“Mind blowing!”

Badgers @ The Old Village Bakery
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Alfriston
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to our historic tea house! Alfriston was granted its market charter in 1406, and the house at Badgers dates from 1510 – over 500 years old! We know it was the village bakery for 200 years until 1933, and proprietor Michael Luttig and manager Lynn Attfield continue the tradition of exceptional baking on the premises. “Dissenters” from St Andrews Church met here in the late 18th Century until they built their own independent church (now the United Reformed Church) in 1801. We even have a Standing Stone in the pavement outside the front door…
Reviewed June 3, 2013

What an amazing experience it was having lunch in the beautiful garden of Badgers. the food was delicious, service excellent and the host a hoot! I have never tasted such light and fluffy cakes before. Because they are so popular, they tend to get busy at times, so come early for a real treat.

1  Thank bazzags

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I've been to Badgers many times and always receive a lovely warm welcome from all their staff. Their dry cappuccino is always perfect, hot, strong and very very frothy! (many places don't know what a dry cap is!). Today I had a scone which was so light I think it must have been made by an angel! I don't usually like scones but theirs are A-mazing!

1  Thank Kate E
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We arrived here at around 1530 on a Saturday afternoon and thought we were very lucky to find a table in the garden as it was a sunny day. The menus were on the table and we spent a considerable time deciding what to have. Eventually (after at a least 15 minutes) we had to call a waitress over only to be told they stopped serving food at 1500. This leads me to three complaints (1) why didn't the staff, who had obviously seen, us not tell us they had stopped serving food as it was obvious we were studying the menu in some detail which was unlikely to be just for a drink? (2) why not take food menus off the table if you are not serving food or at least make it clear in some way? (3) why would you stop serving afternoon tea at 1500 in a tourist destination on a sunny Saturday afternoon in summer - I guess that it up to the owners but it makes no commercial sense whatsoever. I have no idea what the food is like but I won't be going back anytime soon to find out. I am a senior tripadvisor contributor so have written many reviews - this is the first one I have rated as terrible.

12  Thank Fi_07
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Always a warm welcome from Michael and his staff. Nice to have lunch in the sun trap garden. David had cheddar baked potato and I had a Brie ploughman's both with salad and crisps. To finish I had a scone and strawberry jam and David had an excellent piece of Victoria sandwich. Nice silver teapots and china cups etc.

2  Thank Rob D
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Lovely food, tea served in silver tea pots and bone china cups, great value for lunch and high-tea. A favourite spot to take ladies who lunch :)

2  Thank Earthbound-angel