“Really good, interesting fresh food and good service”
Review of Murasaki

Murasaki
Ranked #464 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2012

It was our first visit to murasaki and we'll be going ack. The food was really interesting for novice Japanese eaters, like ourselves and the waitress helpful, recommending really nice dishes. We particularly liked the incredibly fresh salmon sashimi, the pumpkin fritters, the octopus, endemne beans & the miso soup. Very reasonably priced and good fast service. They bring the foldout n takes which means you have one to taste hot food at your own pace. Lovely. It was my husbands birthday and he loved it.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I've been a regular at Murasaki since it opened in 2004. When it first opened it was incredibly cheap. The prices have crept up to the point where it is now definitely more restaurant than café.
It has always been inconsistent. When it's good it's very good but when it's poor, it really sucks.
Last night started well. Our platter of nigiri had generous-sized pieces of fish (each between £1.75 and £2.00) which tasted fresh (I'm pretty sure I've been served frozen here before) and the homemade wasabi is so much better than the from-a-tub wasabi you frequently find in other restaurants. Good start.
The Japanese pickles are always great. But you can buy them in oriental supermarkets. The price has doubled (to £3.30) since our last visit, the portion halved. Disappointing.
A starter of scallops with asparagus was dire. Three overly-big scallops with corals on (personal dislike) and four 2-centimetre slices of asparagus and assorted mushrooms. Unpleasant.
Our mains were BBQ mackerel served overcooked in a bitter, burnt teriyaki sauce and a chicken nambam (a dish we've had many times before) that tasted like KFC with teriyaki on top (not how we've had it before).
We complained about our mains but the waitress didn't offer to refund the bill, or offer us complimentary drinks. She looked like we were nuts to dare criticise.
The service was better on the whole than it has been, there was a particularly surly waitress some time back. But we had to wait an unacceptably long time for the bill.
My advice to Murasaki would be to DRASTICALLY trim the menu. There are pages and pages of dishes, plus a specials page and an additional specials blackboard. Because of the "tapas"-style menu, the wait staff are forever going in and out of the kitchen getting bitty plate after bitty plate, leaving no one in the restaurant to oversee the bar and the tables. I saw several tables with credit cards-on-bills going ignored.
I know that the kitchen can produce excellent food. But it needs to do so consistently if I'm to return.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I love this place, the service is always excellent (if a tiny bit slow at times) and the food is outstanding. There is a good variety of dishes, especially for vegatarians, and it all comes out at different times, which ensures you are not overwhelmed. The horenso spinach and aubergine miso yaki are probably my favourite. I have visited over 5 times and always had an extremely positive experience.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Good food. Service very poor. We had to keep clearing our own table, staff didn't seem to care. Asked for spoons to go with the coffee and they brought one between five people! We had to go in search of our own coats when we left, nobody offered to go fetch them for us. Staff very unprofessional and we will not be returning

Reviewed March 28, 2012

The best Japanese restaurant in Brighton, hands down. Staff are welcoming and happy to accommodate special requests and put up with a large group of us ordering dishes randomly. Always top quality ingredients and always feel got great value for money