried booking for the next night they said that Saturday night was already fully booked too. Luckily there are several other restaurants nearby, but this was a bit disappointing because it looked so nice.
If there was one tiny criticism of the hotel it would be that we were given no notice of the entertainment going on in the plaza outside. On the Saturday there was a large and loud day-long promo going on for a popular energy drinks brand, and the promo featured an obnoxious DJ pumping out drum and base tracks on decks all day long. So we were all but forced from the room from 9am-5pm.
That aside though, would I visit this hotel again? You betcha!

Room Tip: It is totally worth upgrading if yo uare able. But the rooms facing away from the plaza might be a...
Southampton
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed in a standard double room for one night and didn't really have any problems. The hotel is very stylish - Star Trek goes to India. The receptionist was very friendly, offering us a choice of colour-schemed rooms. On getting to our room we were a little surprised at what we found. The room was quite small. Corners are eschewed in favour of curves. The walls and ceiling were brilliant white with a shocking pink (our choice) plastic floor. The window looked out onto a bare white wall, so no view at all, which was a bit disappointing. Rather oddly, the WC had a glass door, so you were in full view if using the toilet. The shower was excellent and washing facilities perfectly satisfactory. Overall we found it amusingly stylish but a little too small. There were no chairs but the standard-sized double bed was very comfortable. There were tea and coffee-making facilities, a DVD player, a safe, Freeview TV, a hair drier and a few toiletries. Everything was very clean. All in all perfectly satisfactory although starting to get just slightly shabby and somewhat over-priced.

Some friends were also staying and had a larger (more expensive) room which would have been much better if staying for more than 1 night (it had chairs!). They had also been given a cable to plug their iPod into the built-in speaker system. We found the same system in our room but were not offered a cable.

Downstairs, the bar is well-designed and drinks highly-priced, catering for people younger than us. One warning: breakfast is awful, just don't bother. The only facility is the coffee shop next to reception, which is also open to the public. There was a good choice of coffees and tea but my coffee was hardly warm. Food-wise there were a few pastries and an upmarket cheese roll available, as well as a muesli bar. If I paid cash for my breakfast it would have been under £6 but we'd each paid £10 ahead. Seating is poor and it was over-crowded. I would advise not purchasing breakfast in advance. Pop your head into the coffee bar in the morning and see what you think. You can still pay cash if you want to but you'd be better going into one of the scores of cafes and coffee bars nearby.

All in all it was acceptable. We would go back but are more likely to choose another hotel. We were pleased that we were only staying one night as the room was too small for longer.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are a bit on the small side. Go for a larger one if you can afford it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Newhaven
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We wanted to stay at Hotel du Vin, but unfortunately they were full, so we booked a room here. We've stayed a couple of times before, and have good memories of the place. It's a very funky spot in North Laine, with a great cocktail bar. Our room was huge, with lots of lovely touches. So, why have I only rated myHotel Brighton as 'average'? One - the blinds let in a lot of light, so I was awake from very early, which wasn't appreciated after a late finish the night before; Two - the wash basin area was far too small and our sink had several cracks and chips in it. Three - I don't like the fact that the toilet doesn't feel very private. Four - I think the rooms are over-priced, even though I think we got a last minute deal.

London
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had high hopes for this hotel, we were in brighton for one night and having looked at was on offer thought the my hotel was in a great spot and a bit retro, it looked like the rooms were well designed. We booked the superior room at £160, not incl breakfast.

The hotel is in the lanes, very modern building, we checked in quickly, our room overlooked the Main Street to the front and tesco opposite, yes there were floor to ceiling windows with the (small) chaise seating but didn't get the point of this when that was the view! Pulled the blind down quite quickly, room was a decent size but on reflection wouldn't bother to pay for superior room as only superiority was more space, not the furnishings or luxuries within and just not necessary as you don't spend that much time in the room. We felt the room was cheaply furnished, it should have been better at that price, there were stains on the bedspread, the desk was cheap, the bathroom was tiny, a little sink which opened onto main room, separate shower stall, and glass door to toilet which was thin with couple inches gap at bottom and top, stayed in many rooms where there are open plan bathrooms with seperate toilet, but with this one you could hear everything! Not romantic at all!

The room is fitted with a sound system which is good but we got a complaint when we got back at night about the music, if you are going to put an integrated sound system in the room (speakers mounted in ceiling) then at least soundproof the rooms, fair enough it was late but why put the system in if guests can't use it when they like? Check out on Sunday morning was 12noon, a decent time but unfortunately, despite the privacy size being on the door, someone came into our room, without knocking, quite early, not impressed!

On checking out I did mention his had happened but felt we were given a reluctant apology. Not really good enough. In all we would not stay again, we were overall dissapointed in the reality of the room from the expectation given on the website. Best point was the bar and the great cocktails.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo