“Good Value”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alfriston
Woking, United Kingdom
“Good Value”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We came here on a groupon Voucher- dinner bed and breakfast for £110 which gave excellent value. The room was clean, comfortable and a good size with a spacious ensuite. The dinner was very enjoyable on the whole but the chef really needs to go easy on the salt levels!! You can always add salt at the table if you need more. Service at breakfast was a little slow as we ordered a la carte and the waitress seemed to have language issues and brought the wrong things. Overall though we enjoyed the atmosphere and facilities and would recommend.

1 Thank taiters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Quite recently had a couple of days at Deans Place with my wife thanks to an offer from Travel Zoo.

Absolutely loved the place - I have to say it's probably the best hotel I've ever stayed at.

For starters, the staff seemed to spend every waking moment tripping over themselves in a viciously competitive game of "Who can offer the best customer service?" Counting the number of 'sirs' in each sentence was quite funny and I entertained myself by trying to find something wrong, but every time I though I was close, they'd outflank me with a "Knock on the Door and Offer The Customer a Selection of Free Yummy Biscuits Manoeuvre" Damn them! ;-) One-nil.

The food at the restaurant was pretty good (although my wife thought the menu a bit pretentious and the food a bit rich for her) I felt I'd gatecrashed some posh London diner and expected to be turfed out at any moment. I always feel the weird need to not bother waiters in restaurants by telling them I'm vegetarian, but these guys saw me coming and whipped up a menu just for us carrot-crunchers. Dean Place 2, Me 0.

The location, about 3 minutes from the village of Alfriston at a slow walk, was perfect, with good off-road parking and some really well-kept formal gardens. The lawn, I noticed, had stripes you could cut yourself on, and it made me want to drive home and attack my Flymo with a hammer. 3-0.

I did eventually find something "wrong." One of the neighbouring houses over the road keeps chickens, as well as a pair of ultra-competitive cockerels who liked nothing better than a 5am raucous cock-a-frikkin-doo. it woke me up the first morning, probably because I keep chickens myself and woke up expecting my girls to be duffing up a fox before I realised. The second night, I slept straight through. 3-1.

And then, they came up with a winner. Room 8 came with the added bonus of a four-poster bed and a really comfy mattress. I really didn't want to leave at this point but my wife said we had to and so that was that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kbaughan1
Olney, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We had a two night mid week break here in October 2012. The hotel is very old with beams and flagstones in reception and the bar, so plenty of character for those looking for old world charm. However, what made it for us was the quality of the food which was excellent. Breakfast was all you could wish for and dinner was true fine dining, not cheap, but well worth it for a really interesting menu, excellent presentation and a wealth of flavour. The staff are also a credit to the hotel. They were without exception, smiling, friendly and helpful and obviously intent on making your stay as enjoyable as possible. We are already planning a return visit in the spring.

1 Thank hilaryandray
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We visited Dean's Place at the end of August on a busy Sunday to celebrate a 90th birthday. As it was very much a family affair we seated ourselves at the bottom of the hotel grounds well away from most other people who were on the terrace. In spite of the steps and the long trek to find us both the service and the tea were faultless. I cannot recommend it highly enough, both for value and also for content. The champagne cream tea at £18 was superb. I have previously paid more or less the same at other establishments for a cream tea without the champagne! 11 out of 10 to you Dean's Place, we were so impressed that we're planning to return at the same time next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband decided to treat me to a night at Deans Place for my Birthday. What a great Hotel tucked away in the country with lovely views. What impressed us the was the very friendly welcome at reception and also how polite, efficient, helpful and friendly all the staff were - they couldn't do enough for us. We had a very nice meal although I would suggest you check the menu before you book as it may not be to everyone's liking. Great buffet style breakfast, hot or cold and a nice selection. We upgraded to the first floor, and lovely big room wiith great views - I would definitely recommend asking for a "Room with a View". I would definitely recommend this hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked this stay a while ago and dealt with a very helpful lady called Lindsay who had great knowledge of the hotel and surrounding areas.
I had booked a ground floor room as my wife was due to have an operation on her hip which came with difficulty when it came to stairs. On check in the room was on the first floor but was quickly sorted by a young girl called Dani, who continued to be of great assistance arranging the room to be a twin bed and assist us with luggage. The room was great with a lovely view and plenty of space which was a concern at the time of booking. The only downside is the bathroom needed a little work doing to it.
I booked in for dinner and was warmly greeted by the restaurant staff and the food was delightful. We both chose to have the specials of the day and glad we did. We then proceeded to the bar where again we had a warm greeting and a friendly chat.
I took a walk up to the village which is in short proximity and explored the downs, which was recommended by the receptionist, unfortunately my wife couldn't join me due to hip but hopefully next time.
I do want to say a big thank you to Dani who really did go out of her way to make this a delightful stay and but it needs to be said that all the staff were delightful during our stay and was so good we booked to return again when we departed (this time bringing our little dog as they are welcomed in the hotel which is a pleasant surprise we did not know about until check out.)

Room Tip: Make the most of the surroundings and book a room with a view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jersey
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I recently hosted my 60th birthday lunch party for 30 people at Deans Place and it was worth every penny! The room we had was the garden room which is light and airy and opens out onto the patio and garden; you had the feeling it was away from the main hotel. The menu they sent me was just superb and not something I would have come up with by myself. The staff were attentive but not intrusive, professional yet welcoming. The food was cooked to perfection. Everyone I invited had an absolutely wonderful afternoon. Thank you Deans Place, you made it a memorable day for all of us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
The Star at Alfriston
#5 of 40 in Eastbourne
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!