“Superb food and really friendly service!”

English's of Brighton
Ranked #40 of 1,154 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Superb food and really friendly service!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My fiancé and I had dinner here during a weekend break in Brighton. We reserved a week or so before our stay and it was well worth going to the hassle. As it was a beautiful evening, we sat outside and watched the hustle and bustle of the square and listened to a rather good guitarist/singer who played there. Wonderful background music! We had oysters (wonderful and really rather cheap!) and for mains fish & chips (or rather 'whale and chips' as the fish was on the massive side) and delicious fillets of sea bream with pan fried gnocchi with chorizo and gremolata. Yummy. One of the best meals I have eaten in a long, long time.

It's true that it's not cheap, but in our case, with a shared starter and a main course each plus only an aperitif and then water, it came to around £60, which is actually good value for money. We didn't try desserts, but they looked fantastic when they were carried past us, so next time we shall leave room for them!

And in case you are impressed by such things, we sat next to comedian David Walliams, which was kind of cool ;-)

• Visited June 2013
Englishs, Manager at English's of Brighton, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Remember14
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review, it really is greatly appreciated. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time at English's of Brighton and hope to see you soon again.

• Korean first
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Our long awaited trip to English's DID NOT disappoint :)”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I came here today on a beautiful sunny Saturday to have lunch, after months of promising ourselves we would try the seafood platter (not cheap at £42 per person but looks so delicious we had to try it, just once)....all I can say is, MY WORD!

We were seated immediately by a friendly and relaxed waiter who asked us if we wanted outside or inside...we of course chose outside...comfortable seats, good sized tables and parasol shading us from the sun. Swift and courteous service by the waiter.

Our seafood platter took about 20 minutes but was well worth the wait! A whole lobster, a whole crab, mountains of tiger prawns, rock oysters and clams nestled amongst salmon and mussels, all beautifully presented with salad and lemon along with the most delicious bread I've ever tasted meant that we were absolutely stuffed after we'd tackled it! We ate our amazing lunch whilst sat in the shade, listening to the live jazz band next door and watching the world go by, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! after we'd finished we went to the beach (only 5 minutes walk away) and sunbathed whilst letting our wonderful lunch go down!

I have lived in Brighton my entire life and this is the first time I've ever visited this superb restaurant. It entirely deserves its glowing reputation and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. A lovely experience from start to finish.

Dear Saill28
We are so pleased to have been part of such a positive day for you! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and now you've been once please don't leave it too long for your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
“Seafood at its best”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Friend's took us to Brighton for the day and we had lunch at English's. It was a lovely day so we sat outside, listened to an amazing jazz band and singer who I am told play regularly in the square and provided outstanding backgroung music

The service and attention was excellent, despite the restaurant being flat out, the food was outstanding and the bill for four,not cheap but very good value for what we consumed.

What better way than to spend a sunny lunchtime in a perfect setting at a great dining spot.

Dear Ray R
We are so pleased you enjoyed your time at English's of Brighton and are very grateful you've taken the time to leave us such a positive review. Your comments have been shared with the team.
We hope to see you soon again.
New York City, New York
“Wonderful food and excellent service”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We just finished a Inn-to-Inn hiking trip and came to Brighton for a business related meeting. My dining expectations were tempered by experiences at towns similar to Brighton, that is beach towns that were heavy on fish and chips but light on FISH. So our party of four entered English's with a bit of trepidation. Let me say that the food, staring with wonderful oysters (we're from New England and New York City so we know from oysters), whole Brill and sea bass cooked to perfection, was delicious. Our waiter was extremely informative and provided attentive service. If you're going to Brighton and want a great dining experience you won't go wrong at English's.

Dear Lew P
Thank you so much for such a positive review. It is much appreciated. I am so please we could do our bit for the improvement of the reputation of seaside dining!
Andre
“Wow!, what a superb restuarant!!!”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I was on holiday in Brighton last week & had the most fantastic lunch!. Great service from friendly, attentive waiting staff as well as excellent food made for a real treat!. The high standard of deliciously prepared food was reflected in the price!- value for money!. May I recommend the scallops as a starter then monkfish as a main!, the best seafood I've tasted & prepared to a high standard!!!. Chocolate torte with lavender laced honey ice cream & raspberry compote was heavenly!. The perfect seafood restuarant!!!!

Dear Weescotti
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this fantastic review. It is always a pleasure to get such positive feedback. We hope to see you soon again when you're in the area.
Kind regards