“Lovely hotel”

Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alfriston
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and had a great time. The weather was very cold but the staff and hotel were so nice we really didn't mind. The staff were friendly and helpful, they could not do enough for everyone.
Our room was comfortable and the food was delicious, both the breakfast and evening meals were outstanding. We also had a meal at the bar and that was just as good .The atmosphere in the evening was brilliant as guests chatted to one another in front of a roaring fire.

The hotel is in a wonderful location for walks into the village and also along the South Downs.

Deans Place accepts well behaved dogs and so we took Sky, our calm Springer along too. I think she enjoyed the holiday just as much as us as she got all the attention and made lots of friends - especially Alfie! So all in all a great break ,thank you to you all at Deans Place Hotel, we shall return again soon when the weather is hot and sunny, can anyone tell us when that might be? !!

1  Thank skyspotty

Reviewed March 15, 2013

What a super spot, the staff are very friendly and helpful, warm and cosy atmosphere. The food in the restaurant was fantastic! The breakfast was just as good too.
The village is full of historic buildings and the pretty thatched Clergy house by the church was the first property taken over by the National trust!

1  Thank anne w
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Nice location on the edge of a pretty village; splendid gardens with lots of outside seating. The room was a good size and enjoyed lovely views over the garden; the bathroom was rather small and the sound insulation from the next room was not good - we could hear the occupants talking which made us uneasy but they were quiet during the night so no complaints.
Off to a bit of a bumpy start as the bottle of champagne I had ordered prior to arrival did not materialise in our room and I had to re-order it from reception.
Down to the bar at 7:00pm prior to a 7:30pm table in the restaurant. I made a mistake by ordering cocktails which are evidently not a speciality, and although we were promptly given menus no-one came to take our order so at 7:30pm we made our way to the restaurant. The head waiter spent a couple of minutes riffling through his sheets of paper to see where we should be seated - about 90 seconds too long in my view.
The table was nice and the food was excellent (apart from the cheese board which suffered from the usual H&S-induced refrigerated lack of taste). Unfortunately a rowdy group who'd been making a lot of noise in the bar came into the dining room just as we finished the first course and were seated immediately next to us, so we had to move table. This was done quite efficiently.
Breakfast was excellent: my wife's poached aggs were done to perfection my bacon and sausages were outstanding.
We stayed at Deans Place using a LivingSocial voucher which represented really good value for money and my wife enjoyed her visit. On balance I'd say this would be a great venue for weddings etc. but I'd be slow to return myself.

Room Tip: Room 1 - nice views.
Reviewed March 3, 2013

10 of us [5 couples], who form a Diners Club took advantage of an offer and we could not have been more happy with ALL aspects of the hotel: location, staff, food, cleanliness etc. It was excellent and strongly encourage others to visit!!!

1  Thank BedfordshireChick
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I have stayed in this hotel a number of times over the last 3/4 years and I have also stayed with business colleagues. The mere fact that we have returned obviously suggests that we enjoy our stays and that is indeed the case. The hotel location is just on the boundary of the village, but still within an easy short walk of the centre of the village. The hotel grounds are very attractive and compliment the countryside beyond. The hotel offers ample well lit free parking as well as free Wi-Fi, which is helpful as there is no mobile signal. One of the first things I note when walking into a hotel is the response and attitude of the reception desk, and in the case of the Deans Place it has always been excellent. In fact I would say that all the staff of the hotel have been professional and courteous on all visits, but some expected inexperience does through show through with the younger staff, however this is made up for by their obvious enthusiasm to be helpful. We have never encountered any staff that cannot make themselves understood in English. We have stayed in various rooms and the décor is best described as traditional English country house. This may not be to all tastes but all the rooms we have stayed in are comfortable as are the beds. Yes, the heavy blankets could be replaced by a duvet but this is down to individual preference. Some of the furniture is looking tired and most certainly the bathrooms could do with upgrading, as well as a good application of bleach and elbow grease on some areas of tile grouting. This does not however detract from what generally are good quality rooms. I am not a great fan of kettles and instant coffees in rooms and if I do want fresh coffee in my room I prefer room service, again this is a personal preference. As far as the restaurant is concerned I feel that the food is consistent and priced accordingly. The Chef is clearly talented with good and imaginative culinary skills and I am sure that if the prices were raised even greater skills would be displayed. What I can say is that the food is really very good and I have not been disappointed with any meal. However this is not a restaurant that is looking at a Michelin Star and one should not expect that level of service, this, I stress is not a criticism. In conclusion, for both hotel and restaurant there is room for improvement, however the fact remains that this establishment is way above average and offers excellent quality and value for a fair price and I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Renone
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Returned to Deans Place for a couple of nights and had a great meal on a Saturday night.
The food is excellent,being veggies,they have a fantastic choice of 4 meals to choose from.
The rooms are a good size(ask for room 23 if you can).
The management and staff are really friendly and they will do all they can to make your stay a great one.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stevemacAshbourne
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have just had a super two night stay in Dean Place in Alfriston. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Our room overlooked the garden and lake which was charming. It was a very quiet room. The meals were very tasty and the cream tea was so good. They have a bar menu for lunch time and the potted shrimp with melba toast was very nice. We sat by a log fire and relaxed and read newspapers. Very lazy break with a nice wander into Alfriston for coffee. Alfriston is a pretty village with a National Trust property to see. Not far from the coast.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 222Kate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
The Star at Alfriston
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!