“Excellent”

El Mexicano Restaurant
Ranked #100 of 1,124 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish, Central American, South American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: El Mexicano sits in the heart of Brighton's theatre district and prides itself on being the only authentic Mexican restaurant in the area. Buzzy atmosphere is fueled by vibrant Latin vibes, music, cocktails and food. Authentic Mexican cuisine and Spanish tapas is the order of the day, including Enchiladas, mole, sea-food paellas and fajitas. After your meal, visit Valentino, the art deco style bar upstairs, which is licensed until 2am.
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Good food and busy with locals. We booked a table and sat in the cocktail bar upstairs (which you get to by going outside and turning left up some stairs. It is called Valentinos) The owner came up and got us 5 minutes before our booking which gave us plenty of time to finish our drinks. Food was good. We had nachos and chilli. The chilli wasn't too spicy but it had jalepenos if you wanted more heat. Then we ate fajitas. The meal came to just over £30 for the two of us with drinks.

Visited May 2013

kent
“Fabulous”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

2nd visit to this restaurant. Have to say it's amazing. Sat outside in the sun. Had two tapas and a glass of wine for £5.95. The food was excellent quality and the portion was great. The wine was lovely too. Service was fab, all three people that tended our table was polite and friendly. Highly recommend for lunch if you want something tasty.

• Visited May 2013
Brighton, England
“Neither bad nor brilliant”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I visited here for a friend's birthday. The staff were very attentive and polite, offering recommendations or explanations when asked.

I had the queso fundido to start with. I asked for it with chorizo but it arrived without any. This was very strange. It was described as "fondue style melted cheeses" but it just seemed to be one lump of cheddar that had been melted in a microwave and served with mini tortillas. It was very greasy and sickly.

I had steak fajitas for my main. There was no option to how you like your steak as they told me it was just served on a hot sizzling plate. My steak was therefore a little overcooked for my liking, and the actual amount of steak, given the price of the dish, was disappointing too. But the overall flavour and taste of the dish was very nice and I did enjoy my meal, although the portion size could have been more generous.

The menu overall seems very confused. El Mexicano call themselves authentic Mexican, however, they had Spanish style tapas on their menu, plus steaks and hamburgers. Now, I'm sure that you can easily get a steak or a hamburger in Mexico, but this also holds true for Japan, and the Japanese restaurant next door didn't have either on their menu. It just didn't scream authenticity to me, I'm afraid, and felt like random Hispanic food thrown together on a menu.

My only other gripe would be that we were packed into a small table space, with one person shoehorned at the head of the table. Three of us in this corner all had fajitas, meaning that once you had your dinner plate, your tortillas, your sizzling hotplate and your sour cream and refried beans, there wasn't enough room on the table and we had to hold each other's plates to enable us to get to our food!

I wouldn't have any objections going back here again, but on the other hand, I wouldn't bite someone's hand off to return either.

Brighton
“Fantastic Dining Experience”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was an exceptional dining experience. The atmosphere and decor were authentic and fun. The food was amazing and great value for money. But above all the service was out of this world. The waiting staff were polite, efficient and attentive to all our needs. It was fun having a real Mexican waiter too as this really added something extra to the experience.

Really looking forward to returning again soon.

Launceston, United Kingdom
“Unpretentious”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Popped in here simply because it looked half-decent and it had a few empty tables!
Hadn't seen the reviews, which is probably just as well. If I HAD, then I'd have almost certainly not bothered. But having now read some recent reviews, I can't help thinking that (based solely on my own experience) it has been judged rather harshly by some. Yes, there are better and more authentic Mexican restaurants in town, but this one serves up perfectly palatable food in good portions, and is priced so sensibly that it really is hard to complain. Mexican cuisine is never going to win any cordon-bleu prizes, but like all things - you get what you pay for. Go in for a great atmosphere, great prices, friendly staff and wholesome food, and you'll have a good time.