“Visit to Glyndebourne - fab breakfast and friendly staff (June 2012)”
Review of George Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alfriston
George Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Alfriston B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was our first visit to the Inn for a two night visit and trip to Glyndebourne. We had a great time and found the accommodation, food and staff top notch.
We had dinner one evening in the very popular restaurant and found the food and service very good, plentiful and value for money (good wine for about £22 a bottle).
The room we stayed in a great value too and had a really good bed. We had a room at the back, so had a view of the lovely garden. One thing though, don't try to go to bed before 11.30pm, as the Inn's customers go outside in the garden until then. But that's a minor gripe, as this was a great place to stay and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 2, 2012

We understood upon booking that there wasn't an on-site carpark but were assured that parking was available nearby. There is a car park down the high street that you can use but whilst we got in OK upon arrival the next afternoon involved a drive around for the best part of 1/2 an hour before we managed to get a space again. You could not fault the character of the property but the outside garden area looked very tired and would certainly benefit from some new garden furniture. The bedroom had somewhat sloping floors and a large sleigh bed which was very comfortable. However on the high ceiling light there was a bulb out as well as a few cobwebs. The shower over the bath had a screen which leaked a little when used and there was a small old fashioned TV on a table. We thought a flat screen TV mounted on the wall would free up space in this area of the room. The breakfast was very good with all the usual choices and the service friendly. Noise from revellers in the pub and the one opposite didn't last late and we couldn't see this being a problem.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have been in this restaurant before in Nov 2010 and been longing to go back.

We had a great meal, including a shoulder of lamb in red wine sauce and chicken with butter beans, peas and chorizo. Both dishes were to an excellent quality. The ambience was great and the service was super. We had a good evening and looking forward to going back.

Booking is advised.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed here purely by chance after a visit to Brighton, popped in for a pint, and thought it might be a good idea for a stop over. Firstly the good points, charming pub, decent rooms( in light of how old the place is), the staff, unbelievably great,.Now a bad point, dinner... we ordered Lamb Shanks, I know dishes cannot always be cooked fresh, especially shanks, however this was dished up on a plate of mash and was COLD, not even warm, I had a word and it was immediately replaced, by another cold one, credit to the young man looking after us , he was very apologeticalso about the dirty wine glasses on the table which we hadnt touched, the third attempt was ok , but i d lost my appetite by then, we went out for a walk, and upon returning the young lady ( manager I think) told us that the meal and every thing we were drinking that night was on the house. More than fair, Like I said, the stay would have been a total disaster if it werent for the brilliant staff ( I think the Chef could have had a bad day). I dont think it fair to down rate a place over what obviously was a bad moment, because the following day the breakfast was stupendous,,well done,

Room Tip: Prefferably not over the bar area, as it gets abit noisey.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We travelled here after originally booking an inn in Ripley, Surrey for our anniversary. The receptionist at Ripley was rude and unwelcoming, so we decided not to stay there. I remembered this old inn from visiting Alfriston a few years ago. I telephoned them to book a room while we were on the road and they had one available. When we arrived it was like a breath of fresh air compared to the inn at Ripley. They were very welcoming and showed us to a lovely old room with an open fireplace in. My husband suffers from asthma and I requested that we were moved and they moved us to an upgraded room without any problems. The room was spacious and overlooked the old high street,
The evening meal was included in the price and was really plentiful and tasty and served with a smile. Breakfast was huge, enough to set you up for the day.
Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sucgr_epsom
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed here after our wedding along with most of our guests & could not be more pleased. The service is excellent & staff always friendly & helpful, for example I have an egg allergy & they had cleared an 'egg free zone' in the kitchen for me ready for my breakfast order.
The rooms are so full of character, a real change from bland hotel chains! Very clean & comfortable too.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front & did hear some traffic noise but not too much on a Saturday morning...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tracey A
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Amazing place, well run by friendly people.

I stay in 'business' hotels all the time, 2 or 3 nights a week, week in and week out. I love executive rooms with contemporary decor, big TVs, high-speed WiFi, aircon, big bathtubs and powerful showers, luxury toiletries and all the other stuff that goes with it.

The George Inn is certainly not like that. The George is ancient, full of character. It is such a treat to stay there.

Our room (3) was very comfortable in a crazy, half timbered, medieval/tudor (I'm not so hot on history) way. The sleigh bed was large and very comfortable.

Yes, the TV is a 12" portable (I've not seen one of those for a while!) and the shower is not the most impressive. That's not really why you would want to stay here.

Understand the limitations of a 14th century building and enjoy the experience and atmosphere.

Breakfast is epic. Cooked to order, using good local ingredients.

We ate at The George in the evening too. Pretty good, not cheap, but worth it. Again, the overall experience counts as much as the grub.

We took our little dog Rocky with us, he likes The George too.

I'm saving up for a return visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Disgusted17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
The Star at Alfriston
#5 of 6 in Alfriston
Wingrove House
Wingrove House
#1 of 6 in Alfriston

Been to George Inn? Share your experiences!