“Superb experience”

English's of Brighton
Ranked #41 of 1,124 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Somerset
“Superb experience”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We last visited this restaurant over 20 years ago and I'm happy to say that the food and service was just as we remembered. The food is second to none that we have sampled throughout our travels around the world, and the service is just perfect - Well Done

• Visited August 2013
Englishs, Manager at English's of Brighton, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear crossmans
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time at English’s of Brighton and please don’t leave it another 20 years before your next visit.

• Korean first
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food, atmosphere and location.”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We booked on bank holiday Monday at 6.30 and obtained a table for 8.30.
Good service and excellent food. We started with glass of champagne, shared some mussels and then had lobster. The lobster was a trifle small but excellent quality and delicious.

We sat outside in the square on a lovely warm evening.

I'd recommend this place highly and look forward to returning.

Visited August 2013
Dear Julian P
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback – I am so pleased you enjoyed your time at English’s of Brighton.

Croydon, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We hadn't booked but got in anyway.
We went for an evening meal and the restaurant was full.
Because of the seating arrangements there is a more friendly all eating together feel about it.
The food was superb in all ways and the house white was better than some restaurants highly priced offerings....we ordered a second carafe.
Service was all we could have desired and the pauses were well placed for us to digest the first course before the second, this is unusual these days. This was one of four restaurants we tried in Brighton and certainly up ther with the best.

Dear Allan_Turner
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review. I am very glad you enjoyed your time at English’s of Brighton and hope to welcome you soon again when you are next in town.
Robina, Australia
“Very nice restaurant”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Nice restaurant, good and fresh food. Perfect location and very professional staff. We had Caesar salade, linguine with vines tomato and capers and fish pie. Very very tasty food. 2 course for 24£. You must visit this restaurant if you are in town.

Dear Mariodambrosio

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is always a pleasure to get such positive feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

France
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I took my parents and my husband here for dinner in January (as part of my Christmas present to them). I'd been with my husband and in-laws a while back and really enjoyed it, but I didn't feel the same after this visit. The restaurant was completely empty, which wasn't their fault, but it felt really odd to be the only table in there, and it was absolutely freezing. We ordered from the classics menu - I think it was £25 for two courses. The main was really disappointing - Dover sole cooked with a cream sauce which tasted very much like cheese and wasn't what we were expecting. The side orders of vegetables were ridiculously expensive, and unfortunately necessary as the fish came only with potatoes, nothing else. It was just bland and heavy. All in all, a really disappointing experience made worse by the 12.5% service charge (we had one bottle of wine between us as two of us were driving) which brought the bill to a whopping £154.
I can't say that it was money well spent. I almost cried when I got the bill.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Cupcake1972
Dear Cupcake 1972
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not have a positive experience. I am sorry we did not have the opportunity to rectify the issues regarding the quality of your food as the dish you described is a very popular and well liked dish. We are very focused on quality product and service, and we strive to ensure every customer leaves happy. I am very sorry that is not what you experienced on this occasion and hope that you give us another try.