“great atmosphere.... food lacking”
Review of Shakespeare's Head

Shakespeare's Head
Ranked #221 of 1,139 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“great atmosphere.... food lacking”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I love this pub I love the feel of this pub, I love the 'select your own bangers and mash menu' unfortunately the food has definitely slipped down a few notches, ridiculous mountains of mash in an enormous pool of gravy (and that's coming from a Northener). it was all too hot like microwave hot and the mustard mash massively over mustarded.

do better Shakespeare's head. we expect more from our lovely local.

• Visited August 2013

“Banger & mash”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had a nice time last April attending a birthday party held at the Shakespeare's Head. The pub specialised on bangers & mash in all variations. First I was not sure if I would fancy this kind of food. I was surprised and loved the food. They offered a variety of meat and vegetarian sausages with different types of mash and gravies to choose from. Unfortunately one of my friends could not eat the food due to a food intolerance. The pub was especially forthcoming and helpful as they cooked and served some food my friend brought himself. He was not treated different to any other person but was not charged for the extra inconvenience.
The event room was separate to the rest of the pub and our group could benefit from a private birthday party.

• Visited April 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Relaxed, quirky and classic pub grub”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

There's a great selection of ales here with such a friendly atmosphere. The menu isn't huge but is done well particularly if you enjoy sausage and mash! I go here for a cosy corner to have a relaxed pint and maybe play some games with friends. Scrabble anyone?

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Lovely cosy pub with a sausage and mash extravaganza”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I love this pub, it's warm and cosy with candles on the tables, a good atmosphere and friendly staff. It's near the station too so I like going here on a cold night after the commute! You can lose many hours in a dark corner with a red wine or two. The sausage and mash menu is really fantastic, so many different types of sausage! You choose your sausage (I had Toulouse), your mash (garlic and herb) and gravy (red wine). There are loads to mix and match from and they're really tasty. Can't recommend enough!

• Visited March 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great food, lovely staff & dog friendly place to eat in Brighton”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had been to the Shakespeare's Head before, but only for drinks. Yesterday I took my mother (and her ratty dog) and girlfriend for a bite of lunch. The menu offers something like 14 types of sausage, 10 types of mash potato and 5 types of gravy.

I chose Venison Sausages on Horseradish mash potato and a mustardy gravy (can't remember exactly what it was called).

The food was excellent and filling, I particularly loved the horseradish mash. The bill for all 3 of us including drinks came to just over £30 (admittedly we all had lime and soda, nursing a hangover).

Would definitely recommend to anyone after some good food in a pub with a great atmosphere, and will visit again myself.

• Visited February 2013