“Slight let down”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Me and my partner have recently started trying sushi - not something we dared to try before - and i have to say really love it. We're easing ourselves in and so were recommended by friends to eat here and mix and match and select what you want to try.
We had never been before to a yo! sushi restaurant and so weren't really sure of the general process of ordering. We were shown to our seats, given some menus and then pretty much left alone to figure it out - nothing was explained!! Through watching others eating and examining the menu we figured out the colour coordinated dishes within price brackets and that you essentially help yourself and pick it up off the conveyor belt as it goes past.
However, it was so hard sometimes to tell which dish was which just by looking and had to take a few off have a good look and then kind of put it back if it wasn't what we were looking for as nothing was labelled just coloured to represent the price. We ended up waiting for ages for the dish we wanted to go past and the staff weren't very helpful.
The food was good, it was very nice but we didn't get to try everything we wanted!
We ordered some hot dishes as well as these were made to order but when we asked for cutlery (wooden chopsticks weren't cutting it with noodles and to cut up chicken - sorry if we're amateurs!) they said they had none and we'd have to use these flat wooden chopstick-like things which i can only desribe as the wooden stick doctors used to stick in your throat and ask you to say ahhh.
We asked for the bill but was told we had to go and pay at a desk they couldn't bring it over, which ruins the restaurant atmosphere a bit, especially as there was very little service which i feel plays an important part in eating out. The food was good, but i would not return here again. Staff were unhelpful and seemed like they just could not be bothered. There are a few other sushi places in Brighton and i will be trying every single one before i consider going back here again.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been eating at Yo Sushi for a number of years and have been satisfied with what they have on offer (note that I say 'satisfied' as I am originally from Vancouver where sushi grows on trees!). My last trip to the Brighton restuarant will likely be my last as I have some serious concerns about their slipping standards.

First to start with the positives:
1. Some of the hot-food and made to order items are okay;
2. The hand wraps are usually quite good.

Now the negatives (based on my recent visit):
1. The food is consistently over-priced for the portions and be prepared for an expensive dining experience;
2. Air conditioning system was dripping all over the restaurant and into our food;
3. The water on-tap (i.e. carbonated water at your table that you pay for) was not carbonated, nor was it cold;
4. Tempura was raw in the middle rendering it inedible;
5. The place is dirty and tables were left dirty for quite some time;
6. Staff seemed more interested in chatting with each other than serving customers (even when the call bell was ringing);
7. The tap water tasted like plastic as it had been sitting in the fridge for too long;
8. The sushi was mediocre at best;
9. The staff seemed completely disinterested in making this an enjoyable experience.

Until Yo shuts this place down, re-trains their staff, cleans the place thoroughly, and fixes the water taps & air conditioning leaks...avoid.

1  Thank Gregster_r
Reviewed August 27, 2013

im a creature of habit, arent we all! but yo sushi has made me see the light on sushi at last! all of their food is fresh and tastes divine! low calorie hand wraps are my definate favorite and if i could i would eat there everyday!
well worth the price, lovely staff, no complaints at all!!!!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Portions are very small and poor for the price. Price of water is displayed in too little fonts (I thought that it was for free), and however water was warm. After the meal I told the staff about that and they should have done a discount (not charge me the water, for example) but they didn't. Taste of food was not a surprise at all (poor) and the flavor of Beef Tataki was simply horrible. The spoon served with the miso soup still had a piece of barcode's adhesive label (I noticed it after, when it was already melting into the soup). The hot food seems to be pre-cooked (the cook took a plastic bag with the noodles in front of me) and sushi is too dry (doesn't have a fresh look).

Reviewed July 29, 2013

4 of us went for a bite to eat here on Saturday before going to the theatre. The staff were very helpful with the exception of the airconditioning dripping on me on and off. Tempora Crab and fried squid were lovely. Like the laid back atmosphere and style but not very suitable for an intimate evening.